Givenchy Xeryus is one of the most animalic powerhouses I've tried...

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
...second only to Kouros in terms of sheer barnyard stank, and boasting a similarly impressive clean / dirty dichotomy. The only animalic I can ever find listed in the pyramid is "musk". Gentleman seems to be the default Givenchy recommendation whenever the animalic men's classics come up in conversation, and although Gentleman does have its fair share of raunch, Xeyrus is absolutely depraved. Why does it never get mentioned?

In any case, I'm bowled over by this fragrance. Sort of like what I imagine a Kouros Night flanker smelling like. Just incredible development throughout the wear. The stock 80's men's green accords are there - cypress, fir, lots of oakmoss and wormwood - but they just come off so much differently in Xeryus. Also I think one of Givenchy's signatures is that FAR more attention and care seems to be paid to the floral aspects vs other contemporaneous men's fragrances (I have a similar feeling about the florals in Gentleman). I'm talking vintage btw, but animalics seem to be "trending" on the men's board right now.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I never got animalic from it so I've got to try it again one of these days to see if I can detect that.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I never got animalic from it so I've got to try it again one of these days to see if I can detect that.

This was my first thought, I'll have to dig out my decant and refresh my memory. Powerhouse for sure, but it didn't strike me as being animalic. What type of animalism do you pick up Pauer_Haus (great username BTW)? Any specific note or just an overall feel to you?

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
This was my first thought, I'll have to dig out my decant and refresh my memory. Powerhouse for sure, but it didn't strike me as being animalic. What type of animalism do you pick up Pauer_Haus (great username BTW)? Any specific note or just an overall feel to you?

Thank you! It's mostly just a certain pheremonal "honk" I've smelled in lots of fragrances with civet listed (Kouros, Youth Dew, TF Noir for Men) and it's something I generally smell best when I spray on my wrist (I am usually a neck sprayer) and put my nose right up to it. It could be a particularly indolic floral all those fragrances share but the chances of that are slim. The thought of Antaeus being dirtier than what I'm smelling seems impossible, but I haven't tried it!

calzim

Nov 9, 2014
I never got an animalic impression either, but it does have a strong jasmine note. Gonna go put some on now.

MichelVaillant

Sep 2, 2013
I have not tried the current version, but the older version (in the dark blue bottle) does not come across animalic to me either. I have always thought of it as a good, textbook aromatic fougere, in the style of 80s powerhouses such as Drakkar Noir and Azzaro PH.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Did not perceive it so far, at least not personally as particularly animalic however as one of the best and thus one of the personal favorites among both Givenchy masculines and more generally classic, iconic powerhouses

Titan

Mar 9, 2005
I have not tried the current version, but the older version (in the dark blue bottle) does not come across animalic to me either. I have always thought of it as a good, textbook aromatic fougere, in the style of 80s powerhouses such as Drakkar Noir and Azzaro PH.

I would agree with this assessment but add that there is also a touch of oriental fragrance in this too. Been a long time since I have smelled this scent but I recall it wasn't as aromatic as DN or Azzaro and wore a little heavier and darker. Perhaps it is the florals that created the animalic association. Am only familiar with the original from 1986 in the black glass bottle so don't know how the recent release wears. And Xeryus Rouge has nothing in common with the original.

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
Well, many noses I respect weighing in pretty unanimously here. All I can recommend is that you spray Xeryus on one wrist and, on the other, any 80's fougere not particularly known for animalism - Sung, Drakkar, Azzaro etc. After about 15 minutes really bury your nose in each wrist. Obviously you will smell differences not related to animalics, but you might also catch a strong civet overtone jumping off your skin from Xeryus. Maybe it's so pronounced for me because I'm used to a certain shower-fresh cleanliness in fougeres from this era which Xeryus lacks despite having so many of the same key accords.

Staff online

Latest News