Guerlain/Givenchy/Chanel current formulations | Basenotes

Guerlain/Givenchy/Chanel current formulations

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I'm particularly interested in the current formulations of:

Chanel Pour Monsieur
Givenchy Gentleman
Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (discontinued?)
Guerlain Héritage EDT
Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
Guerlain Habit Rouge EDP
Guerlain Habit Rouge L'Eau

Has anyone tried the current formulations of any of these? Which ones are good and which should I avoid?

Sep 11, 2021
1. Current Chanel has lost the depth of oakmoss, and the opening is fresher. Overall I'd say it's a good one (above decent) in its own right as long as you don't compare it with the old ones.

2. Current Givenchy gentleman: there are two current versions with the same bottle, one of the liquid is amber while the other is transparent. Avoid them both like hell. The amber one tries to imitate the vintage but fails miserably, totally losing the depth and balance of the original. The transparent: stay away and dont even try; it's a different juice.

3. Current Givenchy monsieur: G launched a new series of reformulation, incl. Vetyver, Xeryus and Monsieur. I have the new Vetyver and am pretty sure it's inferior to the vintage. So a reasonable guess is that the new Monsieur doesnt compare to its former glory either.

4. Habit rouge edt: the new one smells sweeter to my nose, less powdery/ soapy toward the drydown and more citrus in the opening.

5. Heritage: this also smells sweeter. I have the feeling that in reformulating (I'd rather say updating because there really isnt that much a difference) Habit rouge and Heritage, T. Wasser just decided to do nothing but throw in more Guerlinade, the patented Guerlain recipe.

6. Guerlain vetiver: can't really tell the difference sorry.

Overall I say Chanel and Guerlain have done a good job staying close to the vintage. The most disappointing one is no doubt Givenchy.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I'd say the Habit rouge are still nice. I haven't seen Monsieur de Givenchy in a long while. Chanel pour monsieur edt (where it is available, not sure where) is fresh and nice, but it has lost its chypre base. Still worth buying, but not exactly as it was. Chanel pour monsieur edp is a somewhat different perfume, sweeter than the old-so it cannot really be compared.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
2. Current Givenchy gentleman: there are two current versions with the same bottle, one of the liquid is amber while the other is transparent. Avoid them both like hell. The amber one tries to imitate the vintage but fails miserably, totally losing the depth and balance of the original. The transparent: stay away and dont even try; it's a different juice.

I'm talking about this one in particular:

550x804.jpg

Great summary btw. Thanks for the effort.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I'm also curious about the bad formulations: are they still better than most modern designer scents in your opinion?

Tristan45

Jun 30, 2017
Givenchy Gentleman - the most recent bottles in the boxes labelled "Originale" are worth trying in my opinion. They've improved the formula considerably from the version that was around at the time they introduced the new Givenchy Gentleman line (the iris-heavy ones), and it still merits a wear. That earlier version should be avoided but I rather like the Originale. I've got bottles of the original tall bottle with silver wrap-around label so have compared them directly. It's still one of the classiest scents on the market.

The Givenchy Monsieur in its current state doesn't show well - far too generic and it's lost a lot of the base notes. It's still in production and you can find it on the website (UK and France for sure). The Vetyver is still beautiful (I prefer it to the rather ubiquitous Guerlain version) but has lost some of its staying power. The version in the tall bottle with the brown label is one to find if you can. True vintage is very rare and will cost you. It was Hubert de Givenchy's personal scent supposedly, so it is worth trying, even if you might have to reapply more often.

Habit Rouge - I'd always go for the EDT, which is closer to the original conception of the scent. EDP is lovely but the composition is slightly different. Be daring though and get the inspiriation for Habit Rouge which is Shalimar. In the EDT in particular it is very wearable as a unisex.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009

View attachment 161770

I have this one and quite like it. Feels a bit dressy to me.

I think this scent's reputation suffers in comparison to its original (vintage) version.

This one was a real beast originally I'm sure. The debates on whether the current version is "ruined" or "pretty good" are quite impassioned. There are similar battles about Antaeus.

The version I have wears a little close, but surprised me with delightful little wafts for a long time.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Givenchy and Guerlain current formulations are still solid excellent choices. The Chanel has suffered some reformulation but you can always add sprays to clothing to make up for it and it performs well with a few sprays to clothing I’ve done 5 sprays and was fine 6 sprays for good measure!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm particularly interested in the current formulations of:

Chanel Pour Monsieur
Givenchy Gentleman
Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (discontinued?)
Guerlain Héritage EDT
Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
Guerlain Habit Rouge EDP
Guerlain Habit Rouge L'Eau

Has anyone tried the current formulations of any of these? Which ones are good and which should I avoid?

You could probably look at Chanel Pour Monsieur and Guerlain Heritage.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I have tried the current formulation of six from the list, but haven't tried Habit Rouge EDT or L'Eau and found them all to be very nice.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I own the current "Originale" version of Givenchy Gentleman and a vintage wrap-around label. The current one is not bad at all in itself but it's more "safe and boring" than the older one and hence I never wear it.

As for Chanel pour Monsieur: I've only tested the current one in a store and it felt quite piercing and stringent. The bottle that I bought recently from about a twenty years ago feels more pleasant.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018

View attachment 161770

Givenchy Gentleman EdT Originale is the current and it's just fine. With all the ingredients-restrictions and prohibitions these days, Givenchy has done a good job, imo. I own deep-vintages and a 2009 version, when it still had the silver cap, that smells great.
6116343eda4738995ecfa4839c70789e.jpg

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
So far, had enough good experiences in order to recommend further, especially with the current formulations of:

Chanel pour Monsieur, Habit Rouge EDT and EDP

while also tending to second current Chanel Antaeus, because while its animalic hints and performance are significantly dialed back, this one still remains a fairly credible rendition of the powerhouse classic style-though maybe with less beast mode aspects

Latest News