Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme is really good!

Spoombung

Dec 27, 2010
Rather impressed with this stuff and I reckon it's one of the most interesting new things to come out in a long time. Leathery, of course, but has distinctive identity and developing layers. The blend of patchouli and vetiver is very successful IMO. Check it out.

D

Deleted member 13385235

I have a feeling this is going to become a hyped/grail/legendary fragrance with a price to match once it gets discontinued and the stock dries up as the thought of a mainstream designer putting a scent that smells like a broken down tractor in a dusty barn thats bathed with sunlight with a open first aid box nearby in this age is amazing in itself because of all of the factors at play like a design brief, focus group testing etc..

Scarce

Dec 28, 2014
I have a feeling this is going to become a hyped/grail/legendary fragrance with a price to match once it gets discontinued and the stock dries up as the thought of a mainstream designer putting a scent that smells like a broken down tractor in a dusty barn thats bathed with sunlight with a open first aid box nearby in this age is amazing in itself because of all of the factors at play like a design brief, focus group testing etc..

Especially so when you consider you can find it for around $60 USD / 90ml.

D

Deleted member 13385235

Especially so when you consider you can find it for around $60 USD / 90ml.

Yep. I've only given this a brief sampling yet and need to go back for a proper wearing with a few sprays but I can see why most folks would turn their nose up at as its not your standard designer fare but once you've been in this game a while you get a decent instinct at spotting these soon to be BN darlings before the hype train has even been created, let alone left the station.

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011

Agree 100% - you took the words right out of my mouth.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Yeah, this is a great fragrance.
I can see why some people might not think it's "good" because it's the polar opposite of stuff like Bleu or Sauvage, or any other modern sweet.
I'm very impressed by it. It's the only cologne that really stands out at Macy's.
Whoever made the previous threads about it being an underrated gem, thanks, because if I hadn't read those I never would have tried it out.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006

Heh, great post. My thoughts exactly.

The hype train does seem a little slow to get going with this one, given its uncompromising weirdness (at least for a designer, in this day and age). It can be jarring and standoffish - I will admit to being a little taken aback when I first sniffed it on paper, more out of surprise than anything, in hindsight - but it's worth the effort to give it a decent wear.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
To my nose, it smells like a peculiar combination of oud, leather, gasoline, gourmand/powdery notes, crafted and blended together unexpectedly well-exactly a combination of notes that could never work together in real life but still do so in spite (or maybe precisely because) of it

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
I have liked this since release, but just not quite enough to pull the trigger on a FB, even at discount prices and knowing full well that it's galloping toward discontinuation and thus full blown BN hype train / holy grail status. There was a thread recently about unintentional pickle accords in fragrances, well, this one's a front runner for that. Interestingly, most frags mentioned in that thread had vetiver notes that people felt weren't playing nice with other elements, and sure enough Guilty Absolute has vetiver in the base. At any rate, I have to give credit for its genuinely novel cypress accord, and the patchouli is great too (many of the new synthetics that also appear in TF Patchouli Absolu). But every other whiff I get that briny pickled thing.

Suspended

Jul 28, 2012
I LOVE it! Best designer fragrance in ages, certainly from Gucci. I'm already buying 150ml back-ups.

I'm wearing it so often that I'm becoming slightly anosmic to it.

Wonderful stuff!

D

Deleted member 13385235

In many ways this scent gave me an insight into what BN would've been like had it existed back in 88 when Fahrenheit dropped:

'Dior have lost it"

"What is this mess? It smells like a leather jacket dipped in 4 star petrol"

"Awful, who'd want to smell like this? Not a patch on Cool Water which is dropping panties all over the place. I'm a lawyer, why would I want to smell like a mechanic?"

"Ha, Dior is finished. CK for the win, Eternity urinates on this from such a great height. What a stinker"

"Guys have you smelled Jazz yet? Wow now thats a fragrance unlike this turgid turd"

And so on. Contrast that to how people feel about it now and do some thinking but then they do say that great art is never appreciated in its time so lets keep this here as testimony for when the ol BN hype train gets choo chooing and the stuff costs £200 a bottle and people fawn over it like crazy and say how its the most unique and interesting fragrance they've smelled and the rest of the usual hyperbole.

BN = fragrantory equivalent of hipsters just they don't ride fixies.

Suspended

Jul 28, 2012
I wish they'd given it a new name. They've left no room for flankers (not that it'll stop them. I know Gucci like to confuse everyone with their fragrance names.)

DanDan

Nov 6, 2017
BN = fragrantory equivalent of hipsters just they don't ride fixies.

I ride a fixed gear :grin:

My brother buys items more off brand name, including one of the fragrances from the Guilty line that smells horribly astringent to my nose. I've heard the fragrances of Gucci's past were more serious innovations than their present offerings so I was thinking of getting him one of those to open up his eyes while staying within a brand he likes, but maybe this one you guys are raving about is a good idea.

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014

Scarce

Dec 28, 2014

Suspended

Jul 28, 2012
Blimey, it seems that it's successful enough to capitalise on it and launch a women's version, too:

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Gucci/Gucci-Guilty-Absolute-pour-Femme-47743.html

Hope it's going to be just as subversive. Judging by the notes though, it looks like it may be similar to JHaG's Lady Venegance with an added dose of blackberry.

That's a good sign, especially with all this talk of discontinuation already.

I'd really like to try this and hope they've been just as adventurous.

D

Deleted member 13385235

I like the look of the notes on that flanker, lets see what it delivers.

onethinline

Dec 1, 2011
I haven't given my GG Absolute a full-day wear yet, but blotter and skin testing have been, as everyone rightly points out, impressive given this is a flanker to a ho-hum designer pillar. I agree with a post above that there's an oud-like effect from the phenolic facets of Absolute, which reminds me of leather, charred wood, tar, etc. Indeed some oud oils go through that sort of phase. The overall vibe of this one is deep, dark, smoky and charred; a bitter leather with acrid aspects and dry woods (cedar or cypress). I'd actually say this one is edgy even for niche fans. I mean, even the BBQ birch tar overdose of Patchouli 24 has vanilla to soften things, whereas this one never flinches. Really glad Gucci green-lit this, apparently due to a new creative director, and I take this as a positive sign of more creative stuff to come from the brand.

Scarce

Dec 28, 2014
To my nose, it smells like a peculiar combination of oud, leather, gasoline, gourmand/powdery notes, crafted and blended together unexpectedly well-exactly a combination of notes that could never work together in real life but still do so in spite (or maybe precisely because) of it

I have liked this since release, but just not quite enough to pull the trigger on a FB, even at discount prices and knowing full well that it's galloping toward discontinuation and thus full blown BN hype train / holy grail status. There was a thread recently about unintentional pickle accords in fragrances, well, this one's a front runner for that. Interestingly, most frags mentioned in that thread had vetiver notes that people felt weren't playing nice with other elements, and sure enough Guilty Absolute has vetiver in the base. At any rate, I have to give credit for its genuinely novel cypress accord, and the patchouli is great too (many of the new synthetics that also appear in TF Patchouli Absolu). But every other whiff I get that briny pickled thing.

Blind bought this just now, despite the harrowing 'pickle accord'. Will give impressions next week when it arrives.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Blind bought this just now, despite the harrowing 'pickle accord'. Will give impressions next week when it arrives.

Will be interested to know what you think. We seem to have similar tastes and ideas about what is good, especially with some cheaper stuff...aside from us standing on opposite shores of the Gulf of Bentley Intense :)

I bought Guilty Absolute last week, I think it's pretty great. There was an eBayer selling 90ml bottles for $46 (had like 80 or so of them) and I had eBay bucks to burn. Not disappointed at all.

Scarce

Dec 28, 2014
Will be interested to know what you think. We seem to have similar tastes and ideas about what is good, especially with some cheaper stuff...aside from us standing on opposite shores of the Gulf of Bentley Intense :)

I like that one quite a bit, but only when it's cold outside. Too warm and it gets a bit 'headache-y' for me, and I notice the synthetic aspects more.

I bought Guilty Absolute last week, I think it's pretty great. There was an eBayer selling 90ml bottles for $46 (had like 80 or so of them) and I had eBay bucks to burn. Not disappointed at all.

Arghh..I thought I was doing well, but paid about $10 more for it.

Suspended

Jul 28, 2012

There is no "Pickle Accord." Some idiots been eating gherkins and trying out fragrances.

You will not regret this blind buy. It's a fantastic fragrance (but it wouldn't go with gherkins.)

4Ever

Aug 9, 2008
Ha, my Guilty Absolute Gift Set has just arrived - damn good indeed! Got great deal on 90ml EdP with full-sized Shower Gel 150ml and mini After Shave Balm, haven't seen them sold separately so far.

Suspended

Jul 28, 2012
Ha, my Guilty Absolute Gift Set has just arrived - damn good indeed! Got great deal on 90ml EdP with full-sized Shower Gel 150ml and mini After Shave Balm, haven't seen them sold separately so far.

I've seen that set for as low as £37.50, which is amazing value.

4Ever

Aug 9, 2008
Amazing value indeed (from Notino UK, but not available in all countries.) Also new in the line: Beard Oil, gonna get it very soon. :)

onethinline

Dec 1, 2011
Gave Absolute a full wear yesterday, and enjoyed it. The effect the whole time, for me, was "dark forest." It's closer to what the marketing materials for CdG's Wonderwood promised (a mysterious woods, semi-sinister), but whereas Wonderwood, which I like a lot, is more of a sexy/cuddly forest, GG Absolute is genuinely dark, almost black, and primeval in effect. At the same time it's attractive.

Also worth saying I don't find this one particularly loud, which is good because the acrid tar elements would be annoying if the whole thing were too amplified. Also in this full wear I caught more whiffs of vetiver around the edges which sweetened the whole just a tad, keeping it interesting. Glad to have this stuff.

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
There is no "Pickle Accord." Some idiots been eating gherkins and trying out fragrances.

You will not regret this blind buy. It's a fantastic fragrance (but it wouldn't go with gherkins.)

Now now, you might find my assessment silly but there's no need for insults. Pickles or not, I'm certainly not the first to point out that something in the far drydown doesn't quite gel, and it's not because I'm a stranger to challenging fragrances. I'll give it another wear today.

Latest News