Halston Z-14 (old formulation) vs (new formulation)

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
photo%207_zpsjbc91ijl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Two minis--the smaller, 1/4 oz. is from EA and contains oakmoss and the larger, 1/2 oz. one, is from 1979 (is had come with a same sized 1-12). Both very similar!

MonkeyBars

May 18, 2011
Italian Cypress is more round and deep, but a little less edgy than Z-14; I think it's more coniferous and less animalic (castoreum). Nice composition though I don't find it 8x better (the price differential).

SOTF

Feb 17, 2015
Is there a way to have any feel for the era simply based on bottle? My bottle has an underlined 15 on the bottom with a 7 inside the cap. Hardly much info. The previous owner claims it to be late 80's up to late 90's.

Thanks for the replies with more experiences, what a helpful thread.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Jeff Gordon versions definitely get the thumbs up, as I've never seen one WITHOUT it saying "oakmoss or evernia prunastri" on it. It's fine if it says treemoss on it IN ADDITION to oakmoss or evernia prunastri. Certain gift sets that are still hanging around Ebay are the legitimate good formula (but you have to know what to look for in packaging appearance and there aren't many left). But there a decent amount of Gordon versions on Ebay (for now), but it's on the endangered species list.

I stumbled upon this video review a few months ago, thought the crowd here would like to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1_gT84ZGg

Last edited:

SOTF

Feb 17, 2015
Still seeking an answer for indentification. My cap has a 7 inside it, and the bottle an underlined 15 on the bottom. That is all. Sprayer appears more modern than some I see which are brown and have grooves cut. The smell is not a favorite. Might be the lavender that is just extremely powerful., though I don't get much projection. Will wear this and see if it grows on me.

MonkeyBars

May 18, 2011
I'm not aware of any specific differences in the bottle.

The new stuff is all lemon & cinnamon and very brash, like floor cleaner. The old is woody and rich, with a light cinnamon touch.

SOTF

Feb 17, 2015
I bought a gordon era z14 to compare. It seems what I have fits the first description. Doesn't smell enjoyable, smells like cleaner and has no projection what so ever.

HankHarvey

Jul 15, 2014
I tried some vintage 1983 juice and the difference with my 2009 bottle was minor, easily explained by aging and maceration. Thumbs up on 2005-2010 juice from me.

My "8SB1" bottle was issued December 2008. Oak moss is listed on the box. Smells terrific, but the stuff is already 7 years old. Can't speak to 2014 batches.

kcdoc

Jun 1, 2015
Well after a decade of "wonderfully" enjoying Z-14 I captured, Aha, a large 8 oz bottle and paid for ot!! as well.
But IT IS AWFUL
NOT BAD.............BLOODY AWFUL and nothing, absolutely nothing like the old Z-14. EA (Elizabeth Arden) who bought this product changed the formulation to the crappy floor cleaner smell it now has..............

DO NOT,,,,,,,,,,UNLESS YOU ARE A FLOOR BUT THIS CRAP...........AND PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH UNWITTING PEOPLE.
SHAME ON ELIZABETH ARDEN

oh yes, they are not interested in refunding or having the crap back--likely they have barrels they cannot sell.
ugh

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
Well after a decade of "wonderfully" enjoying Z-14 I captured, Aha, a large 8 oz bottle and paid for ot!! as well.
But IT IS AWFUL
NOT BAD.............BLOODY AWFUL and nothing, absolutely nothing like the old Z-14. EA (Elizabeth Arden) who bought this product changed the formulation to the crappy floor cleaner smell it now has..............

DO NOT,,,,,,,,,,UNLESS YOU ARE A FLOOR BUT THIS CRAP...........AND PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH UNWITTING PEOPLE.
SHAME ON ELIZABETH ARDEN

oh yes, they are not interested in refunding or having the crap back--likely they have barrels they cannot sell.
ugh

Well, I doubt they will win any "truth in advertising" awards any time soon! LOL.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
But IT IS AWFUL

SHAME ON ELIZABETH ARDEN

ugh

A first post full of rage...................lol
But actually I agree 100% as the current version is true garbage imo as well!

ruffin

Mar 21, 2010
This my juice i guess from 2009-2010 batch....it state Oakmoss and Treemoss. Is there got any different from batch 2011-currently?

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

H3.jpg

ruffin

Mar 21, 2010
That great...worth I've been restock my bottle...deep and linear citrus herbal blasting and smooth with leather hookah

P

Pollux

Methinks it turned into a fleeting, harmless EdC. Not bad, but quite different to what it used to be. Like a, let's say, MIDI version of one of Beethoven's classics - please, don't get it wrong: for me pefumery is not art; this is being mentioned as a metaphor.

IMHO, Gianfranco Ferre for Man / Gianfranco Ferre for men has more similarities to the vintage Z14. Unf, it has been discontinued.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
Methinks it turned into a fleeting, harmless EdC. Not bad, but quite different to what it used to be. Like a, let's say, MIDI version of one of Beethoven's classics - please, don't get it wrong: for me pefumery is not art; this is being mentioned as a metaphor.

IMHO, Gianfranco Ferre for Man / Gianfranco Ferre for men has more similarities to the vintage Z14. Unf, it has been discontinued.

From what I remember, the last of the original style scent was weak, but the new one with the strong cinnamon is definitely not weak, though when that element wears off it's weaker, which is common for probably 80% or more of designer scents, for example. In fact, this led me to think in terms of an "opening" and a drydown, rather than the traditional three stage notion (AFAICT, I was the first to start using this term in this context, so I am now a legitimate legend in my own mind LOL).

Last edited:
P

Pollux

From what I remember, the last of the original style scent was weak, but the new one with the strong cinnamon is definitely not weak, though when that element wears off it's weaker, which is common for probably 80% or more of designer scents, for example. In fact, this led me to think in terms of an "opening" and a drydown, rather than the traditional three stage notion (AFAICT, I was the first to start using this term in this context, so I am now a legitimate legend in my own mind LOL).

You mean "three stage notion"? Buddy, you got a plagiarist here!
The one I have is like the original, but it is "thinner" and fleeting. Overspraying works but still, it is far from the original.

Creedfanboy

Banned
Oct 15, 2015
I have a reformulated bottle of Z-14 and i think it smells great has great longevity for the price ($8). The best buy out there. Dont worry bout reformulations. Becuase no one will know about a reformulation in a fragrance but the people on basenotes and frangrantica which is very few.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I tried out the latest Z-14 on a piece of paper and thought it was nice, if old school. The cinnamon was there in the background, but subtle. Ended up buying it and wearing...all I could smell was Big Red like everyone else is saying. I was dying wearing this and scrubbed it off later.

How different is Oakmoss-lacking, Big Red version to vintage Z-14? Completely different smell altogether? I'm not really good at reading notes, so is the original comparable to anything else out there? Is there a cinnamon smell in the original? I've heard that John Varvatos Vintage is reminiscent of the original Z-14, but I've heard that JV Vintage is also a modern twist on Drakkar Noir, and I find it hard to believe that Drakkar Noir and Halston Z-14 smell the same.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I recently purchased a lot and one of the bottles in it was Z-14 cologne spray, made by EA, batch code 4KG, which according to the Cosmetic Check site is August, 2014. I sprayed it on, thinking I'd get the powerful cinnamon, but it smelled more like a murky version of the vintage/original. The strange thing is that my cinnamon-heavy one is batch code 3PA1, which supposedly is November, 2013 (it's a 200 ml bottle and only says cologne, not cologne spray, though it is a spray). Any ideas how this is possible? Could the 4KG be from 2004? I don't have the box for either one.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
I recently purchased a lot and one of the bottles in it was Z-14 cologne spray, made by EA, batch code 4KG, which according to the Cosmetic Check site is August, 2014. I sprayed it on, thinking I'd get the powerful cinnamon, but it smelled more like a murky version of the vintage/original. The strange thing is that my cinnamon-heavy one is batch code 3PA1, which supposedly is November, 2013 (it's a 200 ml bottle and only says cologne, not cologne spray, though it is a spray). Any ideas how this is possible? Could the 4KG be from 2004? I don't have the box for either one.
It is most likely 2004, since batchcodes are mostly reused every ten years.
Martin

AceyMan

wearing dad's aftershave™
Basenotes Plus
Mar 3, 2007
For anyone reading this who just loves the Z-14 smell and don't want to fiddle with digging up vintage: any Z-14 lover should swoon over Etat Libre d'Orange's Je Suis Un Homme which I believe is available in the small 30 ml bottle. I may get me some my own self.

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
How different is Oakmoss-lacking, Big Red version to vintage Z-14? Completely different smell altogether? I'm not really good at reading notes, so is the original comparable to anything else out there? Is there a cinnamon smell in the original? I've heard that John Varvatos Vintage is reminiscent of the original Z-14, but I've heard that JV Vintage is also a modern twist on Drakkar Noir, and I find it hard to believe that Drakkar Noir and Halston Z-14 smell the same.
The post-2009/2010 formulas containing only treemoss are heavy on chemical cinnamon, worstened by adding Cinnamal (cinnamon aldehyde) with no oakmoss to keep it all grounded. I have a 2006 cologne splash of Z-14, and it smells very different from the current trash. Containing oakmoss and the cinnamon in the background, it's closer to the 90's or even pre-barcode editions.

masonjarjar

Dec 27, 2007
First try comparing EA Treemoss vs EA Oakmoss/Treemoss.

After about 15 minutes, sprayed on each arm:

EA-T - familiar, has personality of Z-14, but for me, it's not the cinnamon that really sticks out, though it's there, it's the lemon/Pledge top note I get mostly. But overall, I'll admit it's fairly linear.
(note, I'm almost halfway through this bottle, so I do like the stuff, it is what it is I guess)

EA-OT - immediate difference, the lemon is there, but toned down. This version has a more earthy, green vibe to it. Almost smoky too. Multi-dimensional. The citrus is more like an actual top-note, as it's already starting to fade.

The difference is candy vs. a decent dark chocolate. (not that it smells like chocolate, just the quality aspect)

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018

EA-T - familiar, has personality of Z-14, but for me, it's not the cinnamon that really sticks out, though it's there, it's the lemon/Pledge top note I get mostly. But overall, I'll admit it's fairly linear.
(note, I'm almost halfway through this bottle, so I do like the stuff, it is what it is I guess)

EA-OT - immediate difference, the lemon is there, but toned down. This version has a more earthy, green vibe to it. Almost smoky too. Multi-dimensional. The citrus is more like an actual top-note, as it's already starting to fade.

The difference is candy vs. a decent dark chocolate. (not that it smells like chocolate, just the quality aspect)

Excellent descriptions, thanks for that[emoji106]

In current Z-14 I just get too much of that 'Big Red' chewing gum vibe. I mean, I don't mind cinnamon if it's subtle and hi quality, but this one just feels 'off'. I could just be overly sensitive, though.

Admitted, I can only compare it to the 2006 version which, as you pointed out, is very different and I've also never smelled vintage Z-14.

How's the Jeff Gordon version and when was it launched? I know nothing about it. I've mostly heard positive mentions.

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk

Kristian F.

Nov 6, 2018

Ok..so if I didn't like the new EA-T (my Lady said it was way too cinammony..she bakes often, and any gourmand is a NO for me..)

So the EA OT would be more to my (ahem..HER) liking perhaps?

masonjarjar

Dec 27, 2007
Excellent descriptions, thanks for that[emoji106]

In current Z-14 I just get too much of that 'Big Red' chewing gum vibe. I mean, I don't mind cinnamon if it's subtle and hi quality, but this one just feels 'off'. I could just be overly sensitive, though.

Admitted, I can only compare it to the 2006 version which, as you pointed out, is very different and I've also never smelled vintage Z-14.

How's the Jeff Gordon version and when was it launched? I know nothing about it. I've mostly heard positive mentions.

I believe the Jeff Gordon partnership started around the same time.. 2005/2006 - I don't know when the Gordon-branded Z-14 appeared. I'm guessing it's the same as any other Z-14 released between the EA acquisition and the 2011 oakmoss-removing reformulation..

masonjarjar

Dec 27, 2007
Ok..so if I didn't like the new EA-T (my Lady said it was way too cinammony..she bakes often, and any gourmand is a NO for me..)

So the EA OT would be more to my (ahem..HER) liking perhaps?

I think it's definitely worth a try. After over an hour I'm starting to get some Polo Green and Sung Homme type nuances.. so if you like those, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Pre-2010 versions.

Kristian F.

Nov 6, 2018
I think it's definitely worth a try. After over an hour I'm starting to get some Polo Green and Sung Homme type nuances.. so if you like those, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Pre-2010 versions.

Ahh, I do love Polo! So I will seek out the Jeff Gordon bottle..if it doesn't work then, at least I gave it a shot.

Thanks!

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Ahh, I do love Polo! So I will seek out the Jeff Gordon bottle..if it doesn't work then, at least I gave it a shot.

Thanks!

No no no... If it doesn't work, THEN you go for the pre-barcode juice which means ANY bottle o' Z-14 between 1975-1990 [emoji1]
That'll set you up with a load of smoke, moss, leather and greens.

MonkeyBars

May 18, 2011
There are several other excellent frags in the category of (vintage) Z-14. Check out my reply on a different thread from years ago for more info. Any Z-14 fan owes it to themselves to explore these excellent related scents. The closest is definitely Italian Cypress imo, but I don't own it because I think it's a little less interesting despite being deeper, but is drastically more expensive.

HankHarvey

Jul 15, 2014
I have 5 bottles of this one from different eras of the last 20 yrs and none smell overwhelmingly of cinnamon. At some point someone claimed to smell Big Red gum cinnamon and after that everyone claims the cinnamon is too much. I bought a brand new bottle about a year ago and while it contains a noticeable cinnamon note, it actually smells more like my vintage oakmoss & treemoss bottle from 10 yrs ago. Only thing is it's lighter and maybe longevity is cut down by a couple hours. Letting it age a bit to see if maybe it bulks up over time

Nattyboh74

Oct 24, 2018
I have three vintage bottles and the one that is opened smells like Big Red cinnamon IMO. Maybe its a note that is delicate and can be warded off based on storage conditions?

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I don’t know. All I can say is there’s a ton of cinnamon going on.

Last time I wore it, a few weeks back, I got the cinnamon but also citrus with it (mostly lemon, I'd guess), so my perception was slightly different. Then that cinnamon/citrus accord recedes as a dry woody/incense type quality becomes considerably stronger. The older formulations were much different, more notes, better balance, somewhat ambery eventually.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
There are several other excellent frags in the category of (vintage) Z-14. Check out my reply on a different thread from years ago for more info. Any Z-14 fan owes it to themselves to explore these excellent related scents. The closest is definitely Italian Cypress imo, but I don't own it because I think it's a little less interesting despite being deeper, but is drastically more expensive.

I've been checking out IC in the newest revamp which is currently exclusive to Harrods and TF in the UK. I also have a small decant of the original IC and a vintage bottle of Z-14.

I haven't spent much time with them, but I can say that so far I prefer the opening of Halston Z-14, and the dry down of IC. I am obviously going to spend more time with them both before coming to some final conclusions.

Vintage Z-14 (Jeff Gordon bottle in my case) is way better than the current Z-14 which I agree is a cinnamon bomb. Nothing unpleasant, just not a long-lasting scent and nothing like how it's prereformulated distant relative was.

Latest News