• Neither

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Both

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Please vote above.

I voted for both. that said, if budget is a concern, I would go for the original one.

If budget is not a concern, I would strongly suggest to go for both current versions, that would probably result in a total expense of half the $ that would be spent for a vintage one stored in unknown conditions (serious concern when buying a citrus prominent fragrances). And as I stated before, what I've read online seem to go in the direction that the vintage ribbed bottle is worse in quality than current.
Cannot talk about the pre-2000 EDC (very little info to be found), but ridiculous prices and the very high risk to receive turned juice is a hard pass for me.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I didn't vote because I haven't tried the Extreme version. I do think the the regular Guerlain Vetiver is a great fragrance and worth owning.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
I feel the current Vetiver is the nicest choice, it wears and smells excellent I wore the silver cap in the past and the new wood style cap is nicer imo. I wore Vetiver Extreme a few times was not wowed by it, the original is the better choice imo it’s worth sampling though in case you should like it.

surfnj

Jan 11, 2022
I have two bottles of vetiver extreme. One with cursive Guerlain (silver cap) and one with standard print Guerlain (wood cap). The silver cap has darker juice and seems to be stronger. I haven’t worn the new wood cap yet. I only did a side by side sniff on paper and visual analysis.

Edit:
To answer the op question. I like them both. I prefer vetiver extreme in colder weather and vetiver for warmer weather. They are my two favorite fragrances.

Edit 2:
Vetiver extreme is discontinued. If you want to purchase a full bottle I recommend you do so sooner than later.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
How different is it from the modern version?
I now had the chance a vintage EDC from an early 80's bottle like this one
vt3.JPG

It is a totally different fragrance. The top and mid is a classic citrus aromatic. Only in the base will it bear similarities with the current version. The vintage EDC is not vetiver centric, but has a noticeable vetiver in the base.
The current EDT is vetiver centric, and supposedly close to the first issue of the EDT in the 90's (but I can't tell, as I've never tried it. According to reviews, the early 00's release (2nd EDT release, ribbed bottle) is the worst (but again, I cannot tell because I haven't tried it).

JBHoren

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
I have the "ribbed" bottle -- bought it new, in 2006 (the bottom has the batch code 4M01 -- "4"=2004 ). Wore it just today (love that "Vetiver Wednesday"), and was sorely disappointed: a big citrus-y blast, then... crickets. Dunno -- the juice hasn't changed color, and the aroma was fine when last worn. Admittedly, I've come to prefer earthier Vetiver fragrances. I've never sampled the "extreme" version, and really don't care to.

surfnj

Jan 11, 2022
I have the "ribbed" bottle -- bought it new, in 2006 (the bottom has the batch code 4M01 -- "4"=2004 ). Wore it just today (love that "Vetiver Wednesday"), and was sorely disappointed: a big citrus-y blast, then... crickets. Dunno -- the juice hasn't changed color, and the aroma was fine when last worn. Admittedly, I've come to prefer earthier Vetiver fragrances. I've never sampled the "extreme" version, and really don't care to.
Earthy vetivers such as?

JBHoren

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007

Earthy vetivers such as?
Such as Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Route du Vétiver is my "gold standard". Another adjective might be "dirty".

Last edited:

Latest News