Guerlain Les Voyages Olfactives 05 Shanghai

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
At the Vegas Guerlain boutique, the one fragrance that caught my attention from ALL of the scents that I sampled, and that I bought a full bottle of, was Les Voyages Olfactives 05 Shanghai.

I love the extremely limited Quand Vient la Pluie and in my opinion, there is a 'part' of QVLP inside of Shanghai - a sort of sweet, almond, heliotrope-ish note that smells simultaneously nutty, floral and woody. Slightly edible, but not in a full-blown gourmand way. Shanghai is more of a transparent, sheer, cologne-ish version of this accord and bolstered by an anisic top note and a less rich, complex drydown. In fact, this one fades fast, so I have to really douse myself with it to 'stick', which it finally does.

I love my Guerlains, especially the orientals but some of them can be difficult to wear in Miami in the warm Fall weather, whereas Shanghai is perfect for hot weather because of its sheerness and non-heavy feeling that still allows me to enjoy the Guerlinade I so enjoy.

Not cheap, in fact I think it's sort of overpriced considering I have to douse myself with it. But, there is nothing that smells like this (well, except as I have noted above, other Guerlain scents) and it's unique, versatile and comforting aura is addictive.

Anyone else who's smelled this, please comment, I'd love to hear others experiences with the scent.

Kiliwia

Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2010
I've tried Shanghai from a decant and I think your observations are spot on. It's currently on my wish list, almost bought it in October, but then we got a foot of snow here in Minnesota, so I thought I'd hold out until spring. I just hope it's still available then. I do think it would be better in spring and summer. I agree with you about the price, the whole Les Voyages Olfactifs line is over priced, but Shanghai was so special I'd be willing to spend that much on it. Moscow is the other one in the line up that I thought was good, the others are very forgettable.

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
I like it and agree with both of you, Mike and Kiliwia :)

Although it's set at quite a low volume (in terms of projection) I find I'm aware of it for quite a few hours. I sense a soft wood in the base (may just be my own interpretation) that strikes me as an interesting and quite unexpected follow-up to the muted Quand Vient la Pluie / Apres l'Ondee Extrait style opening.

Best of the bunch so far by a long way. It really makes me think of 1930's Shanghai Divas in beautiful Qipaos in those lovely old mansions in The French Concession and wood panelled hotels on the Bund - you can still experience that era in Shanghai in the right circles :)

HuYongKaiShanghaiLady.jpg

Last edited:

googl.plex1

Dec 18, 2007
Mike,

Thanks for providing me w/ the perfect Alibi 4 dousing myself in Shanghai("getting Shanghaied" as I called) during our Vegas reunion, despite Al Gae & Shiny Beast giggling in the background; U should have taken a picture of that;)

PS. Did u get the fotos I forwarded 2 Warum, Grant & Co? Just ask for a copy!

Last edited:

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I think Wasser did a great job with Shanghai. I had high hopes for it, but it exceeded them completely within the first five minutes of testing on skin. It may be my favorite Guerlain at this point.

For me, it's pure pleasure. My main reference points for it are Habit Rouge and a slew of modern mainstream scents that I won't mention, for fear of turning people away from it. Rubegon gave me a nice set of Habit Rouge samples in various concentrations and vintages. I like them, but I just couldn't love them. Shanghai has all the parts of Habit Rouge that I love, and none of the parts that don't thrill me. In their place, it has some nice old woody notes - very ornate - and some modern touches that I won't bother to mention. A beautiful combination of old and new.

I actually get great longevity out of it. I smell it all day at work, and into the evening. On clothing, it lasts even longer. Not as strong as it could be, but strong enough. And I can wear it more than one day in a row, easily, which I can't do with all of my scents.

Very versatile. Not too casual, not too formal. Good in the Vegas heat, good in the current cold. Not too masculine, not too feminine. But it has character. Lots of it.

Very glad I bought Shanghai!

:happy:

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I also like New York in the series, with it's quiet reference to Aqua Allegora Winter Delices, I hope to add that to my wardrobe one of these days (maybe a bottle split or decant which would do me fine).

Glad Shanghai is getting some love.

I was getting a little worried, it had been a while since I really liked a 'new' Guerlain release. This one hit me right between the eyes - instant joy!

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I liked Shanghai but not enough for a FB. I adored London 04 for its quirky leather and fruit notes.

I thought London was extremely well-done - very evocative of England, and a very nice scent, too. I'm not so much into either leathers or the "quaint" vibe that London has, for personal wear, but I think if I was a woman, I'd be all over it. My wife was very impressed, too - enough that she stopped in her tracks to ask me what it was. I considered it a really strong showing by Wasser. I thought that it managed to be as youthful as LPRN, without being so "modern girly". Perhaps it could be regarded as "steampunk floral"? Whatever it is, I thought it was great.

For me, Shanghai just hits my core loves. It has a *beautiful* sweetness, combined with some high-class powdery stuff, along with a bit of edgy woody complexity that I really dig. The sweetness doesn't die on me, either - works great on my skin. I think it has huge crossover appeal - both Guerlain traditionalists and skeptical modernists can love this one. Very glad I sprang for the bottle!!!

Latest News