Goodfellow, Cremo, Duke Cannon, Every Man Jack...how are they?

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
Finally came across a few bottles in Target

View attachment 190786

Yes, it does strongly resemble TF OL. Still need to give it a full wear, but so far performance seems to be average. Projection was very good 1st hour, I have worn it for 4 hours now and it has mellowed out quite a bit, though I'm still catching whiffs every now and then. Nothing too synthetic or obviously cheap.
I’ve yet to try the edt, but the body wash definitely gives me Ombré Leather vibes. Good stuff.

RedMint

Basenotes Member
Feb 5, 2022
Cremo's Spice and Black Vanilla is my favorite cheapie. It's a daily, a blind-reach, and a signature. It layers well with almost everything. It's so inexpensive I can go big if I want to without worrying about waste. I finally got a hold of a friend's Spicebomb Extreme, and found I preferred Cremo. I've probably sampled 100 fragrances in the last six months alone, and Spice and Black Vanilla is a more pleasant smell to me than the vast majority of the samples - most of which run well over $100 (many over $200) for a full bottle. Cremo is $20. I've seen it for $15.

I also own Cremo's Blue Cedar and Cypress, it's absolutely solid, versatile, too - again, it's a great one to layer with others for a bit more 'oomph' - but I prefer Spice and Black Vanilla.

You're not going to get the projection or longevity of a more expensive cologne, but while it lasts (a good 4-6 hours on me), it has a great sillage, doesn't smell like a cheapie, and I've received plenty of compliments wearing it. It's not particularly nuanced or unique, but its few notes (cardamom, cashmere wood, vanilla and a touch of vetiver) are all present and don't smell overly synthetic.

And yeah, I just saw that Cremo had released Vintage Suede, a brand new one from the company, I'll have to get my hands on that.

I also use their Bourbon Vanilla body wash, it's a great base for Spice and Black Vanilla and actually has its own notes that change over a drydown. Their sandalwood shave cream is also legit.

I think Cremo is firing on all cylinders with their fragrance line so far (at least the ones I've tried).

Unfortunately can't comment on your other listed brands, but definitely a Cremo fanboy.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Ok, finally picked up a bottle of the Vintage Suede body wash and WOAH! This really, really smells like Ombre/Tuscan Leather - I think it might actually lean toward TL because it has that same kind of brash fruity-leather note. I'm traveling right now and the closest thing I have to compare with me is La Yuqawam, and it smells really, really close.

I'm seriously impressed by this one. Didn't see the EdT to smell, but I'd imagine it's similar. This is way better than the previous Palo Santo "reserve collection" release, which smelled really screechy and synthetic to me. Definitely a winner. I'll be buying backups assuming it's limited edition.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
I am wearing Vintage Suede EDT for a 2nd day and my thoughts are - a mix of TL and OL. However, TL is mostly in the opening phase, in fact when I first sprayed Vintage Suede yesterday my initial thought was "oh no, here we go again, another TL clone", but that trademark fruitiness dies off after about 30-40 minutes, in the dry down it's more OL-leaning, IMO of course. Someone asked if there are gasoline notes, and when I smell my skin in later dry down I am getting hints of a petrol-like note, bit it is not prominent.
Definitely worth $23, especially these days.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Speaking of... yesterday in Target among all the Cremos, Goodfellows and Duke Cannons I saw a bottle of Manscaped Refined, which totally looked like Encre Noir. 50 ml for $50 which was a pass for me, but I tried it anyway and while not for me (been there done that, especially at that price) for folks looking for a traditional barbershop citric cologne this may be worth testing. Longevity was pretty decent.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Ok, finally picked up a bottle of the Vintage Suede body wash and WOAH! This really, really smells like Ombre/Tuscan Leather - I think it might actually lean toward TL because it has that same kind of brash fruity-leather note. I'm traveling right now and the closest thing I have to compare with me is La Yuqawam, and it smells really, really close.

I'm seriously impressed by this one. Didn't see the EdT to smell, but I'd imagine it's similar. This is way better than the previous Palo Santo "reserve collection" release, which smelled really screechy and synthetic to me. Definitely a winner. I'll be buying backups assuming it's limited edition.

Yeah I get the fruity-leathery opening too. Cremo already had a reputed Tuscan Leather clone, "Leather & Oud". That one really leaned into the smoky leatheriness. The leather in Vintage Suede is similar to Leather & Oud but less smoky and more amber-y. So based on that I guessed it was an OL clone because I've heard that's the same sort of similarity OL has to TL. VS's note breakdown also has a lot of overlap with OL.

I doubt it's limited edition. Cremo has only really discontinued one fragrance so far (Leather & Oud, actually). It is part of their slightly more premium "Reserve Collection" branding, but so was last year's release "Palo Santo", and it's still on shelves. You never really know when a company like Cremo might discontinue stuff, but I'd bet they plan on selling it for a while

And agreed on liking VS much better than PS.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Yeah I get the fruity-leathery opening too. Cremo already had a reputed Tuscan Leather clone, "Leather & Oud". That one really leaned into the smoky leatheriness. The leather in Vintage Suede is similar to Leather & Oud but less smoky and more amber-y. So based on that I guessed it was an OL clone because I've heard that's the same sort of similarity OL has to TL. VS's note breakdown also has a lot of overlap with OL.

I doubt it's limited edition. Cremo has only really discontinued one fragrance so far (Leather & Oud, actually). It is part of their slightly more premium "Reserve Collection" branding, but so was last year's release "Palo Santo", and it's still on shelves. You never really know when a company like Cremo might discontinue stuff, but I'd bet they plan on selling it for a while

And agreed on liking VS much better than PS.
Ahhh ok, I hadn’t seen the Palo Santo in a while so thought this was a replacement. That’s good news!

I just tried this in the shower and agree with others that the TL resemblance is mostly in the opening. As the scent fades (it really filled up the bathroom) it is less similar, more of the “white moss” in the mix. Reminds me a bit of Mancera Wild Leather.

Anyway I’m pretty obsessed with this style of leather note, so finding a widely available retail body wash for under ten bucks with a genuinely enjoyable modern-style leather note is a win for me.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
I spotted the body wash for Vintage Suede at my local Target, didn't see the EDT though. And all the Palo Santo products were still on shelves, so again, I don't think Cremo intends to flat out replace Palo Santo with Vintage Suede. They'll probably keep making it as long as it keeps selling.

I think it's worth mentioning that the beard oil for Vintage Suede isn't as good as the EDT or the body wash. I like to collect Cremo's beard oils and I quite enjoy a few of them, like the oils for Distiller's Blend, Bourbon Vanilla, and Cedar Forest. But not only is the Vintage Suede beard oil's fragrance notably weaker than those other oils, the fragrance doesn't really pull off the same amber-y leather vibe. I get this weird fragrance that kind of reminds me of lettuce and sweet tea. It's not entirely unpleasant, but it's not up to par with the EDT or body wash at all. Even if you like those two Vintage Suede products I wouldn't really recommend getting the beard oil to complete the set. (If you are still interested and you see it on a store shelf, the bottle isn't sealed due to the dropper. So nothing's stopping you from opening it up and sneaking a whiff before buying).

d r e

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 24, 2018
I finally tried Cremo Spice Black Vanilla and IMO it's a clone of the Original Spicebomb, not the Extreme. A very good one though, I actually thought I accidentally sprayed Spicebomb.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Some enterprising folks are already trying to sell Vintage Suede bottles on ebay for upwards of $90 bucks.

Not sure why anyone would go for that when it's still in stock on Cremo's website. Cremo doesn't ship outside the US, so I can see people being interested in paying more than retail, but $90? Nah man, there are better frags to spend that much money on.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Not sure why anyone would go for that when it's still in stock on Cremo's website. Cremo doesn't ship outside the US, so I can see people being interested in paying more than retail, but $90? Nah man, there are better frags to spend that much money on.

Yeah that’s pretty crazy. I’ve had a hard time tracking down the EdT but if you really wanted that kind of clone frag, just get La Yuqawam.

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
Some enterprising folks are already trying to sell Vintage Suede bottles on ebay for upwards of $90 bucks.
200w.gif

clintotron

Basenotes Member
Mar 27, 2022
Duke Cannon's OLD GLORY didn't get a mention here, but it's my FAVORITE DC scent. I won't begin to try to describe it as I'm extremely novice, but I really enjoy the smell. The body wash is widely available and smells exactly like the solid cologne. The cologne doesn't last terribly long, but I don't really mind reapplying every hour or so.
Also, DC has released a bay rum scent. I'm VERY on the fence about it, especially being labeled as a bay rum. To me, there are strong notes of banana shrub blooms. It is definitely growing on me, as I do use the body wash, but have not yet touched the solid cologne.
As far as Cremo goes, I much prefer the scent of their Distiller's Blend in the beard oil (I'm not currently wearing facial hair due to my work) but the 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner and body wash are fairly close. The EdT is VERY different, IMO, and reminds me of something my wife wears.
I'm not a fan of Palo Santo, nor anything I've tried of EMJ. Apply this information when you're considering my input. lol

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Duke Cannon's OLD GLORY didn't get a mention here, but it's my FAVORITE DC scent. I won't begin to try to describe it as I'm extremely novice, but I really enjoy the smell. The body wash is widely available and smells exactly like the solid cologne. The cologne doesn't last terribly long, but I don't really mind reapplying every hour or so.
Also, DC has released a bay rum scent. I'm VERY on the fence about it, especially being labeled as a bay rum. To me, there are strong notes of banana shrub blooms. It is definitely growing on me, as I do use the body wash, but have not yet touched the solid cologne.
As far as Cremo goes, I much prefer the scent of their Distiller's Blend in the beard oil (I'm not currently wearing facial hair due to my work) but the 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner and body wash are fairly close. The EdT is VERY different, IMO, and reminds me of something my wife wears.
I'm not a fan of Palo Santo, nor anything I've tried of EMJ. Apply this information when you're considering my input. lol

I agree that the EDT of Cremo Distiller's Blend smells significantly different than the beard and body products. It's a little greener with the vetiver and citrus and doesn't have as sweet of a "bourbon" note. Still nice though in my opinion.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
I came across a Cremo sale note in another forum, so I am sharing it here for anyone who's interested:

Nationwide Campus has select 3.4oz. Cremo Eau De Toilette Cologne (various scents) on sale for $12.99 with free shipping.
3.4oz. Cremo Eau De Toilette Cologne (Citrus & Mint Leaf) $12.99
3.4oz. Cremo Eau De Toilette Cologne (Reserve Collection Distillers Blend) $12.99
3.4oz. Cremo Eau De Toilette Cologne (Silver Water & Birch) $12.99
3.4oz. Cremo Eau De Toilette Cologne (Bourbon & Oak) $12.99

Personal note: I never bought anything from Nationwide Campus, but based on the comments they appear to be a legit company and seller.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2009
LOL, I can't imagine who'd confuse a Cremo box with a Creed box, unless one is seriously high. All while shopping at a Target, no less.
But you might be on to something - both utilise rectangular packaging and start with Cre**.
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 10.59.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 10.57.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 10.50.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 10.25.20 AM.png
Hmmm. . . I'd say they're trying to ape Creed packaging. . . but I agree, no one should be fooled by that. Especially not in Target. That's why I think it's funny.

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
I purchased Cremo’s Vintage Suede and am wearing it today on one arm, with Ombré Leather edp on the other.

Vintage Suede smells to me what Ombré Leather would smell like as an edt. There’s a touch more “fruitiness” in the opening, and it’s less rich/dense overall. It jumps off the skin a bit more (but neither projects a ton for me). The Cremo doesn’t smell as luxurious, but I wouldn’t say it smells cheap. At nearly 1/10th the cost of Ombré Leather, Vintage Suede is a very solid fragrance, at least in the first hour of wear.

I also sprayed each on test strips, and the difference there is a bit more pronounced. On paper, the Cremo is more soapy; it has that Cremo “DNA”, so to speak.

I will update if anything else jumps out at me, but overall I’m very pleased with my purchase. Diehard Ombré Leather fans will be able to notice the difference between the two, but for someone on a budget or who doesn’t have access to try Ombré Leather, Vintage Suede would be a great alternative.

———
Quick update at around the 7 hour mark: Ombré Leather is much less detectable, but Vintage Suede is still noticeable. Perhaps I got more juice with the full bottle sprayer vs the sample sprayer of Ombré Leather. Regardless, Vintage Suede is no slouch in the performance department, at least when compared to the Tom Ford. Neither is particularly tenacious on my skin.

As far as the smell is concerned, I think most would be hard-pressed to pick which was which in a blind test on skin once the top notes faded. Ombré Leather leans a bit more into a drier leather in the drydown, whereas Vintage Suede retains a slight fruity/ambery feel from the top.

On paper Vintage Suede is likewise brighter, and the differences are more noticeable, but I actually prefer how it projects off skin a bit more. I think the differences between the two are mostly the result of concentration: as an edt, Vintage Suede has more lift, and as an edp, Ombré Leather has more depth. Vintage Suede is really solid stuff.

Last edited:

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Picked up blind Bourbon and Oak and Distiller's Blend for $12.99 a pop at Marshalls.
I am very underwhelmed by Distiller's Blend and I liked Bourbon & Oak more than I thought I would. Neither will be a repeat buy.

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
I have one of each color from Duke Cannon: Sawtooth, Gunnison, Seneca, and Fulton. They are EdPs with average performance, simple scents that don't break the bank.

Cremo's Reserve Collection I have Distiller's Blend and Palo Santo. I like both but Palo Santo I find very, very good. I need to get my hands on Vintage Suede now.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I purchased Cremo’s Vintage Suede and am wearing it today on one arm, with Ombré Leather edp on the other.

Vintage Suede smells to me what Ombré Leather would smell like as an edt. There’s a touch more “fruitiness” in the opening, and it’s less rich/dense overall. It jumps off the skin a bit more (but neither projects a ton for me). The Cremo doesn’t smell as luxurious, but I wouldn’t say it smells cheap. At nearly 1/10th the cost of Ombré Leather, Vintage Suede is a very solid fragrance, at least in the first hour of wear.

I also sprayed each on test strips, and the difference there is a bit more pronounced. On paper, the Cremo is more soapy; it has that Cremo “DNA”, so to speak.

I will update if anything else jumps out at me, but overall I’m very pleased with my purchase. Diehard Ombré Leather fans will be able to notice the difference between the two, but for someone on a budget or who doesn’t have access to try Ombré Leather, Vintage Suede would be a great alternative.

———
Quick update at around the 7 hour mark: Ombré Leather is much less detectable, but Vintage Suede is still noticeable. Perhaps I got more juice with the full bottle sprayer vs the sample sprayer of Ombré Leather. Regardless, Vintage Suede is no slouch in the performance department, at least when compared to the Tom Ford. Neither is particularly tenacious on my skin.

As far as the smell is concerned, I think most would be hard-pressed to pick which was which in a blind test on skin once the top notes faded. Ombré Leather leans a bit more into a drier leather in the drydown, whereas Vintage Suede retains a slight fruity/ambery feel from the top.

On paper Vintage Suede is likewise brighter, and the differences are more noticeable, but I actually prefer how it projects off skin a bit more. I think the differences between the two are mostly the result of concentration: as an edt, Vintage Suede has more lift, and as an edp, Ombré Leather has more depth. Vintage Suede is really solid stuff.
Yeah, I snagged a bottle out of curiosity and think Vintage Suede does well. It's not as dark as Ombré Leather (meaning it feels a bit like a "daytime" version of it), but it's well-rounded.

clintotron

Basenotes Member
Mar 27, 2022
Picked up blind Bourbon and Oak and Distiller's Blend for $12.99 a pop at Marshalls.
I am very underwhelmed by Distiller's Blend and I liked Bourbon & Oak more than I thought I would. Neither will be a repeat buy.
The beard oil in Distiller's Blend is a little different than the body wash & 2-in-1. I REALLY liked it, but since I can't have facial hair at work, I've had to go without. The DB bw & 2/1 are different enough that I'd recommend giving it a sniff at the store (Target), but similar enough that I bought them all and use the bw & 2/1 several times a week. I also use the Duke Cannon Bay Rum (it's REALLY grown on me) and the Vintage Suede (gonna hit it hard tonight and see how it affects the wife :) ).

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
The beard oil in Distiller's Blend is a little different than the body wash & 2-in-1. I REALLY liked it, but since I can't have facial hair at work, I've had to go without. The DB bw & 2/1 are different enough that I'd recommend giving it a sniff at the store (Target), but similar enough that I bought them all and use the bw & 2/1 several times a week.
Yes, Distiller's Blend EDT is quite different from the bodywash. The EDT is missing something, some kick or note, making it a bit flat and dull IMO. I remember smelling the bodywash, it definitely was true to its name and I even commented that if the EDT smelled the same then I doubt I could wear it to the office. But the EDT doesn't have it. It's kinds woody-vetiverish, some folks compared it to TdH, to me it's not literal, but more like a faint TdH base, well into its dry down phase. Any way, it's decent enough, just not exciting or interesting at all.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
I haven't seen the Vintage Suede EDT in stores but I did find and picked up the body wash at Target. Excellent stuff and smells very similar to TF OL.
I am not sure what Target is doing, but I noticed that multiple stores in my area are not displaying Vintage Suede even though their website lists it in stock. I was in one store that listed about a dozen in stock and none on the shelf. So I had to show the Target webpage to the clerk and she said "oh! they're in the back, we do have them. how many do you need?". So she went to the storage area, brought me a bottle and that was it. She didn't even bring out the rest to put them on the shelves, just that one bottle I asked for.

So if you are looking to pick-up a bottle in-store, rather than having it shipped to you, I suggest you just reserve it online with same day pickup at your store before you head out to it and then you don't have to search for it. Provided your store has it in stock, of course.

clintotron

Basenotes Member
Mar 27, 2022
Yes, Distiller's Blend EDT is quite different from the bodywash. The EDT is missing something, some kick or note, making it a bit flat and dull IMO. I remember smelling the bodywash, it definitely was true to its name and I even commented that if the EDT smelled the same then I doubt I could wear it to the office. But the EDT doesn't have it. It's kinds woody-vetiverish, some folks compared it to TdH, to me it's not literal, but more like a faint TdH base, well into its dry down phase. Any way, it's decent enough, just not exciting or interesting at all.
I specifically mentioned the beard oil as it's nothing like the EDT and somewhat different than the other offerings in the same scent line. The beard oil does burn my nose a bit more than the bw & 2/1 but that note doesn't last as long and I really enjoyed the smell on my beard (when I was allowed to wear one).

clintotron

Basenotes Member
Mar 27, 2022
I picked up Vintage Suede cologne today at Target. Smells so similar to Ombre Leather, it's hard to fathom how a 25 dollar bottle can match that.....easily Cremo's best so far and it's not even close.
My Target has been out of stock for a while, but I went by for some other things and decided to take a peek. There were three bottles on the shelf and it took nothing short of Thor smoking me with Mjolnir to not buy all three. I'd say the only thing more powerful than that hammer's impact is my wife's "perpetuated disapproval of extraordinary purchases". Yeah, we'll word it that way...

Danny Mitchell

Basenotes Institution
Mar 21, 2019
My Target has been out of stock for a while, but I went by for some other things and decided to take a peek. There were three bottles on the shelf and it took nothing short of Thor smoking me with Mjolnir to not buy all three. I'd say the only thing more powerful than that hammer's impact is my wife's "perpetuated disapproval of extraordinary purchases". Yeah, we'll word it that way...
I picked up another bottle last week. I'll probably put it up in the sale thread at some point. Haven't' decided yet. But it is starting to look like stock is increasing at Target with the Vintage Suede, so that's a good sign it will be around a while.

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
In the past two weeks I’ve found Cremo’s Silver Water & Birch and Bourbon & Oak at TJ Maxx for $13 each. After my experience with Vintage Suede I decided it was worth the blind buy. They’re both impressive for the price. Vintage Suede is still my favorite, but these two aren’t bad at all.

Silver Water & Birch is indeed reminiscent of Silver Mountain Water. I’m not familiar enough with the latter to make comparisons, but I doubt most on a limited budget or new to fragrances would be too concerned with the differences.

Bourbon & Oak reminds me a bit of Dolce & Gabbana’s The One, though I think the similarities are more in style than execution. I’m not that fond of boozy fragrances, so it’s just a ‘like’ for me, but one could do worse for $13.

I also decided to go out of my way to purchase Spice & Black Vanilla, which is also quite nice. Very similar to Spicebomb, as others have noted.

With the inflation and economic uncertainties the world is currently facing, it’s nice that a brand is making affordable quality fragrances fairly widely available (at least in the U.S.).

Brands like Every Man Jack I find serviceable but probably wouldn’t recommend their fragrances, and the up-market brands like Art of Shaving aren’t made for the blue collar crowd. While perhaps not very exciting for the Basenotes crowd, Cremo fragrances seem tailor-made for someone like my dad, a former farmer - someone interested in a quality (but not premium) product at an affordable price. Something you can pick up along side your laundry detergent and dog food and not have to worry about offending anyone at the supper club or at church on Sunday.

d r e

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 24, 2018
Goodfellow Juniper Sandalwood smells great, maybe my favorite from these brands. Moroccan Mint & Cedar is also really good in the body products but I'm not sure if they have in EdC form.

clintotron

Basenotes Member
Mar 27, 2022
Anybody have any recommendations of something in a spray that smells like Duke Cannon Old Glory? It’s one of my favorite scents and the solid cologne lasts about 7-10 minutes.

clintotron

Basenotes Member
Mar 27, 2022
Does anyone have a recommendation for a spray that smells similar to Duke Cannon’s Old Glory? I LOVE the scent but the solid cologne lasts MAYBE 10 minutes.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
View attachment 311501
Anyone come across these yet?

Yes, they have been available at Walmart for at least a couple of months now:

My short assessment: not worth seeking out.
It's a pretty steep climbdown after Palo Santo and Vintage Suede IMO.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...