Givenchy Xeryus, what are your thoughts on this one?

lunchbox148

Feb 19, 2014
What are your thoughts on Givenchy Xeryus? Is this fragrance versatile? How dose the reformulation stack up against the vintage?

Thanks!

DustB

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 5, 2003
I regret I only know the original. It was what you wore in the '80s to tell everyone you were an '80s man. That always made me feel like I was getting ahead of myself though.

Great scent. A weird floral element but the whole smells sort of like cold metal to me. A very austere and cold fragrance I think. Went with the '80s power suit.

ScottW

Feb 12, 2014
I only own it in vintage spray form. I did smell the reformulation but only briefly at the Givenchy boutique at Epcot. It reminded me of the original but I could tell it was a lighter scent, less dense on the green notes. I didn't care to give it a thorough wearing at the time, because the Guerlain boutique was just across the sidewalk. :)

The original is a big 80s frag, not the loudest or most bombastic of that era, powerful enough yet still civilized. It smells like there are a lot of notes crammed in there from green and coniferous to floral to spicy with some leather and amber.
It's versatile enough if you like 80s frags. One could wear it to work, for a night out, possibly even dressed down a bit, but it's not a summery shorts & T-shirt scent to me.

273 Rodeo Drive for Men by Fred Hayman is a cheapie that smells very similar to original Xeryus. It doesn't have the same degree of complexity, but for ~$20 it will get you in the ballpark.

Latest News