Guerlain: Corolian (1998, original) vs. L'Ame de Heros (2008, reformulation) by Guerlain

odysseusm

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 12, 2007
I want to put this review in the Conehead forum ...

Here is a side-by-side comparison.
Corolian
Sharper, more zip from the juniper. More substantial, powerful. More pronounced smoky-earthy note from the everlasting flower. Various notes are more distinct.
Top Notes: lemon tree leaves, bergamot
Heart Notes: juniper; absinthe; coriander; nutmeg; juniper
Base Notes: oakmoss, patchouli, everlasting flower

Discontinued, but reorchestrated and relaunched as L'Ame d'un Héros in 2008.

L'Ame de Heros
Lemony, bright. Hint of dusky quality. Bit of energetic freshness from the juniper berries. Attractive, well-blended, smooth. Dry, wears well. More subtle than Corolian.
Top Notes: bergamot, lemon blossom, neroli, sage
Heart Notes: absinthe: pepper, juniper berry, ylang ylang
Base Notes: strawflower, vetiver, patchouli, benzoin

Coriolan is bright, powerful and assertive at first. Well blended, but I can pick out the juniper berry and absinthe notes. Woody spices warm it up. Maybe there are some aldehydes here -- the scent has an amplified, somewhat "loud" quality. Also, there is a slight metallic note which could be from the oakmoss or the patchouli. In time, everything settles down and it is enjoyable.
L'Ame d'un Heros lacks that full-throttle quality. It is more subtle than Coriolan and sits closer to the skin. It has similar features to Coriolan but is more attuned to today's market, I think. I find it easier to appreciate in its opening stages.

Both have a similar dry-down. In general, a lovely dry green chypre, wears well.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...