Gucci Guilty Absolute is Gorgeous. Why is there such a controversy?

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
Folks,

I have just received my Gucci Gulty absolute and it is gorgeous. Much better than I expected, since there is such a controversy over it here at Basenotes. I don't understand why people created all this controversy. GGA is a very safe perfume IMO, stays close to the skin. It has smoky leather and some kind of creamy wood-vetiver accord in it. It is delicious and could belong to any serious collection. I just hoped it would be "louder".

I highly recommend it.

What is your opinion on GGA? Do you agree that this controversy is bull?

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Best designer in a long time, I started this hobby in 2014-2015 I have smelled a lot of stuff along the way but this stands out in the designer realm along with Ralph Lauren Polo, Chanel Antaeus, Givenchy Gentleman, Azzaro Pour Homme just quality at its best.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
It's only controversial because it's the first designer (and Gucci for that matter) in probably 20 years not made based on market studies, consumer testing, demographic forecasting, aka "widest net/lowest risk" thinking. Like the grand old 80's, the creative director had a vision, and the perfumer was tasked with carrying it out, zero input from bean counters, eggheads, or volunteer tests. Naturually, this means there is a good chance some people won't like it (oh noooooo) and there is your controversy.

Last edited:

blackaroma

Apr 16, 2020
Well look at the usual market Gucci have been targeting for the past decade, almost all other Guiltys are sweet, nice, fruity, natural-smelling, held back, all facets which GGA lacks. But to many who had given up on Gucci, GGA is actually a pleasant surprise. I like what they tried to do. Even though I've smelled better in its genre, I like their approach. I would love if Dior or Chanel tried to be adventurous again instead of another concentration for their blue hits...

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
I usually have a bad skin, but with this one, I get heavy projection, and still can smell it as a skin scent when I wake up 12hours after spraying...
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. It is heavy. But when I'm wearing it, I crave even more strength. Also, I wish it didn't go to a skin scent so quickly.

It just seems to me that the scent profile is such that it should last with moderate projection longer than it does.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

May 18, 2016
I'm curious about this one. How does it compare to, say, Tuscan Leather? How's the dry down? The dry down is where designer frags tend to lose me with few exceptions including vintage versions.

May 18, 2016
Meh I just blind-bought it from a discount site as it's been on my periphery for some time. I was going to wait to sample it but the lockdowns feel indefinite at the moment. If it's as dry and leathery as it sounds it should complement what's left of my soul well :).

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014
Well look at the usual market Gucci have been targeting for the past decade, almost all other Guiltys are sweet, nice, fruity, natural-smelling, held back, all facets which GGA lacks. But to many who had given up on Gucci, GGA is actually a pleasant surprise. I like what they tried to do. Even though I've smelled better in its genre, I like their approach. I would love if Dior or Chanel tried to be adventurous again instead of another concentration for their blue hits...

Yeah agree it would be interesting to see what perfumers for Dior and Chanel would do with the same brief, though in the case of Dior I think we already have the answer: the mighty Fahrenheit.

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014
I'm curious about this one. How does it compare to, say, Tuscan Leather? How's the dry down? The dry down is where designer frags tend to lose me with few exceptions including vintage versions.

The drydown can get quite, ahm, dry and woody and that’s the part where I think it gets lazy and lacks finesse, especially in consecutive wearings when the nose becomes blind to the finer details and the sawdust notes become dominating. It’s the mid where it shines as a balanced intense leather.

May 18, 2016
The drydown can get quite, ahm, dry and woody and that’s the part where I think it gets lazy and lacks finesse, especially in consecutive wearings when the nose becomes blind to the finer details and the sawdust notes become dominating. It’s the mid where it shines as a balanced intense leather.

Good to know. These days I'll take dry and woody over the weird plastic vanilla ambroxan OD in so many dry downs.

blackaroma

Apr 16, 2020

TL and GGA are on two opposite sides of the leather group, one is sweet fruity sticky and heavy, while GGA is all about dry vetiver and synthetic woods, also masculine patchouli and medicinal leather (more reminiscent of band-aids than genuine leather) also the alcohol has a petrol scent. It's nowhere as loud or long lasting as TL. It has a Jovoy DNA, but of course not of the same quality.

Yeah agree it would be interesting to see what perfumers for Dior and Chanel would do with the same brief, though in the case of Dior I think we already have the answer: the mighty Fahrenheit.

That was 30 years ago!

Profcool

Jun 14, 2015
I remember sampling it when it first came out and quite liked it but my wife and others told me I smelt like the inside of a hospital so I decided against a purchase.May revisit it again sometime. I seem to remember it was fairly strong.

MrAmsterdam

Apr 10, 2020
It smells similar to a mechanic's garage. Easy to see how it wouldn't float a lot of people's boats since most are used to a certain range of smells from fragrances.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
It would be fun to look up some of the conversations when this stuff first came out. It was 50/50 people saying this stuff smelled gross, like band aids and other people not knowing what to think of it but not being able to ignore it.
I came to basenotes to read reviews because I sampled it several times and was drawn to it but also wasn't sure what was so intriguing about it. So I came here to see if others were experiencing the same thing.

masonjarjar

Dec 27, 2007
I would think fans of the Lalique Encre Noire series would dig this as well. Has that similar dark vetiver vibe.. I know the first time I smelled L'Extreme my first thought was.. ah! in the same camp as GGA..

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
I remember sampling it when it first came out and quite liked it but my wife and others told me I smelt like the inside of a hospital so I decided against a purchase.May revisit it again sometime. I seem to remember it was fairly strong.

This is a perfect example of a scent for me. I've always gotten negative reaction from family members on this. Negative is probably too strong. It's more of a "what is that?!?"

I heard a story once that Alberto Morillas was asked what he was wearing because it smelled good to the person asking. He said it was GGA, to the surprise of the person asking. Can't speak to the veracity of the story, it might have been from a youtube video.

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014
This is a perfect example of a scent for me. I've always gotten negative reaction from family members on this. Negative is probably too strong. It's more of a "what is that?!?"

I heard a story once that Alberto Morillas was asked what he was wearing because it smelled good to the person asking. He said it was GGA, to the surprise of the person asking. Can't speak to the veracity of the story, it might have been from a youtube video.
I think that was from a Redolessence video.

My wife's nickname for GGA is "old shoe". She'll smell me wearing it and ask "you wearing 'old shoe'?" The funny thing is that she likes the fragrance.

I like to ask her if she knows what I'm wearing (and she's nice enough to humor me), and sometimes she'll guess 'old shoe' when it's Fahrenheit. That's usually after I've had Fahrenheit on for a couple hours.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

Tuscan Leather is a much more authentic leather. Smells more expensive to me. GGA is more synthetic smelling, like faux leather seats in a diner, and it has that "bandaid" note that gets discussed. Not bad at all, though.

Latest News