Giorgio for Men VIP Special Reserve - WOW!

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
I finally got my hands on a bottle of VIP, and this stuff is INSANE. One of the most searing, ferocious openings ever - it just starts blasting the millisecond it hits skin. Honey note from the original is almost completely absent. Thought I smelled birch tar, which is probably the "leather" note in the pyramid. The vanilla / benzoin combo in the base is apparent early on. Seems mossier than the original. The drydown does eventually land in a place that should be very familiar to fans of the original, with that same sort of powdery, sweetened patchouli.

I can't get over how smooth this is - not just in terms of seamlessness of notes, but literally there's something velveteen or plush about it. Just stupendous stuff! Does anybody know more about it - how long it was in production or the perfumer? I've heard a rumor that the original Giorgio for Men was slapped together and rushed to market in '84 because they were caught off guard by the runaway success of the women's version. Whether or not that's true, VIP seems like exactly what you'd come up with if you wanted a second crack at your flagship men's fragrance, going for a true powerhouse show-stopper this time. Just the whole idea of a Special Reserve ultra-luxury version of something that already said "Beverly Hills" on the damn bottle, a connoisseur-level product from a brand whose whole image was snob appeal in the first place, it's just irresistible to me.

Last edited:

Nasenmann

Aug 16, 2010
I agree and I'm bumping this thread because I also wonder if anyone here knows who the actual perfumer(s) was/were?

My curiosity originates from pictures I came across recently that show a sample vial of Boss's first fragrance for men ("Boss" now called "Boss Number One") but with contact details of Giogio Beverly Hills (as distributor or manufactorer) printed on it. Since there are indeed some similarities in the way "Giorgio for Men" and "Boss" were composed, I wonder if they shared perfumers at the time. Although it does seem more likely that it is the result of both brands becoming property of P&G years after their creation. I do know that Pierre Wargnye (of Drakkar Noir-fame) had a hand in Boss's creation.

But also completely independent of that, I would be interested to hear who was behind Giorgio for Men (and especially the VIP Special Reserve). Unfortunately Google didn't help me much this time.

Last edited:

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
It would be crazy if it were Pierre Wargnye. I'd love to know the perfumer but have never seen one mentioned for either fragrance.

I'm also wondering if VIP had real ambergris in it. Took me a long time to smell the amber in something this dense, but once I did... it is waaay different than today's amber synthetics! More mineralic and complex, less goopy and sweet...

universe

Apr 23, 2013
According to Osmotheque.fr:
Giorgio Men was the collaboration of Gérard Goupy and Gerard Morelli.
Giorgio VIP was created by Gerard Morelli.

Nasenmann

Aug 16, 2010
@universe (heh, that sounds a bit esoteric): Thanks for your comment! With this information I too was able to find a list of the Osmotheque-inventory and interestingly the perfumer of Boss (Number One) is noted there as Jean-François Latty (Jil Sander's Background, YSL's Jazz).

Although it wouldn't be a bad fit at all and I'm thinking highly of Osmotheque, I'm not sure this is correct. There's lots of references for Pierre Wargnye and none (other) for Latty to be found online. I suppose it's possible that they both worked on it and only one was credited although I think that's unlikely because both were big names already, afaik.

Unfortunately I can't find much about Gerard Morelli either. Gérard Goupy on the other hand is well known for Cacharel pour L'Homme and Lancome's Balafre

Last edited:

Nasenmann

Aug 16, 2010
Yes, I saw that but it doesn't provide any useful information other than confirming that the guy exists and lives in France. What I would be interested in knowing is what perfumes he worked on or at least for which houses he worked.

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
Bumping my thread almost 2 years later to say that this is still about as good as it gets for 80s masculines. On the right day VIP makes vintage Polo smell like a cheap body spray. The overall ingredient quality is just insanely good, with the patchouli, sandalwood and amber notes really sticking out as exceptional. If this were released today it would be classed somewhere between an EdP and pure parfum.

SexySmells

Dec 25, 2014
One of my favorites. It's a dark, sinister and mysterious scent. Fantastic drydown and extended drydown. There may not be a whole lot of "movement" pertaining to shifting accords, but it doesn't need it.

I would say VIP and Lapidus PH are 2 scents that wear YOU instead of the other way around.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
One of my favorites. It's a dark, sinister and mysterious scent. Fantastic drydown and extended drydown. There may not be a whole lot of "movement" pertaining to shifting accords, but it doesn't need it.

I would say VIP and Lapidus PH are 2 scents that wear YOU instead of the other way around.

In Soviet Perfume shop, cologne wears YOU.

(Sorry, you walked into that one)

relus

Mar 21, 2019
Bumping this thread again. Considering giorgio bevey hills special reserve. This scent is almost nowhere to be seen. I was wondering, does anybody have the after shave version of this scent? Since special reserve is so rare, i considering getting an as maybe, is it worth it even?

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
Bumping this thread again. Considering giorgio bevey hills special reserve. This scent is almost nowhere to be seen. I was wondering, does anybody have the after shave version of this scent? Since special reserve is so rare, i considering getting an as maybe, is it worth it even?

A spectacular fragrance! Haven't tried the aftershave but prices seem more reasonable. Not sure about Europe eBay but here in USA you can get EDT sample minis and vials for a reasonable price.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

relus

Mar 21, 2019
Yes, ive been eager to try this one! Im scoping a mini for very cheap and a 100/ 125 ml bottle what is advertised as an aftershave, but i have the impression the seller dont know what it is. No box, just the title giorgio, and for 30 euros, thats a good price imo. So im buying it i guess.

Latest News