Givenchy Xeryus Rouge...

bugatti

Jul 26, 2014
So while I was visiting my local perfume boutique, the owner was showing me some scents that she loves but aren't as well known or widely used.

One that caught my attention just for the fact that it was quite different from any other fragrance I have smelled to this point, was the Givenchy Xeryus Rouge.

I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this or have gotten your nose on it before?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I own a bottle of this and like it but haven't worn it for a long time. Perhaps I need to dig this one out and give it some use again.

bigsteve

Oct 13, 2012
Got it, loved the scent, but the projection/longevity was not acceptable. So I swapped it away.
I think, from two testings, that Polo Red might be a pretty good substitute for XR.

Vinrambo09

Jan 14, 2010
They are 2 formulations of this.
The old formulation in the art deco ( ie long bottle) and the current version, which smells like sickly rotting fruit.
The vintage formulation, had a nice tonka and sandalwood base , which gave Xeryus Rouge a beautiful drydown. The current bottles, lack the tonka and sandalwood, also its more synthetic smelling.

Vinrambo09

Jan 14, 2010
Got it, loved the scent, but the projection/longevity was not acceptable. So I swapped it away.
I think, from two testings, that Polo Red might be a pretty good substitute for XR.

They must have really reformulated it, because the bottle I own is incredibly powerful. Xeryus Rouge projects like anything.

ndajani

Apr 3, 2006
I bought this when it first came out as a winter fragrance and to take a break from constantly wearing vetiver fragrances.

It lasted forever and silage was a monster. One thing I clearly remember was how much the ladies loved it. I swear strangers on the street would stop me to ask what I was wearing. Once I was in line at the bank and 2 women in line asked/complimented me and then when I got to the teller, she asked me about it too. Frankly, it was too much attention for me.

I have heard that it has been reformulated and that the new juice is but a shadow of its former self. I cannot comment on that as I have not tried a recent batch.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
The original XR is truly a special scent, and if you have longevity issues you might as well just get out of the "fragrance game." The newer formulations are reported to be quite bad, from what I've read, but I haven't tried them.

ScottW

Feb 12, 2014
I have the original 1990s version, in fact it was one of the first handful of frags I owned as a teenager (which also included Polo Sport, Dior Dune, and Raw Vanilla by Coty). I don't wear XR too often anymore, but I could never bring myself to sell it because of some associated memories. It's fairly sweet and IMO good for colder weather or night/date use. I haven't sampled the reformulated version but the original has some pretty serious sillage and will linger on clothing for a couple of days.

DanHD

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 15, 2013
Wearing this for the first time today. The top is a bit grating and my wife immediately said "you smell cheap." The drydown is really interesting though, and now my wife loves it too. It has a high-pitched creamy woods quality that I find interesting and smooth, but a tad challenging.

It reminds me a little of Lagerfield Classic (also has creamy woods?).

Any ofher fans out there. Can you compare XR too other scents?

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014
I'm wearing vintage Xeryus Rouge as my SotD. At first I thought there were differences between the original formulation and the new version. Then I convinced myself I was playing tricks on myself.

Unfortunately, there truly is a stark difference between XRv1 and XRv2.

XRv2 opens harshly, grating, and with a powdery, metallic pimento and it stays that way for a few hours. Eventually it becomes more tolerable as a slightly sweet, creamy, musk.

XRv1 is immaculate - it opens with a green freshness that's a mix of sweet citrus and a black licorice nuance. Eventually, a red berry accord makes its way to the forefront with a warm and spicy pimento on its heels. The fragrance is slightly sweet during the heartnotes but becomes unbelievably sweet and sultry in the basenotes. I am so upset that this is reformulated. I have two 50ml bottles of XRv1... I use them sparingly, with care, and only when I truly want to be taken on an exotic fragrance journey.

Any ofher fans out there. Can you compare XR too other scents?

Try Azzaro Elixir. It's got the same red berry vibe but it is much more smokey in the beginning and metallic/inky in the basenotes. I get lots of compliments on it even though I don't like it... I haven't worn it in about 9 months and have retired it since I have Xeryus Rouge.

DerangedGoose

Jan 27, 2009
I'm wearing vintage Xeryus Rouge as my SotD. At first I thought there were differences between the original formulation and the new version. Then I convinced myself I was playing tricks on myself.

Unfortunately, there truly is a stark difference between XRv1 and XRv2.

XRv2 opens harshly, grating, and with a powdery, metallic pimento and it stays that way for a few hours. Eventually it becomes more tolerable as a slightly sweet, creamy, musk.

XRv1 is immaculate - it opens with a green freshness that's a mix of sweet citrus and a black licorice nuance. Eventually, a red berry accord makes its way to the forefront with a warm and spicy pimento on its heels. The fragrance is slightly sweet during the heartnotes but becomes unbelievably sweet and sultry in the basenotes. I am so upset that this is reformulated. I have two 50ml bottles of XRv1... I use them sparingly, with care, and only when I truly want to be taken on an exotic fragrance journey.

Try Azzaro Elixir. It's got the same red berry vibe but it is much more smokey in the beginning and metallic/inky in the basenotes. I get lots of compliments on it even though I don't like it... I haven't worn it in about 9 months and have retired it since I have Xeryus Rouge.

Thats too bad. I was hoping the current version was acceptable, as the 5.0oz oversize bottles sell cheaply. Do you own both versions? Where did you get a chance to test them side by side?

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014
Thats too bad. I was hoping the current version was acceptable, as the 5.0oz oversize bottles sell cheaply. Do you own both versions? Where did you get a chance to test them side by side?

Yes I own both. I did the side by side in January. 20degrees outside.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015

DerangedGoose

Jan 27, 2009
I just bought vintage 100 ml no box for $35 from eBay. Probably a week ago. I thought that was standard price point for vintage XR.

I remember that one, I would say that was on the low end. But the reality is that over time vintage prices will go up. However, I think that most people seem to find the current version acceptable, as it is still in production and several members here have said they find it to be faithful to the original.

checkmate

Sep 8, 2013
Didn't care for it. I blind bought the newest formulation in 2013 and gave it to a co-worker who was also into fragrances. I found it cloying and synthetic. I've never tried the vintage, but have read that it's better.

feydakin9

Mar 24, 2011
I used to own this and I LOVED IT!!! AN EXACT, I MEAN, DEAD-ON CARBON COPY OF SHISEIDO'S BASALA/ BASARA, which is a legend! BUY IT!

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014
I love Xeryus Rouge, the vintage version.

There truly are stark differences between the two versions.

It's so sad. As corny as this sounds, Xeryus Rouge would be my signature scent for the next couple years if it was in its original formulation.

The compliments are quite frequent when I wear XRv1. I get an unusual amount of unsolicited compliments from men when I wear XRv1.

The reformulation has this screechy, truly unsettling metallic tinge that they tried to mask by ramping up the pepper note and removing that unique red berry accord that runs wild in the original formulation.

sobejjj

May 25, 2016
I used vintage one for clubbing in my young days (like 16 years ago) and it was always well received by the company. It is quite a unique scent and has great sillage and longevity. I grew out of it by now but I still enjoy it sometimes and I use reformulated version now. The vintage is definately more wild and better, just more things going on. The newest is not bad by any means and is still unique so definately worth a try. It is a very sweet scent so beware, not the cloying way though - it doesn't mold into this unrecognizable mass of sweetness so many new scents do.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
I used to own this and I LOVED IT!!! AN EXACT, I MEAN, DEAD-ON CARBON COPY OF SHISEIDO'S BASALA/ BASARA, which is a legend! BUY IT!
While I see the similarities between the two, they are different. Basala is very dry and arid, XR is sweet. They get closer to each other during drydown but initial 2 hours are different.

Mikelp

Sep 5, 2016
i remember wearing this a couple of years ago, probably in 2012 and it had plenty of sillage. I remember keeping the blotter (paper) in which I tried a tester and my room was fullfiled with the fragrance. It is a very seductive fragrance, but the red pepper was too much for me I think, as it was very prominent. I tried it a couple of month ago and I don't know why I perceived it weaker than that time. Probaby because of my lack of interest as I didn't pay to much attention to the issue. Regards!

Latest News