Guerlain Shalimar

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Which one do you recommend?

A number of members recommended Shalimar to me in a previous thread, and I’m ready to own my first bottle.

The BN directory is pulling up 22 different variations. 😨. I’m absolutely lost - although I’ve sampled Shalimar before, it was well over a decade ago, and I honestly can’t even remember whether it was the EDP or the EDT.

Help! I know that a lot of BN members are experts on Guerlain.

Attachments

• 7F17FC1F-169F-4CA4-9847-55C157794631.jpeg
    7F17FC1F-169F-4CA4-9847-55C157794631.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 6

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
It depends on what concentration you are looking for. Are you looking for something light and aromatic or are you looking for something dense with depth? Shalimar has a lot of flankers that touch base with the original or go completely off tangent.

For the original, my favorites are the parfum extrait and the PDT concentrations both which are more dense compared to the EDT and EDC counterparts.

It's worth sampling the different concentrations to get a feel before you make the commitment of a full bottle(s).

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I was initially looking for a new bedtime scent via the thread, and Shalimar was mentioned repeatedly (I believe you were the first to recommend it!).

I’m wondering if “light” would go better with sleep?

… I probably should take the time to sample a bit.
I've worn the EDP before prior going to sleep and it worked well.

I'm sure there are individuals here that would be more than happy to help you with Shalimar samples. That's how I got on the band wagon for Shalimar years ago.

If you're looking on ebay, mini bottles are a great place to start.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I think more or less the various concentrations of Shalimar (the regular one, not the flankers) have the same DNA, but as NCAL was saying, it's really more a matter of lightness/depth. I agree that if you're using it for bed, you don't need the strength of the edp, the ed (does the edc still exist?) will do-you'll fall asleep soon anyway. Alternatively, if you want to splurge, you can go with the parfum. Just dab a tiny bit, and it will be soft enough early on, but then you'll find it when you wake up too.

The flankers all go in different direction, and to be honest I haven't kept track. i would stick with the original.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I've worn the EDP before prior going to sleep and it worked well.

I'm sure there are individuals here that would be more than happy to help you with Shalimar samples. That's how I got on the band wagon for Shalimar years ago.

If you're looking on ebay, mini bottles are a great place to start.
Thank you so much for all of your input and suggestions!

I will absolutely take your word for it and lean towards the EDP first.

Mini bottles are also a fantastic idea - I’d completely forgotten about those. I think I will definitely initially go this route.

I’d recently purchased a splash mini of Bvlgari (Bulgari?) Pour Femme off of eBay since I’d read that it was so familiar to what I’m currently wearing, and found that I did not like it at all. I was glad that my loss was only $30+, and not hundreds of dollars for a full bottle that I would then have the hassle of reselling.

Edit: I wouldn’t “gift” it because I truly cannot stand it.

Last edited:

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I think more or less the various concentrations of Shalimar (the regular one, not the flankers) have the same DNA, but as NCAL was saying, it's really more a matter of lightness/depth. I agree that if you're using it for bed, you don't need the strength of the edp, the ed (does the edc still exist?) will do-you'll fall asleep soon anyway. Alternatively, if you want to splurge, you can go with the parfum. Just dab a tiny bit, and it will be soft enough early on, but then you'll find it when you wake up too.

The flankers all go in different direction, and to be honest I haven't kept track. i would stick with the original.

Thank you so much for such detailed input! I have seen the edc online in a few different places, but they were all strangely low in price compared to say, the extrait or the edp, so I disregarded them as possible red flags.

I was thinking that this would be more or less a blind buy (though not truly blind, since I’ve sampled and liked a variant of it so long ago), but I’m beginning to think that sampling first may be the way to go.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
The edc was sold at drugstores like CVS or the like, so perhaps there's just more of it. On ebay or the like, one could also find vintage edc pretty easily, eg in the beautiful "clock" bottle.. But I haven't checked recently.

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
I have always bought the edp version or extract. Original Shalimar is cosy and classic. And yes, it can be quite inexpensive to buy. I have a few of the flankers or as they are called modern take on the original Initial now discontinued is my favourite and expensive on eBay. Souffle is more white musk version and the Philtre de Parfum is more powdery and modern.

Also check out TJ Maxx as good deals can be found there for Shalimar.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I have always bought the edp version or extract. Original Shalimar is cosy and classic. And yes, it can be quite inexpensive to buy. I have a few of the flankers or as they are called modern take on the original Initial now discontinued is my favourite and expensive on eBay. Souffle is more white musk version and the Philtre de Parfum is more powdery and modern.

Also check out TJ Maxx as good deals can be found there for Shalimar.
Thank you so much! Also, thank you so much for explaining “flankers” to me - I’d initially thought that it was another term for “bottles” (😅) and slowly started to wonder if it meant otherwise. I was meaning to Google it, and had always gotten distracted.

I had no idea that TJ Maxx was even an option. I’m learning a lot in this thread!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Did someone say Shalimar?

I love all of the versions and all of the body products and some of the flankers. I also love Habit Rouge by Guerlain which everyone says Guerlain made for men who kept stealing their wives Shalimar lol.

I am interested to read what you think about the EdT and EdP samples you bought kosui no kaori. Please do consider trying the Eau de Cologne version (it is disco'd but you can easily buy some online), I love wearing it to bed. I find it and the vintage Parfum to be my favorite versions but honestly Parfum de Toilette is pretty friggin good. And so is the Madagascar one...and the really really old EdT in the blue box...I digress...

Parfum is just amazing. Especially vintage. It's ultra powdery but amazingly complex for a vanilla amber scent. It is the epitome (in my opinion) of French Perfumery at its best.

It makes me happy to hear that Shalimar has another convert :)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Did someone say Shalimar?

I love all of the versions and all of the body products and some of the flankers. I also love Habit Rouge by Guerlain which everyone says Guerlain made for men who kept stealing their wives Shalimar lol.

I am interested to read what you think about the EdT and EdP samples you bought kosui no kaori. Please do consider trying the Eau de Cologne version (it is disco'd but you can easily buy some online), I love wearing it to bed. I find it and the vintage Parfum to be my favorite versions but honestly Parfum de Toilette is pretty friggin good. And so is the Madagascar one...and the really really old EdT in the blue box...I digress...

Parfum is just amazing. Especially vintage. It's ultra powdery but amazingly complex for a vanilla amber scent. It is the epitome (in my opinion) of French Perfumery at its best.

It makes me happy to hear that Shalimar has another convert :)
I did! 🙋🏻‍♀️

Thank you so very much! Your enthusiasm is contagious, and I’m very excited to try these minis. The EDP and EDT should arrive by Friday and Saturday, respectively - or possibly even sooner, since I’ve received prior packages ahead of their tracking date.

I’ve also ordered a travel spray of Habit Rouge as well, recommended by Pippin06. I’m glad to hear that you speak so highly of it!

I must admit that I’d shied away from the edc because of how widely available it had been, but perhaps I should give it a try as well!

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Shalimar is the only Guerlain I remember seeing at drugstores since moving to the states (but I've never paid attention to the petite black thing). Many higher end brands used to have one or two things that they distributed to drugstores (I recall Dior Dune as well, perhaps some Estee Lauders etc)-though I don't recall any Chanel. Also, I've lived in big cities only, so I don't know whether brands tended to distribute more in rural areas (where there was often no department store beyond drugstores or the Walmart type of stores).

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Shalimar is the only Guerlain I remember seeing at drugstores since moving to the states (but I've never paid attention to the petite black thing). Many higher end brands used to have one or two things that they distributed to drugstores (I recall Dior Dune as well, perhaps some Estee Lauders etc)-though I don't recall any Chanel. Also, I've lived in big cities only, so I don't know whether brands tended to distribute more in rural areas (where there was often no department store beyond drugstores or the Walmart type of stores).
Dior, too! Wow 😮

I wish I had paid more attention to drugstore frags - I have no idea whether those were available where I lived (I grew up in the suburbs my entire life).

Edit: (both in and out of the States).

Last edited:

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
While both rather belated to reply and also admitting to be far from being very well informed on the subject - nevertheless, enjoyed this one so far in any concentration from EDT upwards/onward and also any vintage.

Up to the point of considering this not just a feminine masterpiece, but also (especially if choosing/considering the EDT, EDP and/or extrait version of any vintage) with quite solid male/unisex SOTD potential as well.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
While both rather belated to reply and also admitting to be far from being very well informed on the subject - nevertheless, enjoyed this one so far in any concentration from EDT upwards/onward and also any vintage.

Up to the point of considering this not just a feminine masterpiece, but also (especially if choosing/considering the EDT, EDP and/or extrait version of any vintage) with quite solid male/unisex SOTD potential as well.
I’m so glad that you’ve shared your input on the Shalimar! Belated or not, I’m always interested in your opinion 👍🏻

Both should arrive before noon tomorrow (edp on time, edt 1 day early), and I’m ridiculously excited to try them! I plan to try one for day, and the second for night. I’d like to try one per day to really let each one shine, but …. I may not be able to wait.

badarun

Basenotes Institution
Jan 15, 2013
I doubt there's been a bad version of Shalimar, however, the VTG PdT is hands down my favorite. Older the vintage, the better the vanilla is, normally.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Back in the 90’s in the locked cases

Of the modern versions, I personally prefer the EDT. I dig that citrus top.
Today is the big day! I’m going to try to restrain myself today, and try each on their own separate day. Perhaps the edt first, then.

In between lessons, I’ve been staring out of the window like a house cat.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I am currently wearing the Shalimar edp, and have aquatinted myself with the edt as well.

I am thoroughly enjoying it! When I first smelled the edt, and then subsequently the edp, I let out an audible, “Wow”. Although I had sampled the edp once before around a decade ago, I truly had completely forgotten what kind of scent this was. It was like smelling it for the first time all over again. This is something worlds away from anything I wear or own.

To me, wearing Shalimar is like learning a new language. I’m not yet fully understanding much of what I’m hearing, and most of it is foreign territory for me - but I’m enamored by it, and I want to learn it, speak it, understand it. As I’m wearing it, I’m noticing different notes, and it’s so complex and I’m truly savoring this scent.

Can’t wait to wear the edt!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I did not like Shalimar when I first tried it. Partly because I had a mental block to 'powder' in fragrances. That changed.

After a couple days I could not stop thinking about it. Now it smells like its been part of my life forever.

When I die I want someone to spray Shalimar in my room at hospice. Serious.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I did not like Shalimar when I first tried it. Partly because I had a mental block to 'powder' in fragrances. That changed.

After a couple days I could not stop thinking about it. Now it smells like its been part of my life forever.

When I die I want someone to spray Shalimar in my room at hospice. Serious.
Never in a million years would I have guessed that there was a time that you didn’t like Shalimar!!

I can absolutely see how it can be a fickle scent for some new noses. There’s a lot to take in - for me, at least. It’s very different from what I usually surround myself with.

It didn’t leave enough of an impression on me a decade ago for me to pursue a bottle, but after being reacquainted with it, I’d love to call one “mine”.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...