"GYM" Perfume

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
Really need something new for sport and gym etc

My previous favourites has all been refomulated, the original polo sport was something i used to like, same with the vintage aqua di gio, azzaro chrome has been used, joop jump, lacoste variants has been used, not a big fan of the new ones..dior cologne was close and i bet someone will suggest, but at the same time quite expensive here for a "gym" perfume, i hear issey miakey one is reformulated as well, not sure what i wanna try next, suggestions?

I gotta say tommy hilfiger(1995) worked pretty well, i found it back in my collection and few months later i was out, worked quite well as a "gym" perfume acctually, but something else this time around would be nice, i also used hugo reversed a few months, also did work fine, but im tired of it now.

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
I wear Leisure in Paradise to the gym regularly. My gym has an indoor running track, and a month ago a guy was running on the track and stopped and said" I could work out next to you all day and never get tired of smelling you. I hope that's okay to say from one guy to another." Gotten many compliments at the gym and no complaints. I'll add two more that work for me at the gym.
Since I'm retired, the only place I go is the gym 6 days a week. If I don't wear fragrance to gym, I have no where else to wear it.
Members have come to expect me wearing something and always come close for a sniff.
I have been surprised at how many people I've met enjoy fragrances at the gym.
Scent seems to be a great conversation starter.
When someone really acts interested I make up a 5ml spray decant and give it to them with where to buy and note info.
If anyone at the gym has a complaint, I'm open to wearing less, or even none at all. Until then I'm going to do what a scent guy does.
After all when people call you Dapper Dan and Satorial Sam, I feel they have come to expect me to dress and smell fabulous.
In addition to smelling good I was voted best dressed at the gym for the last 5 years running. No competition there.

757045.jpg

889000.jpg
375x500.61927.jpg

Last edited:

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Haven’t been to the gym since the pandemic hit. My body is my gym now, with calisthenics. My SotD becomes my ‘gym’ fragrance…

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020
Yes I wear perfume to the gym and that's because I'm a frag head and always want to smell good!

My suggestion would be nothing dark or with extremely powerful Sillage unless its post work out.

An invigorating scent that has moderate projection is your best option IMO.Something along the likes of:

Mugler Cologne (pre-workout)

Armani Code Sport (used as Pre-workout but it went horribly dark and chocolatey on my skin very quickly so maybe give this one a miss)

Any Taifi Rose attar (pre and post but can be a little pricey)

Paco Rabanne invictus Acqua (one of the best I've smelled in this genre but it has been discontinued.Im sure there is a new iteration of this and can be found on Joy Amin Youtube page).

ASAQ White Musk (best pre-workout if you want to smell clean but unassuming)

Armaf CDNI (post workout and my most complimented frag. Been mistaken for Aventus by a non-frag head colleague)

Jan 2, 2022
During the first lockdown we could go to the gym with a lot of precautions, but now it is closed. I like to use Hugo Boss the scent pure accord for her, but there is also a pure accord for him. It is a soft and clean scent. Nothing special but realy nice and comfortable.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I've yet to find a fragrance I'd want to apply as a pre-workout tbh.

Maybe something incredibly light, fresh, and bracing that fades in about 5 minutes?

In which case, maybe an aftershave might be a good option.

L'Eau d'Issey lasts a very long time, it's a strong fragrance.

You might want to try Kenzo L'Eau Pour Homme.

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
I've yet to find a fragrance I'd want to apply as a pre-workout tbh.

Maybe something incredibly light, fresh, and bracing that fades in about 5 minutes?

In which case, maybe an aftershave might be a good option.

L'Eau d'Issey lasts a very long time, it's a strong fragrance.

You might want to try Kenzo L'Eau Pour Homme.

yes this is exactly the meaning and what I was thinking, it should not feel like I have perfume on even though I might have it, but the feeling should just be that I smell fresh and something uplifting as if I just took a shower and shaved etc, just feeling extra fresh, imo dosent have to fade in 5min if the criteria beein meet as described, who dosent like a gentle small sniff of something fresh and unoffencive :)

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
I would suggest Nautica Voyage or Versace Man Eau Fraiche.
im gonna give nautica voyage a try, so i did a blind buy, didnt cost mutch, but the notes seems like could absolutely work :) versace man eau fraiche ive tried, i cant stand it, to my nose versace eau fresh smells almost like a house cleaning product, but i got hopes up for voyage :) cheers for the tip :)

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
No suggestions so far for any of the tommy bahamas? ive never tried anyone so far, my local shops dont have it, but considering blind buy online, also i totally forgot i do enjoy varvatos artisan also, but never tried as a sport/gym/office type use but could see when applied very lightly would smell fresh maybe.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Butyl nitrite?-that would be a very lively gym... Sadly not like mine.
(not much kouros-locker room either, though, as they wash it constantly)

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
For a light, fresh, affordable perfume, I recommend you Hermes - Eau d'Orange Verte.

375x500.3019.jpg

At the gym I (superficially) test perfumes, or I wear perfumes that I no longer like to wear on my wrist*, but on clothes, because I also have the vintage version (or not, but I don't like them that much anymore, so I test them again from time to time), which is better (the vintage version).
I enjoy the best perfumes on my wrist, at home, to pay full attention to them.

So, at the gym I wear perfumes on my clothes, not on my skin.
Because I sweat intensely, the projection increases a lot**, a personal cloud of perfume is formed.

*For example:

Aramis - Havana
Aramis - JHL
Aramis - Tuscany
Chanel - Antaeus
Chanel - Pour Monsieur
Guerlain - Habit Rouge Dress Code
Guerlain - Homme
Guerlain - L'Instant
Etro - Sandalo
E. Marinella - Tabacco Imperiale
Ortigia - Ambra Nera

That's how I (re)discovered that Antaeus (recent version) on clothes is very nice. I put it back in the cloeset, on the shelf. Moreover, I bought one more bottle.
I own the vintage bottle, the current version - 2 bottles, and a 200 ml splash bottle from ~2000, of which probably only half remained (I left the bottle without a cap for months, to see what happens :oops:).

**Once I wore Czech & Speake - Perfecto Fino and I almost chocked to death from thick smokiness. :rolleyes:

-----

By the time I wrote the post, my coffee was cold. I have to make another one.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Why not though? I was at the gym today and caught a whiff of some perfume off a woman as I passed by her. I was like, ooh, that smells nice. She was in very good shape, and the fragrance added to her overall appeal in my opinion. Why do you wear fragrance at all? For me, it's to smell nice. Is there a reason that doesn't apply in the gym? You could argue that fragrance can bother people anywhere, not just the gym. Obviously that's not a reason for the people here to forego wearing fragrance entirely. It's all about finding the appropriate fragrance for the setting. Some considerations:

-You're likely going to be hot and sweaty.
-You're not looking to draw attention, you just want to smell nice.
-It doesn't need to last long in the gym itself. If you're going somewhere after you could easily apply another fragrance, or just shower.

So something light, fresh, that doesn't project strongly so it won't be amplified by your elevated body heat, is probably safe. Just 1-3 sprays. If that really bothers anyone, they would probably be bothered smelling your fragrance anywhere, not just the gym. Again, would you care enough to stop because of that outside the gym?

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Nautica Voyage
Versace Pour Homme

Yea nothing expensive or over the top but smell excellent for their price point and performance is excellent and both would work great as a gym fragrance.

If you want something different Chanel Platinum Egoiste especially when your body warms up this one really comes alive and performance is almost beast mode.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Why not though? I was at the gym today and caught a whiff of some perfume off a woman as I passed by her. I was like, ooh, that smells nice. She was in very good shape, and the fragrance added to her overall appeal in my opinion. Why do you wear fragrance at all? For me, it's to smell nice. Is there a reason that doesn't apply in the gym?
There are all sorts of different gyms. There are the types of gym-goers who will sign up to David Lloyd and enjoy the spa, the lunches, and see the exercise equipment as another means of a lifestyle choice. Then there are gyms which are there solely for people to workout. I can understand the desire to have a fragrance for the former situation but a lot of men will probably have prior or current experience of the latter, where wearing fragrance before exercising would come with negative social consequences.

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
Why not though? I was at the gym today and caught a whiff of some perfume off a woman as I passed by her. I was like, ooh, that smells nice. She was in very good shape, and the fragrance added to her overall appeal in my opinion. Why do you wear fragrance at all? For me, it's to smell nice. Is there a reason that doesn't apply in the gym? You could argue that fragrance can bother people anywhere, not just the gym. Obviously that's not a reason for the people here to forego wearing fragrance entirely. It's all about finding the appropriate fragrance for the setting. Some considerations:

-You're likely going to be hot and sweaty.
-You're not looking to draw attention, you just want to smell nice.
-It doesn't need to last long in the gym itself. If you're going somewhere after you could easily apply another fragrance, or just shower.

So something light, fresh, that doesn't project strongly so it won't be amplified by your elevated body heat, is probably safe. Just 1-3 sprays. If that really bothers anyone, they would probably be bothered smelling your fragrance anywhere, not just the gym. Again, would you care enough to stop because of that outside the gym?

This!

I think many belive when we talk about a gym perfume that we would wear it like we are heading out for dinner party or something, it`s like you say quite the opposite, its just about having a small fresh whiff around you for positive energy/feeling and feeling extra fresh, like you do fresh out of the shower wearing deoderant or fresh like just been at the barbers and had a clean shave and grooming, nothing offensive, no overspraying, nothing strong.

I also walked by a woman at the gym yesterday that just perfectly nailed it with perfume choice, was so delicious and fresh that i almost wanted to work out besides here all session haha, obv i did not, dont wanna send out creepy signals, but when they nail it just giving a subtle whiff of something sporty smell it just feels so nice.

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
There are all sorts of different gyms. There are the types of gym-goers who will sign up to David Lloyd and enjoy the spa, the lunches, and see the exercise equipment as another means of a lifestyle choice. Then there are gyms which are there solely for people to workout. I can understand the desire to have a fragrance for the former situation but a lot of men will probably have prior or current experience of the latter, where wearing fragrance before exercising would come with negative social consequences.

Speaking for myself here, i NEVER spray just before the gym, i spray 1-2 sprays about 1h before the gym, as i dont like to have sweat from my working day on top of wokout out sweat, so i usually shower after work, then spray something light after shower and 1h later im usually at the gym and by then its a very small subtle whiff i have.

I also train at both scenarios here, at a commercial gym for my lighter workouts but i also go to dedicated "iron gym" where its only serious lifters and rammstein, metallica etc blasting on the stereo and testosteron can be tasted in the air..i also come there clean and smelling like i like to smell in generall, fresh. no complaints at the "iron gym" eighter, obv the latter gym you would not wear ANYTHING that is not just something very fresh sporty and light, more so then commercial gym where the fresh scent can be abit more flexible.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Speaking for myself here, i NEVER spray just before the gym, i spray 1-2 sprays about 1h before the gym, as i dont like to have sweat from my working day on top of wokout out sweat, so i usually shower after work, then spray something light after shower and 1h later im usually at the gym and by then its a very small subtle whiff i have.

I also train at both scenarios here, at a commercial gym for my lighter workouts but i also go to dedicated "iron gym" where its only serious lifters and rammstein, metallica etc blasting on the stereo and testosteron can be tasted in the air..i also come there clean and smelling like i like to smell in generall, fresh. no complaints at the "iron gym" eighter, obv the latter gym you would not wear ANYTHING that is not just something very fresh sporty and light, more so then commercial gym where the fresh scent can be abit more flexible.
That's totally acceptable tbh, depending on the fragrance of course. I think when this topic comes up, everyone brings their own idea about what 'the gym' actually is and as you say there are all sorts of different gyms and different gym users.

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
So back on track here discussion aside, i got my nautica voyage in the mail yesterday, nice and all, but not really the freshness i was looking for, i will defiently keep it for other situations, i guess sweet is the new fresh these days, i mean it was not over the top sweet and was a fresh feeling but not the old polo sport type fresh, abit sweet for a sporty fragrance but not bad at all.

i really wish they didnt reformulate d&b light blue, had sutch a fresh citrusy smell, i used my last 2 sprays of the original formula the other day out of the shower, and 2h later at the gym i had this pleasant small whiffs of just fresh citrus, i guess next to try might be the reccomended over here, hermes eau de orange, will find a sample local first as its about 100-150us where i live for a bottle.

Cheers for all suggestions that have been made :)

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
That's totally acceptable tbh, depending on the fragrance of course. I think when this topic comes up, everyone brings their own idea about what 'the gym' actually is and as you say there are all sorts of different gyms and different gym users.
i agree, and to be fair i should have described better in OP, became abit to wide discussion, but i let it be, was interesting nevertheless to read different suggestions and usages.

Latest News