Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme is really good!

Jun 10, 2012
I agree with you 100%.

What it does might be limited in terms of evolution, but what it does do, it does extremely well.

It seems ridiculous to be wearing a fragrance from Carven's current line-up and voice a concern for poor ingredients, "junk".

My viewpoint of GGApH isn't as extreme as that of cpp214, but I agree with the essence of his post. I eventually sold my bottle, and do not miss it one bit.

And that Carven isn't half bad - have you tried it?

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Re discontinuation: it’s still on Gucci’s website in 3 sizes. Rumors of its death are much exaggerated, I think.

That said, not surprised at all if some stores are pulling it. It has no topnote “curb appeal” for most, and even beyond that, I have to agree it’s borberline ugly. Which can be fun to break out for scent fans who are contrarian, tolerant of some artistic ugliness, and/or bored with the common, but for Joe Sephora, I get the reluctance. And that’s not necessarily a harsh comment on that customer. Hard to make a case for including GGA in a utilitarian wardrobe of <5 if you aren’t immediately in love with it.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I'm just laughing that people are still screaming about (non-existent) impending discontinuation almost as if they aren't allowed to like GGA until it's a rare pricey "misunderstood" showpiece. Poor hipsters drink obscure coffee, cheap beer, wear thrift store clothes and listen to their parents LPs. Rich hipsters apparently pray for a new fragrance to fail before they're allowed to hoard it and gloat about how genius it was/successful it should have been.

Keep talking that way, and if the right folks at Gucci see it, they'll grant your wish, much to the chagrin of us reasonable blokes who'd rather be able to pick it up at our leisure on FragranceNet instead of run a manic steeplechase on eBay to grab it before it's the new "Goosey Guy Juice". Gucci Guilty Absolute is a nice, albeit linear patchouli leather, and I do want it at some point, but without the undue stress all this psychobabbe gossip causes.

Sheesh

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I'm just laughing that people are still screaming about (non-existent) impending discontinuation almost as if they aren't allowed to like GGA until it's a rare pricey "misunderstood" showpiece.

Is that what it is?
I personally wouldn't have thought that, since I don't notice ANYONE in real life wearing it or talking about it.

For me, I had two different SAs tell me it was discontinued.
I've found out that often times that simply means they don't carry it and simply want you to buy something else.

Anyways, I saw that Big Lots was selling an "Our Version of Gucci Guilty Absolute."
Doesn't that mean it's doing okay if companies are making off brand versions of it? Or do they do that for any new release?

masonjarjar

Dec 27, 2007
Anyways, I saw that Big Lots was selling an "Our Version of Gucci Guilty Absolute."
Doesn't that mean it's doing okay if companies are making off brand versions of it? Or do they do that for any new release?

Well considering there are Preferred Frag's "versions" of Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Polo Supreme Oud and Supreme Leather, it doesn't surprise me one bit!

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Is that what it is?
I personally wouldn't have thought that, since I don't notice ANYONE in real life wearing it or talking about it.

For me, I had two different SAs tell me it was discontinued.
I've found out that often times that simply means they don't carry it and simply want you to buy something else.

Yes, that's exactly what it is, but since text poorly conveys levity without onamonapea, here we go: "hahahahahaha"

That should be enough reassurance for a stranger on the Internet. Good day. ;)

D

Deleted member 13385235

I'm just laughing that people are still screaming about (non-existent) impending discontinuation almost as if they aren't allowed to like GGA until it's a rare pricey "misunderstood" showpiece

... The Basenotes Way :beer:

Tis the way its always been with loads of scents and will be but don't say it too loud otherwise you'll upset the fragrantory hipsters that congregate here and are just waiting for the moment that someone asks them why they smell like an elderly male yak has urinated on them so they can say "This? Oh, its been discontinued so you can't buy it..."

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
... The Basenotes Way :beer:

Tis the way its always been with loads of scents and will be but don't say it too loud otherwise you'll upset the fragrantory hipsters that congregate here and are just waiting for the moment that someone asks them why they smell like an elderly male yak has urinated on them so they can say "This? Oh, its been discontinued so you can't buy it..."

My new best friend right here. I'd love to buy you a beer, just no basement nanobrewery hipster IPA crap. I like hops, but I also like barley and a nice malt backbone to my ales.

Too Damn funny Palmolive!

He's tough on grease, but soft on hands. :p

D

Deleted member 13385235

*takes a bow*

Telling y'all, I've noticed this trait again and again with so many scents on here that its unreal. It seems the harder something is to find the greater it smells to a certain group, even if they never gave a toss about it when it was being cleared out in bargain bins for 10 bucks but once its gone through the old discontinued>youtube hype>eBay scalpers cycle and is now back on the block at a few hundred percent markup it becomes a "grail" that all the simple minded peasants weren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the first time round and yet (amusingly) if one peruses the posts history of these waxed mustache, nanobrew sipping, fixie riding oh so cool members you'd nary find a whisper of said fragrance before they were told what to think...

Strange days indeed.

Scarce

Dec 28, 2014
*takes a bow*

Telling y'all, I've noticed this trait again and again with so many scents on here that its unreal. It seems the harder something is to find the greater it smells to a certain group, even if they never gave a toss about it when it was being cleared out in bargain bins for 10 bucks but once its gone through the old discontinued>youtube hype>eBay scalpers cycle and is now back on the block at a few hundred percent markup it becomes a "grail" that all the simple minded peasants weren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the first time round and yet (amusingly) if one peruses the posts history of these waxed mustache, nanobrew sipping, fixie riding oh so cool members you'd nary find a whisper of said fragrance before they were told what to think...

Strange days indeed.

The other reaction, almost as soon as it was released:

"That's really good...It came from a designer?!...Jeez, how long before they discontinue it?"

:rolleyesold:

jkittlesen

Dec 16, 2019
Yeah, this is a great fragrance.
I can see why some people might not think it's "good" because it's the polar opposite of stuff like Bleu or Sauvage, or any other modern sweet.
I'm very impressed by it. It's the only cologne that really stands out at Macy's.
Whoever made the previous threads about it being an underrated gem, thanks, because if I hadn't read those I never would have tried it out.

Polar opposite, I'm in.
Waiting for a Monday arrival!

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I remember the first couple times I sampled this and I was so entranced with it. I loved it but it was such a bizarre scent from what I was use to.

I decided to go to some random site called Basenotes and read up on what other people thought. I remember thinking, ok, there's got to be other people out there who enjoy this as much as I do.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I used to compare this to Fahrenheit while thinking that the Dior was better. I'm starting to prefer GGA. It's less busy, and a more simplified leather fragrance. I feel this really is a masterpiece. I hardly wear it, but it's easily in the top 3 of my collection:

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
I like it a lot. I think ive burned like 30 ml so far or something. It has great charector. I wish there was some type of developement. This and TF Noir Anthracite remind me of each other. They do not smell alike. But they both have a masculine throwback appeal, in a stripped down linear manor.

jkittlesen

Dec 16, 2019
I like it a lot. I think ive burned like 30 ml so far or something. It has great charector. I wish there was some type of developement. This and TF Noir Anthracite remind me of each other. They do not smell alike. But they both have a masculine throwback appeal, in a stripped down linear manor.

Good info

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
This and TF Noir Anthracite remind me of each other. They do not smell alike. But they both have a masculine throwback appeal, in a stripped down linear manor.

I can totally see that - both fragrances that I own and love. They share a kind of brash, aggressive, very dry macho character, but not musk-soaked manliness nor ambroxan-fueled woody dryness.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006

I can totally see that - both fragrances that I own and love. They share a kind of brash, aggressive, very dry macho character, but not musk-soaked manliness nor ambroxan-fueled woody dryness.

Absolutely. Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense completed the trifecta, and they all came out around the same time.

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
Of the 3 I think Gucci has the best presentation by far. The whiskey flask thing perfectly fits. The slightly ovoid cap, clicks into place. Its nice. OWI is just blah, same old TF, Anthracite def fits the theme of the fragrance, but the bottle is just so glossy. I prefer the bottles of the edp and edt to this one. The cap could use a little more weight, and no TFs click, so. GGA, winner.

Nov 20, 2017

I'm also a fan of TF Noir Anthracite, though I don't own a bottle (yet). Now you mention it, I see the similarity of approach with GGA. Not tried TF OWI.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
It would eventually come up anyway as always so I figured I might as well.
Oh I see. Yes indeed, reform panickers and old bottles braggers are everywhere. With GGA, there's no risks, since the wood and leather note are aromachemicals, and vetiver is ubiquitous and cheap. No reason to reformulate it in the next 50 years, unless to re-issue it with a more crowdpleasing scent profile.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Fragrantica crowd screams reformulation on newer batches I’ve yet to smell anything new since most stores have stopped carrying it. I doubt much if anything has changed but plenty of stock is still out there most of which is older batches but prices have skyrocketed over the last 2 years grab what your able to obtain I’m sure all is fine regardless.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Fragrantica crowd screams reformulation on newer batches I’ve yet to smell anything new since most stores have stopped carrying it. I doubt much if anything has changed but plenty of stock is still out there most of which is older batches but prices have skyrocketed over the last 2 years grab what your able to obtain I’m sure all is fine regardless.

It could just be that the first few sprays of a new bottle are weaker and get much better after a few days which I have experienced with most new buys. I'm experiencing it again with the 2018 GGA bottle I just opened. It's much weaker than the tester I sprayed on my wrist just this afternoon.

Latest News