Halston Z-14 (old formulation) vs (new formulation)

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Old formulation versus New Formulation......................................................

--------------UPDATE------------

I found a pre-reformulation bottle that has oakmoss in it. I am posting the differences I notice if you scroll down.

I bought it new today at Marshalls and this is the box it came in.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0041FSVPG/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3760911&s=beauty

This must be old stock shipped from Elizabeth Arden (combo pack of EDT and Aftershave), as Marshalls carries the newest formulation of Z-14 too, with no oakmoss.

Last edited:

perfaddict

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 3, 2008
Of course there are obvious differences, especially in "feel", particularly the oakmoss and maybe the leather. I have used Z-14 since the late '70s and now have and still enjoy the new formulation - no mourning the hard-to-locate past for me. Anyone sampling the new Z-14 having never smelt the original, and likes what they smell, will still enjoy what is still a very good frag.

petruccijc

Dec 5, 2007
I definitely prefer the original to the current. But the current version is still infinitely better than most of the dreck on fragrance shelves today.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Is there anything else out there (affordable) that smells similar to Z-14, with longevity and sillage?

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Ok, I got rid of my Z-14 that did not contain "oakmoss" in the ingredient list, just treemoss. Today I found a box of Z-14 at the store that does list oakmoss on the box (along with treemoss). So, I bought it and will be testing it very soon to see if I notice any differences. Hoping there will be.

MOONB

Banned
Nov 5, 2009
Ok, I got rid of my Z-14 that did not contain "oakmoss" in the ingredient list, just treemoss. Today I found a box of Z-14 at the store that does list oakmoss on the box (along with treemoss). So, I bought it and will be testing it very soon to see if I notice any differences. Hoping there will be.

I would have held onto the treemoss bottle just to do a side-by-side sniff test of the two.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
As I stated earlier, I got rid of the new version recently because I wasn't impressed. It felt flat, plain cheap cinnamon aroma. I give it a 5 out of 10 overall.

OK, I just sprayed the old version of Z-14 with Oakmoss listed in the ingredients. Even before spraying, I smelled the nozzle and it smelled really dark and deep. Immediately after spraying I get intense natural smelling citrus with spice in the background. In the "non oakmoss version", I didn't get this flavorful bouquet of citrus, instead I detected a strong astringent/biting scent that was rough and sharp. All smooth so far in the old version though.

With my nose up close to this (oakmoss included blend), I literally feel the scent tickling my nose hairs (with a heat-like feel) as it rises off my skin. Again, this was non-existent in the treemoss only blend.

Will update again in a little bit.

Last edited:

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Now I'm getting a heavy leather & spice smell with citrus in the background. No cheap cinnamon (Big Red Gum) aroma either.

This stuff is unbelievable. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY did they have to put restrictions on Oakmoss (I know why, but I'm just sayin).

This old version might have just rocketed to my # 1 favorite fragrance already.

Well, there's only one thing left to do. Stock up on this "old stock" version of Z-14 before it is gone forever. I'll be going back to do just that.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
I can't believe I scored this for $17 for a 4.2 EDT and . I'm experiencing a "THIS IS THE ONE" moment that many of you have experienced or are currently seeking.

This thing just comes alive by breathing on it. I can only imagine what heat and humidity of summer will do for it (if sprayed lightly).

Last edited:

Tappio

Jun 21, 2011
Interesting! I just checked my gift set versus my individual bottle, and on the gift set it shows both the EDT and aftershave as having oakmoss, while my individual bottle of Z-14 has a sticker on back with a new ingredients list sans oakmoss. I peeled it back and the box itself shows oakmoss, so this individual bottle is clearly a reformulated version. I wonder if that gift set is accurate, or if they simply didn't produce the large stickers necessary to cover it up as with the individual box. I haven't even sniffed the gift set version (it's my backup I got on clearance), and won't be able to for a while because I have a head cold, so I can't speak to any discernible differences between them.

Adding to the confusion, I have a few individual bottles of 1-12 and they all list oakmoss, despite the fact they were purchased around the same time as my individual (non-oakmoss) bottle of Z-14. Strange.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Interesting! I just checked my gift set versus my individual bottle, and on the gift set it shows both the EDT and aftershave as having oakmoss, while my individual bottle of Z-14 has a sticker on back with a new ingredients list sans oakmoss. I peeled it back and the box itself shows oakmoss, so this individual bottle is clearly a reformulated version. I wonder if that gift set is accurate, or if they simply didn't produce the large stickers necessary to cover it up as with the individual box. I haven't even sniffed the gift set version (it's my backup I got on clearance), and won't be able to for a while because I have a head cold, so I can't speak to any discernible differences between them.

Adding to the confusion, I have a few individual bottles of 1-12 and they all list oakmoss, despite the fact they were purchased around the same time as my individual (non-oakmoss) bottle of Z-14. Strange.

Yes! You're right. The individual bottle (that I sold last week) was the one without oakmoss listed. The combo I bought today has oakmoss listed in both the EDT AND in the Aftershave Splash.

On top of that, I did see a bottle of 1-12 with oakmoss listed, I should have picked that up too! Interesting to note, the individual box of 1-12 is a light brown/tan color, and it lists oakmoss like you said. While the new stock of 1-12 and 1-14 comes in a chocolate brown box, with no oakmoss listed on the back.

It is an issue of old stock vs new stock. See, I believe there have been 2 reformulations.

There was the old school Z-14 and 1-12 from the 70's through probably around at least the year 2008-ish (maybe a little longer). I believe the original from the 70's was redone just to tone it down a little to appeal to the masses, without changing the flavor so to speak. I believe this is the one we own (first reformulation).

The most recent debacle of Z-14 is the one that had to be produced by Elizabeth Arden, where they cheapened the formula and nixed the oakmoss to comply with regulations. I get no real citrus, no moss, no substantial leather, no thickness and not much in the way of projection. Just a biting harsh 20 min opening, then cinnamon (Big Red style) and dirty patchouli drydown.

The one we own will never be produced again (with oakmoss), unless the regulation is reversed or they decide to change it for quality's sake (that never happens).

That being said, I just got back from Walmart where I remember them having the EDT and AS in a combo. However, it was a different box than the one I got today, and guess what, no oakmoss listed. Seriously though, now I understand why everyone is so up in arms about the regulations on it. It must make or break the product in many instances.

I've never tried 1-12. But I guess I ought to snag that one I saw (also old stock). How does 1-12 compare to Z-14?

Last edited:

Tappio

Jun 21, 2011
I had no idea the new 1-12 came in the same dark box as Z-14, I will have to check it out next time I'm in TJ Maxx, as I noticed they got quite a few new boxes of it in. As for 1-12, I am very fond of this one and definitely recommend you give it a spin. At worst you are only out ten dollars. Early this year quite a few boxes of it were showing up on clearance for between 5 and 8 dollars so I picked up some extras; my partner laughed at me for stocking up on so many boxes of such a readily available fragrance but now I'm glad I did!

I will have to swing through the discount shops here in town over the next few days to see if they have any more box sets, as it would be nice to get some of the earlier version of Z-14 if it's available.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I checked mine and the box lists oakmoss and treemoss. It gives a scientific name for the oakmoss and says it's an extract. One thing that might also be indicative is the label on the bottle. Mine says EA and there is London and New York as well. Can anyone post here and tell us what the non-oakmoss label on the bottle says?

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
^ Tappio Quote "I had no idea the new 1-12 came in the same dark box as Z-14, I will have to check it out next time I'm in TJ Maxx, as I noticed they got quite a few new boxes of it in. As for 1-12, I am very fond of this one and definitely recommend you give it a spin. At worst you are only out ten dollars. Early this year quite a few boxes of it were showing up on clearance for between 5 and 8 dollars so I picked up some extras; my partner laughed at me for stocking up on so many boxes of such a readily available fragrance but now I'm glad I did!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it does (dark brown box 1-12). But try to find the one in the light brown/tan box, and you'll be golden.

Yeah, some people do not understand that you have to clean the place out of a product if it's a good one, or if it there is limited supply. Then again, some people don't understand OCD, haha. Yes, scoop up all you can before it shows up on ebay as "vintage formulation", which it is in a way now.

I will have to swing through the discount shops here in town over the next few days to see if they have any more box sets, as it would be nice to get some of the earlier version of Z-14 if it's available.[

Last edited:

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
I checked mine and the box lists oakmoss and treemoss. It gives a scientific name for the oakmoss and says it's an extract. One thing that might also be indicative is the label on the bottle. Mine says EA and there is London and New York as well. Can anyone post here and tell us what the non-oakmoss label on the bottle says?

Yes, the oakmoss version I picked up today does say oakmoss "extract", along with the scientific name Evernia prunastri

It also contains treemoss.

Tappio

Jun 21, 2011

The EA labels on the two versions I have are identical to what you describe (London and NY addresses); the 1-12 (with oakmoss labels) are the same as well. The only difference I see are the ingredients list and what I'm guessing is a batch code stamped in white on the bottom.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
The EA labels on the two versions I have are identical to what you describe (London and NY addresses); the 1-12 (with oakmoss labels) are the same as well. The only difference I see are the ingredients list and what I'm guessing is a batch code stamped in white on the bottom.

I have those same labels too.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Have you tried vintage Quorum? If you have patience it can be had cheaply on ebay.

How do I know which one is vintage?

The new one has the box with the horizontal stripes. Does the vintage Quorum come in the box with the diagonal zig-zag pattern?

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I think the vintage Quorum boxes have a sort of Navajo rug design whereas the new ones are more abstract. And the bottle shouldn't say Antonion Puig on the front. If it just says Puig that should be vintage. Mine is really old and says only Puig.

Last edited:

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
I ended up snagging a bunch of boxed sets of Z-14 from Marshalls today, I took all they had. All had oakmoss listed as an ingredient. Total of 6 boxes (each containing 4.2oz spray EDT with either a 2.5oz or 4.2oz after shave splash). I know, OCD gets me every time.

Am I crazy for buying so much of this stuff, or did I wisely take advantage of an opportunity? Anyone else (besides me and Tappio) ever stockpile something they like knowing that it was in limited supply?

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
Hard to say. Do you wear that much of it?

I will have enough for many many years, but it is my current favorite. But I only have 5 different fragrances. However, I might return a few of the bottles I bought, give someone else the chance to enjoy it.

juggarnaut8

Dec 27, 2011
I was able to pick up the old formulation(z-14) at Marshall's yesterday, I did a side by side test and cannot believe the difference in the two. The old formulation was smooth, rich and deep, the new formulation while not bad, just had the chemical smell and when it dried Jclaxton78 was right about the cinnamon smell. The old version dried with a smooth leathery smell with just a hint of natural cinnamon.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
I was able to pick up the old formulation(z-14) at Marshall's yesterday, I did a side by side test and cannot believe the difference in the two. The old formulation was smooth, rich and deep, the new formulation while not bad, just had the chemical smell and when it dried Jclaxton78 was right about the cinnamon smell. The old version dried with a smooth leathery smell with just a hint of natural cinnamon.

Good to hear you found a bottle of the "old batch". Can you imagine how many people received the new stuff as a gift this holiday season only to be severely disappointed? Shame on EA Co. for duping the general public in the name of saving a few cents per bottle.

Apr 16, 2011
I've been 'suffering' with a small bottle of new formulation for quite a while now, all 'cinnamonnied' up every morning I walk out the door. I tolerated it, yet always knowing in my mind how much better it could be. But having turned to it quite regularly now during the cold weather months, I decided it was time to hunt down the elusive old formula.

I finally happened upon a gift set last night, identifying the all important oakmoss. As most of you know, it's night and day between this and the newer potion. What I was surprised to see was that EA was still the creator/distributor(?) for the old formula gift set. I didn't realize they had also been responsible for creating the oakmoss version...thought it was a different company and when it switched to EA is when it got 'diluted.' Can anybody shed light?

Regardless of all the semantics, this 'vintage' formula has really taken me back to my youth...a feeling of comfort, serenity, and that all my limitless future lay ahead...where Z-14 was one of the first fragrances I had ever worn in my adolescent attempts at becoming a man faster than nature would allow (read as: wanting to grow up too quickly ;)

It's moments like these that make me so thankful that some fragrances survive the test of time mostly unaltered. If anything, fragrance houses should be aware of this demographic, those of us who yearn for a time machine in a bottle, and hopefully continue to cater to it in the future.

Cheers, my fellow Z-14 aficionados.

Last edited:

Lord Bodak

Jan 1, 2012
When exactly was the oakmoss removed? I have a bottle that was under the sink in my old bathroom in my parents' house that I recently retrieved. I would guess it's at least 10 years old, and unused. Unfortunately I don't have the packaging so I can't check the ingredients list, and I'm curious if I have the old or the new.

jclaxton78

Dec 23, 2010
I've been 'suffering' with a small bottle of new formulation for quite a while now, all 'cinnamonnied' up every morning I walk out the door. I tolerated it, yet always knowing in my mind how much better it could be. But having turned to it quite regularly now during the cold weather months, I decided it was time to hunt down the elusive old formula.

I finally happened upon a gift set last night, identifying the all important oakmoss. As most of you know, it's night and day between this and the newer potion. What I was surprised to see was that EA was still the creator/distributor(?) for the old formula gift set. I didn't realize they had also been responsible for creating the oakmoss version...thought it was a different company and when it switched to EA is when it got 'diluted.' Can anybody shed light?

Regardless of all the semantics, this 'vintage' formula has really taken me back to my youth...a feeling of comfort, serenity, and that all my limitless future lay ahead...where Z-14 was one of the first fragrances I had ever worn in my adolescent attempts at becoming a man faster than nature would allow (read as: wanting to grow up too quickly ;)

It's moments like these that make me so thankful that some fragrances survive the test of time mostly unaltered. If anything, fragrance houses should be aware of this demographic, those of us who yearn for a time machine in a bottle, and hopefully continue to cater to it in the future.

When EA took over Z-14 they may or may not have toned down the potency of the juice a little, yet it smelled like the same product. But recently they completely changed the ingredients (not just oakmoss), and the result is a disaster. Big Red chewing gum, in mist form. Since this change (to the new Garbage labeled Z-14), there still exists the true formula on some store shelves and on Ebay.

And I wasn't around for it back in the day, so it isn't nostalgic for me. But for those who want to re-kindle memories, manufacturers should not mess with the formula. But also because people want quality and do not like getting ripped off/tricked! I'd rather have them raise the price to make more profit than switch the ingredients and destroy the formula that has been around for so long.

However, from a business standpoint they must have figured, "not as many people will buy it if we raise the price, so lets put super cheap worthless ingredients in it and hope nobody knows the difference". What they failed to realize is that fragrances like Z-14 have been around so long that they get a lot of repeat buyers. That won't be the case anymore though. All the loyal customers will be shocked when they buy the new juice and get a whiff of it. Then they won't be back.

Last edited:

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008

I have an EA version and oakmoss is listed on the box, so you would just have to check that before buying.

lovingthealien

Oct 31, 2011
I tossed my box a while ago, but got the cologne/aftershave box you showed. My Halston Z-14 is a rich and rather nice cyphre and I don't really get an overwhelming cinnamon vibe from it. I'm curious, what is your batch code? Mine is 0ha1, June 2010.

lovingthealien

Oct 31, 2011
Mine's really leathery, now I think I'll have to go compare mine to one in the store, as this doesn't smell cheap or like big red. I'm interested in smelling the bad version (or the good version, if the bad one's what I got).

MonkeyBars

May 18, 2011
My little splash bottle from Ross has definitely got to be the new formulation since it smells like cheap cinnamon dentist tooth cleaner and coumarin. Truly awful. Even though I don't like leather, I'm very curious to try the older version now.

Such a travesty that companies ruin these products with such callous cynicism & regularity.

Latest News