Guerlain Extraits discontinued ?

jaromil

Basenotes Member
Jan 14, 2017
dear guerlain-fans.

i just realized that it seems impossible to find any guerlain extrait (except for shalimar) at official guerlain-sites; us, france, german or international, i checked a few of them.

even kafkaesque had an entry on her blog this april ;

"At the time of this review, April 2022, Guerlain has removed ALL EXTRAITS except for Shalimar parfum from its website."

does someone know what happend ?

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
I know for a fact Jicky was out of stock recently, people thought the extrait was discontinued because it wasn't on the site, and it came back in stock at Harrods, but still wasn't listed on the site. I believe many fragrances that relied on naturals, like Guerlain extraits, have trouble procuring ingredients in recent times.

Adonna

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 20, 2010
Wow, that would be a tragedy.
Breathe..............
If it's not been officially announced chances are they are just out of stock.
a~~

saminlondon

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2011
I've read that the distribution of the extraits is going to be severely restricted. They will continue to be made, but will be available only in the refillable bee bottles - so in sizes in 125ml and up. Possibly in only France too, but nothing has been confirmed as yet.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I've read that the distribution of the extraits is going to be severely restricted. They will continue to be made, but will be available only in the refillable bee bottles - so in sizes in 125ml and up. Possibly in only France too, but nothing has been confirmed as yet.

I think I may have heard something like that too.

Over a year ago, when Guerlain was making a lot of mysterious changes in their product lines, I wanted to secure a 30 ml of Shalimar parfum, for sentimental reasons. No store or site within proximity had any. I found one bottle on the Bergdorf-Goodman site and ordered it. It was sent from Texas, I’m guessing from a Neiman Marcus location. Since then most sites are still indicating Out of Stock and I haven’t seen any of the other scents in parfum.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
If this were true, I'd be very disappointed. Although the quality certainly isn't what it once as, the Guerlain extraits have the perception to me of being one of those rare products that has something special to it. The small little breadloaf bottles, or the quadrillobe, just nice little bottles with a nice scent inside, with a nice romantic history, that didn't cost too much -- 1oz ~ $250-300 vs Chanel's 0.5oz for $240. I really liked just knowing they exist. If those are gone, I'd be sad. I wouldn't feel a need to own them again, but rather would mourn for one of those last remnants of a by-gone era.

Fortunately, it makes little sense for Wasser to have spent all that time recreating the formulas, to only discontinue them for the most part. I bet they come back for general public purchase. They'll keep Shalimar around, and I find it hard to believe Jicky or Mitsouko would go anywhere either.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I recently (last month) was able to buy a 30ml bottle of L’Heure Bleue extrait through a friend in Paris at the 68 Champs Elysees store, so it is available, but in general I’ve heard the same rumor that the extraits will be sold in 125ml bee bottles going forward.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
I had to think about how I feel if these are discontinued. I almost want to immediately drop $1,500, and pick up 30ml extraits of all the classics. I still may do so.

Guerlain represents something special to me. It seems to me it wasn't until sometime in the 1990's at the earliest that perfume began to be seen as something more artistic, and worthy of really deep thought by more people. Especially in the mid-to-late 90's niche began to pick up. That time may have been one of the best to get into perfume, but that wasn't my time. I got lucky to have my eyes open to this world when vintage perfumes were cheap and plentiful on eBay and other sites. I've been privileged to try out many truly wonderful vintage perfumes because of that. Perhaps then I was around for one of the best times in perfumery. Who knows? I've tried the Guerlain extraits, and they're wonderful. There was also something wonderful knowing that even though the current iterations were different in ways, something wonderful existed just a few steps, or clicks, away. There was really something sublimely comforting knowing that I could order a little 30ml breadloaf bottle of Mitsouko, or the little Indian talisman bottle of Shalimar any time I wanted. If that's gone, I'm truly sad.

saminlondon

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2011
Just to confirm: there are no rumours of discontinuation - just restricted distribution. Though that's a fine distinction for anyone who won't have easy access to them going forward. Let's just wait and hope for some clarity in the near future.

Guerlain's commercial approach just gets harder and harder to understand as time goes on.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
Just to confirm: there are no rumours of discontinuation - just restricted distribution. Though that's a fine distinction for anyone who won't have easy access to them going forward. Let's just wait and hope for some clarity in the near future.

Guerlain's commercial approach just gets harder and harder to understand as time goes on.
That makes the most sense to me. I still can't help the impluse to hoard a bottle of each.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...