Givenchy Gentleman. Need Advice Before Opening Case. | Basenotes

Givenchy Gentleman. Need Advice Before Opening Case.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Hi guys!
So...I Got this vintage GG atomiseur today and at first it was all okay. Smells fabulous. But then problems started progressing.
Spraying again, the nozzle stuck, and I saw that the tube was severing at the joint and the juice just fizzled everywhere and then stopped as the joint broke...
Good thing is that now the propellant oosed out and it is not longer pressurized.
Bad news is, the bottle is no longer full and the eBay Seller refused responsibility, claiming it is all on the courier (DHL) and will not cover anything.
DHL is a solid courier and I've never had problems like that. Can a spray-mechanism really snap off inside a full bottle in transit? I don't believe that one bit.
What the heck do I do now?
Best,
Martin
35ff5d2d14d0bfe9defb7073cb0406da.jpg
d14428995c0112412afcb79a3ebd47d7.jpg
a189c0e325d46141f596a02b3b1d8fd0.jpg

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Bummer! :cry:

Not sure if I understood right but: the 2nd time you sprayed, the hard plastic tube/nozzle was stuck in the down position, consequently severing the joint inside the bottle as the nozzle thrust too much downwards? Or do you mean the mechanism might have already been broken upon you receiving it?

I agree, I would think it's unlikely for it to break during transit, although if the plastic is old and brittle, I guess anything is possible. But if it was broken before you received it, wouldn't the propellant have leaked out already?

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Hi Martin !

IMO, DHL has nothing to do with the problem. Since at first, the sprayer worked fine (from what I've understood), I don't believe in the seller's responsibility...but I let people with better knowledge talk about that.

What I would do is transferring the juice into 30 ml decants. IMO again, the priority is to save the juice, and be able to use it.

My two cents, my friend; I feel very sorry for you !

EDIT posted at the same time Motorcade did

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I've had trouble with pressurized spray bottles in the past and lost an entire Miss Dior parfum. In some other cases, they've worked fine.

To date, I've never had an issue with a splash, but I've had natural sprays that wouldn't spray with the nozzles that came with them (Polo, Givenchy Gentleman) and pressurized sprays that failed and were a total loss (Diorama, Miss Dior).

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Thanks, guys. I don't know, man. It looked pristine, and then it just broke.
Well, the crimp is still there so I guess I could just push the tube-top all the way down inside the bottle and use it as a splash..or, yes, decant.
Just kinda pisses me off, y'know?

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Thanks, guys. I don't know, man. It looked pristine, and then it just broke.
Well, the crimp is still there so I guess I could just push the tube-top all the way down inside the bottle and use it as a splash..or, yes, decant.
Just kinda pisses me off, y'know?

I can understand what you feel. I feel very sorry for you, but there's a possibility to have the juice safe, and this is the most important, I think. :thumbsup:

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
I can understand what you feel. I feel very sorry for you, but there's a possibility to have the juice safe, and this is the most important, I think. [emoji106]
You're right, absolutely. Thank god these things don't happen often. I've cooled down now, so I'm not taking it any further[emoji1] Afterall, that's the risk you take. At least the juice is healthy!

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I'd try decanting with a needle and syringe or maybe just the syringe (if you widen it to fit snugly around the stuck tube).

Avecesar

Nov 16, 2011
I am so sorry for you, Marand ! Try to recover as most as you can , the juice should be OK.
I also had a very bad experience with a 28ml atomizer bottle of GG in the past : after the first activation of the sprayer, the juice came out continuously. I was unable to stop it and , in less than one minute, the bottle emptied onto my hands !
I am always excited when I get an atomizer because, in my mind, it means "real" vintage but I also know that it's always a bit risky ...

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
The seller is responsible, so file a case if they don't resolve it to your satisfaction. Even if the problem had been caused by DHL (it wasn't), it's the seller's obligation to file a claim with them for compensation, not the customer's.

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
The seller is responsible, so file a case if they don't resolve it to your satisfaction. Even if the problem had been caused by DHL (it wasn't), it's the seller's obligation to file a claim with them for compensation, not the customer's.
I see what you mean. Problem is if he wants the stuff back, 'cause I decided to decant it.

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Before spraying for the first time was it already partially severed? It could've been a faulty sprayer to begin with. Never heard of a Givenchy Gentleman bottle having this issue.
It looked normal, but I believe it had already broke in the rim because it fizzled both juice and gas. 2nd spray it severed completely and it was just gas and the head stuck, so I just let it flow til there was no more pressure inside. I took it apart and it had snapped clean off at the rubber-seal.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
It looked normal, but I believe it had already broke in the rim because it fizzled both juice and gas. 2nd spray it severed completely and it was just gas and the head stuck, so I just let it flow til there was no more pressure inside. I took it apart and it had snapped clean off at the rubber-seal.

I've heard horror stories of bottles spazzing out completely when the propellant decides to burst out, so I guess you were lucky in the sense that you still had juice in the bottle afterwards! Glad to hear you got it decanted ok.

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
I've heard horror stories of bottles spazzing out completely when the propellant decides to burst out, so I guess you were lucky in the sense that you still had juice in the bottle afterwards! Glad to hear you got it decanted ok.
Thanks, M. I've decanted pressurized bottles before, and it's super easy if you know which steps to take. Funny thing is, that the GG was approximately 100ml left, but when I had removed almost all the propellant (there was still some gas left in the juice), the content had dropped almost below the label[emoji1]. Weird s**t, man.

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Marand, could you describe the steps to take? just in case... :smiley:
I have some atomizer bottles that I spray with all due care because I'm scared to death that situation can happen anytime.
Of course!
1) The tube broke inside at the seal/crimp so that only propellant came out. So I removed the nozzle and pushed the top of the stem further down and let the gas flow freely. When the flow stopped, the pressure is gone so I pushed the tube all the way into the bottle. Now there's free passage to the juice via the hole in the crimp. There's still some propellant in the juice, so you gently shake the bottle to free some the gas from the juice via the hole. Just like when you shake a beverage til it goes flat. Then you gently pry open the crimp with, say, a small flat-nosed screwdriver and hey presto, you can decant. There will still be propellant/gas left in the juice, but it will disappear.
2) If the spray-tube and mechanism is intact but the bottle-pressure is weak, you can turn the bottle upside down and press the nozzle til the gas stops flowing and pressure is gone. Then you shake the bottle to free gas from the juice (still upside down!) and press the nozzle. Repeat this til til you are satisfied, remove the crimp and you're good to go.
These methods has always worked flawlessly for me. I hope this is helpful[emoji106]
Martin

checkmate

Sep 8, 2013
Hello there,

I’ve had this happen as well…

I bought a bottle to decant it into from Amazon.

Type in “Cologne bottle,”fragrance atomizer” or something of the like.

It looks like you’d need a 50ml bottle.

I’d just use needle nose pliers to undo the crimping around the edges or you could try to dislodge/remove the white tube.

Hope it all works out!

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
Of course!
1) The tube broke inside at the seal/crimp so that only propellant came out. So I removed the nozzle and pushed the top of the stem further down and let the gas flow freely. When the flow stopped, the pressure is gone so I pushed the tube all the way into the bottle. Now there's free passage to the juice via the hole in the crimp. There's still some propellant in the juice, so you gently shake the bottle to free some the gas from the juice via the hole. Just like when you shake a beverage til it goes flat. Then you gently pry open the crimp with, say, a small flat-nosed screwdriver and hey presto, you can decant. There will still be propellant/gas left in the juice, but it will disappear.
2) If the spray-tube and mechanism is intact but the bottle-pressure is weak, you can turn the bottle upside down and press the nozzle til the gas stops flowing and pressure is gone. Then you shake the bottle to free gas from the juice (still upside down!) and press the nozzle. Repeat this til til you are satisfied, remove the crimp and you're good to go.
These methods has always worked flawlessly for me. I hope this is helpful[emoji106]
Martin

Thank you very much, Martin!! Notes taken! :thumbsup:

Latest News