Has A*Men Pure Malt been reformulated?

Nelsen

Aug 21, 2013
My bottle smells a lot different, at least from what I can remember when I originally smelled it in 2011. I got this bottle in December 2014, and opened it about a week ago. I'm getting a strong rubbing alcohol scent every time I apply it, which lasts for a few hours. I don't get any vanilla (which I remember it having). I bought the bottle off of the Mugler website, so it's definitely real. Is it just me and my nose?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
My bottle is from the year it first came on the market. I have smelled more recently available but haven't personally noticed any significant differences. However, I believe I recall reading that others find that what's out there now is different from what they remember also.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
My bottle is from the year it first came on the market. I have smelled more recently available but haven't personally noticed any significant differences. However, I believe I recall reading that others find that what's out there now is different from what they remember also.

I agree with hednic, I didn't see any real signs of reformulation. The bottle that I have was from 2011.

Nelsen

Aug 21, 2013
I'll look into it a little more, but I'm fairly certain that the scent of my bottle is (in some aspects, subtly) different than the original.

silentrich

May 27, 2009
There's a Basenotes member that has a website dedicated to testing different versions of popular reformulated fragrances. I believe his name is Marciu. He seems to be the definitive person to ask.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
I think it should at least smell SOMETHING like the Pure Malt you remembered. There's certainly no reason it should smell like alcohol, of all things.

I'd contact them and tell them what happened and ask to return it for another.

Before you do that, you might get a sample of the current version, just to make sure the juice in your bottle really is off.

Mitchapalooza

Feb 28, 2014
The original pure malt smelled a lot more similar to the original a*men to my nose anyway and the berries were in the drydown. The new version has a lot more of the boozy sweet berries right off the bat. But it could be my nose evolved. But try spraying it a few times first.. i think i remember someone else saying theirs smelled like alcohol at first and it went away after they sprayed it a few times.

Poohdini

May 6, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if it has been reformulated. But still smells similar enough that I can't tell them apart. I also own a Pure Malt Creation bottle and smells the same to me as well, might be my nose.

SmellyFinger

May 21, 2014
Nothing like a good reformulation rumor to drive up prices and help out the marks who paid $200 a bottle a few years ago. FN has it for about fifty bucks now. The resellers on Ebay and the sales threads need to start adjusting their prices downward. LOL!

Last edited:

Nelsen

Aug 21, 2013
I suppose it's just my nose, then. I appreciate all the reassurance that the scent has remained virtually unchanged; makes me feel a little bit better about my purchase.

Onderbroekenlol

Feb 27, 2015
Well i had that too with the original version,there was a very wrong and weird alcohol smell,like it has been tampered with in some way...so i threw it away.But still wondering why cause couple of years back it was my favorite and could not remember it smelled weird in any way......

bgoc

The Ultimate Smell
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2011
Just checking if there have been any more reformulation rumours on this? I am looking to add 3rd backup bottle...

Latest News