GUERLAIN BOIS MYSTÉRIEUX vs. SONGE D'UN BOIS D'ÉTÉ

Mudassir

Jun 17, 2007
So I got a little curious and got a bottle of Bois Mysterieux. The number of reviewers parroting Songe has been renamed to Bois Mysterieux is astounding. Perhaps because of the discontinuation of one series roughly coincided with the birth of the other? Perhaps because of the name Encens Mythique being a part of both? I couldn't find a definitive source, and only one ever reviewed Songe. I can only speculate a dime a dozen expensive niche review videos because a free bottle is sent compared to no freebies from Guerlain; and Bois still being at a "value" pricepoint; whereas you'd have to fork out a decent chunk of change to do a video review for Songe if you aren't getting freebies.

Verdict: Of course they aren't the same. It makes absolutely no business sense to release the same scent for 1/3rd the price- but go ahead and parrot away. Bois Mysterieux is a dry skanky wood that is pretty linear throughout, and has been done dozens of times. Songe is one of the most opulent and luxurious scents released in the past decade. Sure both share the same dry/woody/skanky character; but the smokiness, the floral(albeit a bit challenging) opening; and specially the smooth luxury feel of Songe is missing in Bois.

Songe description directly from the horse's mouth:

"A deep leather, sumptuous woods, supreme momentum ... Dark is the night ... A deep night that only unveils its radiance through its intensity, adorned with touches of cedar, patchouli and myrrh. Powerful, yet caught between lightness and darkness, and extremely enveloping, it is the perfect synthesis of a passion for spices, woods and their resins. A modern interpretation of the concept of exoticism. Its eminently masculine character, both wild and noble, is sharpened by a leathery gust underlined by floral accents. This searing tenderness and smooth energy hint at a refined adventure in which smouldering essences eloquently recall kingdoms of sand with fiery horizons. Not tested on animals."

Bois Mysterieux description directly from the horse's mouth:

"Bois Mystérieux is a unique and audacious fragrance with a modern interpretation of the concept of exoticism. It’s like a deep night that only unveils its radiance through its intensity, adorned with touches of cedar, patchouli and myrrh."

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I still think they're the same, but differing opinions are always welcome. An ad read is not proof of anything as you are asserting. I'm not accusing you of anything, and sellers of Songe on grey market websites have a vested interest in hyping of Songe as being something amazing, and completely different than Bois seeing as Songe is being sold for $400-500, and you can readily get Bois for $120-150. As the Basenotes wisdom goes if you really care then get both, because you'll end up getting both anyways down the road.

RawM.I.A.

Hey What's That Smell?!
Basenotes Plus
Jan 25, 2017
I fell in love with the original tri-fecta & own back-ups of all of them.

I have no interest in acquiring the new renditions/releases in the new packaging, I will continue to hoard the originals.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
I own a FB of Songe and had a manufacturers sample of Bois, so I feel pretty qualified to opine on them.

I feel similarly to Mudassir, Songe is much more opulent than Bois Mysterieux. It feels deeper and richer, and more complex. It feels like the ingredients used are of a higher quality. Most importantly, its missing that sultry smokiness that makes Songe so good.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Thank you so much for the infos.
Being an almost (and/or increasingly) long term fan of Songe d'un Bois d'Ete but considering how pricey and/or increasingly difficult to get this one became, always wanted to know more about all the rumours of Bois Mysterieux being more or less comparable to this.

Vinrambo09

Jan 14, 2010
They are definitely different , I have both, Songe leans to Leather Oud, Bois has a more salty -ambergris-like accord to me.

Staff online

Latest News