Has anyone tried Plum In Cognac yet?

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
I have just been reading and listening to reviews of this award-winning
Scents of Wood fragrance.
It certainly sounds unique and I am wondering if it has any resemblance to
Feminite du Bois. It doesn't sound like it's similar to Plum Japonais.

I adore the note of plum in a fragrance and the note of barrel-aged cognac also
sounds very appealing to my nose.

If you've been lucky enough to smell this one I'd appreciate your thoughts on it
and whether it is unisex or leans more towards masculine or feminine.

Clarissochka

Jul 1, 2015
Here are some reviews https://www.colognoisseur.com/?submit=→&s=Scent+of+wood
My experience was not that good, I ended up cancelling my subscription - once they sent me the wrong bottle (duplicate of a previous shipment), second time bottle leaked a bit. While they fixed the first issue, in the second case leakage was not big enough to complain, but that just raised quality concerns on my side.
In terms of scents, I tried Sandalwood in Oak, Oak in Oak and Cedar in Acacia. None of them wooed me. Sandalwood in Oak was not an impressive sandalwood, cedar in oak frankly smelled like an arm pit and I don’t remember oak in oak at all. Unremarkable, and overpriced.
I think Scentbird sells travel automizers of sandalwood and cedar.
Plum one is supposed to be the best one but I have not tried it either.

May 18, 2021
I have so far received:
1: Cedar in Acacia: tried a while ago, don’t remember much detail other than it was too much on the sweet side for my taste
2: Sandalwood in Oak - well balanced burnt sugar w pink pepper opening that progressed to an iris inflected sandalwood - I’m guessing either synthetic or Australian sandalwood as it had this slightly cloying note that those give me ( in the scents defense, most people don’t get this reaction so I think it’s just me)
3: Oak in Oak: this is my second favorite, dry leathery woods, well balanced and calm. I think the saffron is done really well here.
4: Plum in Cognac: my favorite, the plum is so delicious and juicy and a bit boozy, not cloying, not too sweet. There is definite vetyver as supporting player and this stays after the intensity of the plum fades. While this obviously has traces of the idea that Feminite du Bois brought to the table, the plum is much more the star player, with the woods being way in the background. It feels a more in your face composition than the SL. I think it’s fairly unisex.

Also- there have been some issues w delivery times due to pandemic related supply chain problems however the company has been very transparent with this and offered very generous discount to compensate. Customer service is really great.

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
I have so far received:
1: Cedar in Acacia: tried a while ago, don’t remember much detail other than it was too much on the sweet side for my taste
2: Sandalwood in Oak - well balanced burnt sugar w pink pepper opening that progressed to an iris inflected sandalwood - I’m guessing either synthetic or Australian sandalwood as it had this slightly cloying note that those give me ( in the scents defense, most people don’t get this reaction so I think it’s just me)
3: Oak in Oak: this is my second favorite, dry leathery woods, well balanced and calm. I think the saffron is done really well here.
4: Plum in Cognac: my favorite, the plum is so delicious and juicy and a bit boozy, not cloying, not too sweet. There is definite vetyver as supporting player and this stays after the intensity of the plum fades. While this obviously has traces of the idea that Feminite du Bois brought to the table, the plum is much more the star player, with the woods being way in the background. It feels a more in your face composition than the SL. I think it’s fairly unisex.

Also- there have been some issues w delivery times due to pandemic related supply chain problems however the company has been very transparent with this and offered very generous discount to compensate. Customer service is really great.

Thanks for the reviews. Very interesting. Are they hugely expensive do you know?

May 18, 2021
The full bottles are $240 but you can get 15ml versions of the scents, I think for under $50? I have the subscription but ordered plum in cognac 15 ml separately because I was too impatient :)

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Wow, those bottles are almost exact copies of the old Christian Lacroix C'est La Vie bottles:

scents-of-wood-sandalwood-in-oak.jpg

s-l300.jpg

c-est-la-vie.jpg

Javito

Sep 15, 2021
You are right, plum in cognac won perfune extraordinaire for a reason, this is the best fragrance I have ever smelled, I was so sure about this one that I blind bought it and had it sent to my country, Uruguay...it is worth every dollar, a beast, unique, 240 the full bottle and I will buy more of these

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Received my plum in cognac, and its a disappointment.
It has an amazing start of Juicy plum, i will give it that, but its gone as fast as a spark.
To me - what matters is not only the start, but mid and base.
Mid and base are the same, flat, indistinct, jumbo of smells that is a skin scent to me. It has a bit of smoke to it, and very faint cinnamon akin to crimson rocks, but much quieter.
Overall a flop and a waste of money.

Last edited:

Clarissochka

Jul 1, 2015
Thank you for posting it. I end up trusting your nose a lot - you have mentioned a few fragrances on other threads and they were totally right on.
Going on a tangent here - but I have been noticing that some fragrance reviewer blogs are always right on - when they give something high marks, I am very confident in blind buying. Others (majority of them) - really not so much - a positive review of a fragrance by them has taught me to run away (or ignore positive marks). Feels like some of the reviewers just churn out positive reviews on daily basis, making me question quality of their work.
I end up trusting selected set of my fellow basenoters more than active reviewer blogs (with 2 exceptions)!

stuigi

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 3, 2004
Just received my bottle after less than two weeks. It definitely has a boozy plum vibe, as the cognac is definitely present. I have never smelled anything quite like it and it is surely unisex. I can see the appeal to a panel of judges. And yes, it does have a vetiver type dryness and slight smokiness. I can't stop smelling it since I sprayed it a few minutes ago.

May 18, 2021
Mak-7 that’s disappointing - on my skin the juicy plum lasted a while but I got no smoke and then there was a bright vetiver note that unfortunately would not quit and became too much after a while, though I’ve noticed this happens with certain fragrances quite a bit on my skin.

May 18, 2021
Thank you for posting it. I end up trusting your nose a lot - you have mentioned a few fragrances on other threads and they were totally right on.
Going on a tangent here - but I have been noticing that some fragrance reviewer blogs are always right on - when they give something high marks, I am very confident in blind buying. Others (majority of them) - really not so much - a positive review of a fragrance by them has taught me to run away (or ignore positive marks). Feels like some of the reviewers just churn out positive reviews on daily basis, making me question quality of their work.
I end up trusting selected set of my fellow basenoters more than active reviewer blogs (with 2 exceptions)!

What fragrance blogs have you noticed to be right on?

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Mak-7 that’s disappointing - on my skin the juicy plum lasted a while but I got no smoke and then there was a bright vetiver note that unfortunately would not quit and became too much after a while, though I’ve noticed this happens with certain fragrances quite a bit on my skin.

My skin is a perfume murderer, so if it lasts longer on your skin, count me as jealous.
Having spent some time, as i mentioned, a very mild in strength, but elements Crimson rocks were there, and partially insomnia by faviol seferi, but once again, just a general tone.
I went to take a shower, and after it, i had a smell of smoky aromqchemical akin to norlimbanol, so that smokiness might become more apparentl..maybe. as far as bright vetiver - didnt experience that.
I will update if anything changes on another wear that ill do in a day or 2.

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
Received my plum in cognac, and its a disappointment.
It has an amazing start of Juicy plum, i will give it that, but its gone as fast as a spark.
To me - what matters is not only the start, but mid and base.
Mid and base are the same, flat, indistinct, jumbo of smells that is a skin scent to me. It has a bit of smoke to it, and very faint cinnamon akin to crimson rocks, but much quieter.
Overall a flop and a waste of money.

My thoughts exactly. These you tuber's are hyping this up.

Latest News