Guerlain releasing 3 new Oud fragrances

RawM.I.A.

Wait, What's That Smell?!
Basenotes Plus
Jan 25, 2017
8IlL0Jk.jpg

Saw this new info on Instagram/Facebook & online & thought I'd share.

Cherry Oud
Oud Nude
Oud Khol

No release date yet, but will update when it becomes available.
So far only notes for Cherry Oud available.

Cardomom & Cinnamon

Heart
Turkish Rose & Bulgarian Rose

Base
Oud Wood & Cherry Accord

Perfumer: Delphin Jelk

Cherry Oud is a new fragrance for women and men launched in 2022 under L’art et La Matière collection.

“Cherry oud between Red and Black, Oud wood is lacquered with cherry Revealing its most devastating carmine facets, the oud wood is lacquered with a cherry red note. Audaciously disturbed by the Perfumer Guerlain, it reveals itself in a woody fruity floral with mysterious accents.”
“In this creation between mischief and sacred, I wanted to play the contrast between the rarity, the mystery, the dark side of oud wood and the smile, the impertinence of the cherry. ” Delphin Jelk The Perfumer.
“As if plucked from Guerlain’s iconic palette, a lacquered red cherry accord shakes up the majesty of oud wood. A vibrant and daring chromatic clash, visual and tactile as well as olfactory, a true encounter between the mystery of black and the power of red. A clash of spices – burning cinnamon and stinging cardamom – enhances the fruity intensity of the cherry accord. A unique and powerful olfactory color enhanced by a duo of roses at the heart of the fragrance: an absolute of honeyed Turkish rose and an essence of fruity Bulgarian rose.”

pfranka

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010
I saw the notes for the other two today here:

Oud Kohl sounds a little like Habit Rouge Dress Code, maybe? I love that one, so hopefully this will be a nice twist. Raspberry is one of my favorite notes, so can't wait to try all of these.

Oud Kohl:
  1. Top Notes
    • Aldehydes
  2. Heart Notes
    • Leather, Praline
  3. Base notes
    • Oud wood
Oud Nude:
  1. Top Notes
    • Almond , Cumin
  2. Heart Notes
    • Raspberry accord, Atlas Cedar
  3. Base notes
    • Sandalwood, Oud, Vanilla

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I saw the notes for the other two today here:

Oud Kohl sounds a little like Habit Rouge Dress Code, maybe? I love that one, so hopefully this will be a nice twist. Raspberry is one of my favorite notes, so can't wait to try all of these.

Oud Kohl:
  1. Top Notes
    • Aldehydes
  2. Heart Notes
    • Leather, Praline
  3. Base notes
    • Oud wood
Oud Nude:
  1. Top Notes
    • Almond , Cumin
  2. Heart Notes
    • Raspberry accord, Atlas Cedar
  3. Base notes
    • Sandalwood, Oud, Vanilla
The other two sound good also.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
The longer writeup on Oud Kohl is intriguing.

Melatic aldehydes against a toasted, smoky mineralic charcoal accord against praline and oud, with "absolute blackness" as a guiding principle. I mean, it could be a disaster, but I want to smell it anyway.

The other two sound kind of blah, but hopefully I'll be surprised.

heavy black heart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 20, 2022
The longer writeup on Oud Kohl is intriguing.

Melatic aldehydes against a toasted, smoky mineralic charcoal accord against praline and oud, with "absolute blackness" as a guiding principle. I mean, it could be a disaster, but I want to smell it anyway.

The other two sound kind of blah, but hopefully I'll be surprised.

praline & absolute blackness seem at odds to me

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
I've never been too impressed by any of Guerlain's Oriental outings, but if these lean more into a Guerlainade-meets-oud vibe, I could get into that (or at least be curious to sample it).

The oud/rose one probably does go that route, but Nude sounds interesting with its combination of cumin and almond - I love cumin but hate almond, and overall have no idea what they would smell like together - would it be a kind of marzipan almond note or something more roasted and woody? A kind of "dry roasted almond" could go really well with oud and cumin.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
praline & absolute blackness seem at odds to me
Me too. That's why I'm interested to smell how this was handled with skilled hands. For better or worse, this one in particular sounds like it was informed by a very specific and unique artistic goal. This setup usually results in something that's either very good or very bad.

I've never been too impressed by any of Guerlain's Oriental outings, but if these lean more into a Guerlainade-meets-oud vibe, I could get into that (or at least be curious to sample it).

The oud/rose one probably does go that route, but Nude sounds interesting with its combination of cumin and almond - I love cumin but hate almond, and overall have no idea what they would smell like together - would it be a kind of marzipan almond note or something more roasted and woody? A kind of "dry roasted almond" could go really well with oud and cumin.
You make good points. I feel the same way about almond and cumin in isolation, and the combo initially didn't sound very appealing...but you're right, if the cumin can modify the almond to make it feel toasty sweet instead of sticky high pitched sweet (which is how I normally perceive it), that could be, again, interesting if nothing else.

joov84

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 8, 2012
Guerlain Ouds First impressions

- Cherry oud : opens up with cherry and some nice cardamom . Rose soon appears and cherry remains in the background. A nice leather in the base with some cypriol/ oud. I like the drydown. It has a slightly lipsticky/make up leather feel. very good performance. I need more time with this. i'm not a big fan of the cherry/rose combination.

- Oud khol: Incensy leathery soap. opens with a burst of soap from the aldehydes. smoky almost charred form the incensy, sharp cypriol/ oud and leather. It remains soapy for long . I don't get the praline . very good performance. I'm not a fan of it.

- Oud Nude: it's from the 24 gold / kalemat/ Raghba family of fragrances but its smoother and with better quality. Really nice raspberry, almond, vanilla and wood . Gourmandish, Delicious sweet fragrance . A hint of smoke. It's my favourite out of the three . excellent performance.

Last edited:

Latest News