Green, clean(ish), sort-of-mean, dry and not overly sweet, work-appropriate masculine fragrance suggestions.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Thanks everyone, lots to consider here.

I'll sample as and when I can, starting with those that look most promising. As I said earlier, I reckon lots of vintage fougere sampling will be a good grounding.

To make matters slightly more frustrating, I think I might try to split this scent up - maybe two work scents, one for temperate weather, and one for cooler weather than could also be worn in the evenings. So, something quite clean, sparse, lavender-centric, that maybe goes soapy or 'clear' as per modern fragrances (I'm expecting Paris-Edinburgh to be this type of scent), which would cover the fougere aspect of greenery; for the mosses, I might just go all out and try to find something a bit more vintage and leathery or dank, something like Curzon by Trumper, which I enjoyed when I sampled it but never really considered wearing it. Trying to find two fragrances in one has been my failing in the past, so I'm open to 'splitting' this up, so to speak. Also, based on what I've tried so far, I've sampled a number of fairly standard, samey green fougeres that are all 'fine' but all just come across a tad...insipid. This isn't my favourite genre or category of perfume, so maybe that's why I'm struggling, but there we go. Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to suggest something.

Jul 11, 2017
If the idea of an EDP upgrade of Faberge’s Brut sounds attractive in principle, then Shaman by MiN might work for you. Someone above has mentioned Dior Granville; it’s fantastic if money is no object (think of a very dry and greener Versace L’Homme).

I think Worth Pour Homme is the outstanding green fragrance at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Rabidsenses

May 10, 2019
Bottega Veneta Pour Homme

To begin, I’m a big fan of BdJ also and easily consider it my favourite acquisition of 2021. And I understand the turn towards sweetness you speak of, what with a modern fougère dabbling with amber as well as one of the lavender ingredients becoming sweet somewhere in the middle.

BVPH is pine, fir, patchouli, juniper, clary sage with the obligatory bergamot to kick things off. Yes, there is leather and I think you highlighted this note somewhere in this thread as a concern but I find this fragrance so well blended that it just plays well with the green woods without ever feeling dominant to my nose.

It’s altogether inherently masculine, highly wearable without being too dry or bracing, and, no, there’s no sweetness here to speak of. It feels classic yet ever so modern, and I think that as much as we like to tag fragrances with that idea that this one really achieves this. Some might even call it a designer playing in niche territory. This one wants to be worn with smart casual threads as much as dressed up. But I’ve enjoyed it on a Saturday jeans and t-shirt day too without reserve.

While I, myself, prefer the EdT you also have the EdP and Extreme version to choose from. Each are entirely worth testing. But, again, the magic for me still remains in the first release. For this one performance is nothing to write home about but - outside of Summer neroli-led fragrances - it also represents the first one I think of where a quick one spray midday re-application is justified. Were you to test each of the three from the line then, slight scent differentiations aside, you’ll likely find an extra 1-2 hours with the other two.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Homesteaders Cologne Water by DS & Durga
Limited edition? I can't seem to find it on sale anywhere online.
If the idea of an EDP upgrade of Faberge’s Brut sounds attractive in principle, then Shaman by MiN might work for you. Someone above has mentioned Dior Granville; it’s fantastic if money is no object (think of a very dry and greener Versace L’Homme).

I think Worth Pour Homme is the outstanding green fragrance at the cheaper end of the spectrum.
The MiN is more than I'd want to spend, eventhough how you describe it sounds great. Likewise, the Dior being discontinued prices it out of my comfort zone tbh. Worth - aptly named - seems worthy of a sample. Thanks.
Bottega Veneta Pour Homme

To begin, I’m a big fan of BdJ also and easily consider it my favourite acquisition of 2021. And I understand the turn towards sweetness you speak of, what with a modern fougère dabbling with amber as well as one of the lavender ingredients becoming sweet somewhere in the middle.

BVPH is pine, fir, patchouli, juniper, clary sage with the obligatory bergamot to kick things off. Yes, there is leather and I think you highlighted this note somewhere in this thread as a concern but I find this fragrance so well blended that it just plays well with the green woods without ever feeling dominant to my nose.

It’s altogether inherently masculine, highly wearable without being too dry or bracing, and, no, there’s no sweetness here to speak of. It feels classic yet ever so modern, and I think that as much as we like to tag fragrances with that idea that this one really achieves this. Some might even call it a designer playing in niche territory. This one wants to be worn with smart casual threads as much as dressed up. But I’ve enjoyed it on a Saturday jeans and t-shirt day too without reserve.

While I, myself, prefer the EdT you also have the EdP and Extreme version to choose from. Each are entirely worth testing. But, again, the magic for me still remains in the first release. For this one performance is nothing to write home about but - outside of Summer neroli-led fragrances - it also represents the first one I think of where a quick one spray midday re-application is justified. Were you to test each of the three from the line then, slight scent differentiations aside, you’ll likely find an extra 1-2 hours with the other two.
Yeah, good suggestion. I tried all of these during lockdown and found them to be decent but a tad uninspiring. I will revist samples but I wasn't grabbed by any of them first time around: perhaps the cooler weather will give me a greater appreciation. I thought the performance was a bit disappointing but in hindsight that might not be a bad thing.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I'd love some lavender-centric suggestions as well - despite what the title says. It seems there aren't many fragrances that aren't short-lived colognes that try to solely focus on lavender, as far as I can tell.

I've been enjoying some vintage fragrances and feel I may have stumbled, quite accidentally, on something that is basically ideal. It's somewhat green but also spicy and dries to a dry sandalwood, which is what I have always struggled to find. But I will keep sampling. I know the danger of thinking something is great when it's only the novelty of trying it that is driving the positive assessment.

Nares Hughes

Dec 28, 2018
I'd love some lavender-centric suggestions as well - despite what the title says. It seems there aren't many fragrances that aren't short-lived colognes that try to solely focus on lavender, as far as I can tell.

I've been enjoying some vintage fragrances and feel I may have stumbled, quite accidentally, on something that is basically ideal. It's somewhat green but also spicy and dries to a dry sandalwood, which is what I have always struggled to find. But I will keep sampling. I know the danger of thinking something is great when it's only the novelty of trying it that is driving the positive assessment.
Lavender: L'Occitane Homme or Nicolai Patchouli Intense
Vintage: Lanvin for Men

tinfoilhatdude

Jan 20, 2019
Lavender: L'Occitane Homme or Nicolai Patchouli Intense
Vintage: Lanvin for Men

Interesting, I thought Lanvin for Men(vintage) was completely green and bracing, I didn't get much lavender.

Likewise with the Nicolai:. I got no lavender, but instead a thick & heavy "Nicolai-ade" that was very much in the French style.

For lavender-centered, I'd try:

Canoe by Dana
Caron Pour Un Homme
And to a lesser extent, Givenchy Zyreus (vintage)

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Hope you’ve sampled Quercia. I quite like it, though I don’t consider it a fougere like BdJ. My wife curses it, however. I found she doesn’t mind Malle’s Geranium pour Monsieur and bought it this past summer.
I have, yes. It's definitely not something I'd want to wear but it's not as bad as I remember it being. It's interesting, a very particular fragrance, something of a throwback in that it's sharp and green, like 80s fougeres, yet doesn't necessarily smell exactly like them. There's also a fair amount of sweetness in the base which I missed last time. It was worth trying just to check it off. It fits the description, so thanks for the suggestion, but subjective taste means a suggestion can be spot on and still be unsatisfying. Such is the perils of suggesting and seeking suggestions online! Thanks again though. The Malle is hard to sample as samples are ridiculous prices and I recently broke my no-blind-buying rule only to be disappointed, which I won't be repeating. But I will keep an eye out on it, I've liked what I've tried by Malle so far (Monsieur, Dries) but found they're very vanillic, even in ostensibly dark and masculine scents.

Nares Hughes

Dec 28, 2018
Interesting, I thought Lanvin for Men(vintage) was completely green and bracing, I didn't get much lavender.

Likewise with the Nicolai:. I got no lavender, but instead a thick & heavy "Nicolai-ade" that was very much in the French style.

For lavender-centered, I'd try:

Canoe by Dana
Caron Pour Un Homme
And to a lesser extent, Givenchy Zyreus (vintage)
No, no, I meant Lanvin as a vintage clean green, in response to the OP's foray into vintage.
And Patchouli Intense is straight-up lavender on me. Vive le difference, eh?

tinfoilhatdude

Jan 20, 2019
No, no, I meant Lanvin as a vintage clean green, in response to the OP's foray into vintage.
And Patchouli Intense is straight-up lavender on me. Vive le difference, eh?

Ohhhhh, gotcha! Yes, Lanvin was definitely green & clean!! A very bracing clean on my skin, but it may be tamer on someone else's and in a different climate.

As for the Nicolai, it could very well be the climate I live in and my skin chemistry that keep this one from being green or clean. I feel more of a "brown" or "ambery" color from this one, very thick and rich. But neither green or clean. YMMV? 😉

HMan

Mar 14, 2020
Ohhhhh, gotcha! Yes, Lanvin was definitely green & clean!! A very bracing clean on my skin, but it may be tamer on someone else's and in a different climate.

As for the Nicolai, it could very well be the climate I live in and my skin chemistry that keep this one from being green or clean. I feel more of a "brown" or "ambery" color from this one, very thick and rich. But neither green or clean. YMMV? 😉

I love PI but it has the same character for me. I don’t think green at all when I wear it.

HdP Noir Patchouli is green to me, but I’m sure not the kind of green you’re looking for.

Jan 20, 2019
Limited edition? I can't seem to find it on sale anywhere online.

The MiN is more than I'd want to spend, eventhough how you describe it sounds great. Likewise, the Dior being discontinued prices it out of my comfort zone tbh. Worth - aptly named - seems worthy of a sample. Thanks.

Yeah, good suggestion. I tried all of these during lockdown and found them to be decent but a tad uninspiring. I will revist samples but I wasn't grabbed by any of them first time around: perhaps the cooler weather will give me a greater appreciation. I thought the performance was a bit disappointing but in hindsight that might not be a bad thing.
Yes...it was a limited edition and is very hard to find. I sometimes forget these little details when i start typing.

Sandy

Jan 15, 2005
My recent discovery is Sandalia Coros. A really interesting take on the things you're after. I whole-heartedly recommend it to try.
Although there's no review as yet in the directory, the description over there is rather accurate - and poetic.

Profcool

Jun 14, 2015
I came here to recommend Bottega Veneta Pour Homme but have been beaten to it! I can only second this as a suggestion - I think it ticks all the boxes even down to the less mainstream designer tag. Only downsides are that performance is so so and I find it more appropriate for Autumn - not sure it is an all year round scent.

A similar frag that might be worth exploring is Forest by Rook perfumes. I sampled it years ago and it is also a foresty dark green scent. Not sure if its still sold though.

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
I came here to recommend Bottega Veneta Pour Homme but have been beaten to it! I can only second this as a suggestion - I think it ticks all the boxes even down to the less mainstream designer tag. Only downsides are that performance is so so and I find it more appropriate for Autumn - not sure it is an all year round scent.

A similar frag that might be worth exploring is Forest by Rook perfumes. I sampled it years ago and it is also a foresty dark green scent. Not sure if its still sold though.
I have been sampling this one the past week. I agree that it ticks all the boxes for the OP. Honestly, had I come across it a few months back, it would have saved me loads of time and money, as it easily slots in as a borderline signature scent for me. Great stuff.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I haven't really enjoyed anything I've sampled so far, sadly. Green notes are definitely tricky for me, there's a fair amount of pine-scented floor cleaner type aromas that are probably my least favourite type of fragrance still out there. I think the best thing to do is to split this request in to two: one that is mossy and/or dense, with no real parameters other than the fact it smells good; and then something fresher, perhaps cologne-like, that's herbal. Trying to find them in one scent is proving tricky as modern scents simply don't dry down to what I am hoping for in terms of mosses or woods, and older fragrances can smell a bit harsh or rough.

Sandy

Jan 15, 2005
I haven't really enjoyed anything I've sampled so far, sadly. Green notes are definitely tricky for me, there's a fair amount of pine-scented floor cleaner type aromas that are probably my least favourite type of fragrance still out there. I think the best thing to do is to split this request in to two: one that is mossy and/or dense, with no real parameters other than the fact it smells good; and then something fresher, perhaps cologne-like, that's herbal. Trying to find them in one scent is proving tricky as modern scents simply don't dry down to what I am hoping for in terms of mosses or woods, and older fragrances can smell a bit harsh or rough.
What I recommended has no pine whatsoever, let alone floor-cleaner vibe.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Also, I
What I recommended has no pine whatsoever, let alone floor-cleaner vibe.
Thanks sandy, but it's significantly more than I want to spend on this type of fragrance. I would begrudgingly go up to around £120 for 100ml, with £1 per ml my typical cut off point; ideally, I want to be spending around £60-80 for a 100ml bottle. A niche fragrance costing £180ish doens't really catch my eye as something I want to try, particularly as it has a lot of notes (fig, 'sea' notes, vanilla) that I'm not really seeking for this type of scent (I did mention Athenean in the title post, I know, but I have since tried it and realise that fig is definitely inappropriate for this type of fragrance: I want something closer to the traditional fougere or chypre). Your suggestion looks more like a solid everyday casual fragrance, something with elements of the green fougere added to elements of the 90s aquatic. I definitely don't want the latter in this type of scent, I already have that covered with Oud Minerale.

This type of 'green' isn't a genre I particularly love anyway, so I just want something that's without flaws, rather than something aiming for the exceptional. I think I found a good example of this with Guerlain's Fleurs de Cedrat which, although pitiful in its performance, is much less expensive than many other niche citrus scents. I want better performance for this - as I say I'm hoping for a dry, longlasting, masculine drydown that will still smell good and won't feel cloying in the afternoon - but I'm searching for the same sort of thing really. Other people might find what I like boring, or safe, or whatever: but I'd rather that than the alternative. Thank you for your suggestion though, it is appreciated, and it does feel rude to simply dismiss the time and effort taken to suggest something. Unless I can easily sample it, however, I have to be honest and say I'm not sure it's worth seeking out. Thanks again though.

kigyo

Oct 8, 2021
I really like the new Acqua di Pino Cologne, By PS. (Not the Fougere thought, which is also new and sounded good at first.) However, this might fit you search.
71p1954508_1.jpg

Latest News