Halston Z-14 vintage - recent purchase

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
Hi all,

this is a recent purchase of vintage Z 14. Note the fact that it is splash, is marked cologne,125ml and has a short list of ingredients.

Ciao

Z-14 1.jpg Z14 2.jpg Z14 3.jpg Z14 4.jpg Z14 5.jpg

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
I am so jealous! This was my first designer fragrance in about 1984. I narrowed it down to this or Polo and this won. I will never forget how amazing it felt, walking around the mall, basking in my new fragrance. I dread reformulations. This was a classic.

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
Demon,

thanks for that reply.

No need to be jealous - I bought this from an eBay seller called tarvacin, located in the US. I'm sure they have more of these. Just contact them. They start cheap (about $18) and never seem to get any bids. If things go like they usually do, I'm sure you can get it cheap.

Ciao

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
Thanks gents - appreciate all your posts.

@Pluran - I have a more recent gift set of this, with a spray EDT and splash after shave. The box lists tree moss and oak moss, so it may be the same as yours. However I find my spray EDT to be inferior and different to the splash cologne in my first post. I find the spray to be like pleasantly spiced olive oil, whereas the splash cologne has a really lovely coherence and slight spiciness that I love. Just my 2 cents.

Ciao

Last edited:

z14

Sep 30, 2011
Congratulations! In 1980 I had the splash, after shave lotion/ cream and cologne. What a scent! A wild love of mine told me many years later; I bought Z14 for every lover after you-the scent was so good- Enjoy.

pluran

Mar 2, 2006
.......@Pluran - I have a more recent gift set of this, with a spray EDT and splash after shave. The box lists tree moss and oak moss, so it may be the same as yours. However I find my spray EDT to be inferior and different to the splash cologne in my first post. I find the spray to be like pleasantly spiced olive oil, whereas the splash cologne has a really lovely coherence and slight spiciness that I love. Just my 2 cents.

Ciao

Who knows. There may have been another reformulation that also contains oakmoss and tree moss but in smaller quantities along other changes that confuse the balance. The stuff I have seems rich, smooth, dark and complex as ever. Hard to know what goes on with the formulas as they change. It has to do with a lot of things other than just oakmoss. I've definitely spent enough time looking for all kinds of fragrances as they were intended to be. A hell of a lot of money, too. Gets tedious but it's fun and definitely worth it.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Jan 3, 2009
Why bother with Halston Z-14 when we have Tom Ford Italian Cypress. :p

No, seriously... I do like Italian Cypress because of the similarity but I can not justify its pricetag when Elisabeth Arden has done a pretty good job as usual with the current formulation of Halston fragrances.

The idea of vintage is tempting. But a splash bottle... I never end up reaching for them. And because of the larger air exposure they are more likely to have gone bad. Yes, I know I can decant. But generic bottles are not the same.

Check out Italian Cypress !!

Last edited:

RichNTacoma

Jul 4, 2013
Well, today I received my "Jeff Gordon Special Edition Carton" of z-14. This is fantastic stuff. It actually reminds me of a split the middle between Italian Cypress, and dare I say, Chypre Palatin. Now I think I am starting to see the "annoyance" (read, rancor and rage) at the banning of oakmoss. This is really great stuff, and was dirt dirt cheap!

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
Are there different editions of the Jeff Gordon z-14 ? He was born in 1971, and the bottles I have seen on eBay show him as an adult - he looks like early to mid 20's in the boxes I have seen - if you have z-14 bottles with pictures of him as an adult, I'm wondering how "vintage" these bottles can really be, given that it was released in 1976 ? judging from the photos, I would guess the boxes are from the mid 1990's.

Just curious.

RichNTacoma

Jul 4, 2013
They are form the mid 2000s They are "vintage" in that they contain oakmoss in addition to treemoss. For collectors, an early bottle might be important, for me,it was the juice with oakmoss.

Been sniffing myself for the last several hours, this is amazing stuff.

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
Ah I see. Thanks Rich.

For those who understand these issues better than I, it would be interesting to know about the amount of oakmoss in the Jeff Gordon bottle as compared to my bottle in the first post. I don't think oakmoss is banned outright, I believe you simply can't use as much as you used to.

RichNTacoma

Jul 4, 2013
From the general tone of discussions, it seems that the actual amount that is allowed to be used is functionally too little to create the desired effect, thus changing the nature of many perfume. I bought the new z14 about a year or so ago, blind, without knowing anything about reformulations and such. I wore it twice, and tossed it.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
Ah I see. Thanks Rich.

For those who understand these issues better than I, it would be interesting to know about the amount of oakmoss in the Jeff Gordon bottle as compared to my bottle in the first post. I don't think oakmoss is banned outright, I believe you simply can't use as much as you used to.

I've got four different formulations of this one, and the only one that is "way off" is the recent one that has a lot of cinnamon at first. That's actually quite interesting in its own right, but has nothing to do with Z-14, IMO. After an hour or so it smells more like the older versions, except not as strong. The other three are all very similar but I like the first one best (made by Halston), due to better balance and note separation. When people say "vintage" I take that to mean that it smells "right," not that it is very old. Of course, that implies there were at least two formulations and one is significantly different from the other (s). And remember, this is based upon what we think we are smelling - since we don't have "insider knowledge" (at least I don't) all that you can expect is an impression.

RichNTacoma

Jul 4, 2013
...and TF has excellent performance (longevity/sillage). Just save some money and get the good stuff. Problem Solved.

Save some money indeed. I bought two of the vintage bottles this week for 14.00, for 4.2 oz. Tom Ford IC, which I love also, is 225 bucks for 1.7 oz.......Not sure which I like more, in truth, but for the money, well...

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
Save some money indeed. I bought two of the vintage bottles this week for 14.00, for 4.2 oz. Tom Ford IC, which I love also, is 225 bucks for 1.7 oz.......Not sure which I like more, in truth, but for the money, well...
Where did you have the good fortune of finding these?

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks, Rich! I just got one of two Gordon-package 1 oz sprays today and am ecstatic! I will be buying backups now for future need. The supplies won't last forever :(

Sailor Dave

Apr 7, 2011
Love this scent. Unfortunately I cant find it in EDT, only cologne and the longevity on my skin is only an hour or so. Wonder if they ever did make an EDT version.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
Owned the current formula (treemoss) which was awful to say the least (sold it).
Now I got my hands on a vintage 30ml spray bottle and the difference is night and day to me! This stuff is good indeed and smelling completely different from current version!
I now finally understand the 'hype' on vintage Z-14.

Katana

May 16, 2013
vintage, is indeed better. I have one vintage about 3/4 full and 2 "reformulations" however, if you add a touch of patchouli oil, and a little Jovan musk for men (no I am not kidding) it improves the "new" one immensely.

Puig

Oct 4, 2011
I picked up a bottle of the Jeff Gordon "vintage" on Ebay a few weeks ago, it was pretty cheap, ended up being spoiled, tossed it. May think about trying again, but you never know with these old bottles if they have been stored correctly. I seem to get spoiled vintages quite often.

Tappio

Jun 21, 2011
Love this scent. Unfortunately I cant find it in EDT, only cologne and the longevity on my skin is only an hour or so. Wonder if they ever did make an EDT version.

I believe all the bottles are labeled as "cologne"; I have several bottles of Z-14 and 1-12 and they all say cologne on them. Some have speculated that this is a marketing tactic to make the fragrance more accessible to guys who shop for "cologne", not EDTs. Regardless, I get decent (but not great) longevity from Z-14 and 1-12.

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
OK. How about some tips and clues for identifying vintage bottles?

The first post has some tips and photos of what to look for : splash bottle, marked cologne rather than EDT, short ingredient list. Might be about as vintage as you can get these days.

Failing that, try looking for the "Jeff Gordon" edition. It has his photo on the packaging. This dates from the early 2000's, so is not vintage, but has been discussed very positively here.

Last edited:

Latest News