fruits etc

I rarely go to Scent Bar even though I live fairly close by (in LA terms anyway), partly because the traffic on the way back can be horrendous and partly because, frankly, it's one surefire way for me to spend money I should save for, you know, life.

But any one hour there is just delightful and exploratory. This afternoon I powered through my to-try list, and among them:

Delrae Bois de Paradis: Not as fruity as I expected but has a smooth amber drydown that's completely radiant on the skin. I'm not sure if I love it enough to obsess about it, but I feel that unlike so many niche fragrances this is totally worth its pricepoint.

MDCI Un Coeur en Mai: I'm lukewarm about florals on the best of days, but I'm a sucker for green bouquets. Very pretty and natural, and conjures up images of young girls gathering wildflowers (moreso than La Chasse).

Keiko Mecheri Ume: I love every KM I've tried but I always get an EDT when I am promised an EDP. The presentation makes you think you'll be experiencing quite a ~rich brew~ of femininity but, eh, you'd get something light and dainty instead. Which is a shame: I really like this brand and what they produce, but their stuff is weak and not worth what they're charging.

Hilde Soliani Fraaagola Saalaaata: Bubblegum strawberry cotton candy + salt. The salt is nice, but it goes away and just leaves you with the cotton candy. They're charging almost $200 for this?

Parfum d'Empire Aziyade: I appreciate the idea but frankly I eat too much Indian food to enjoy this as a wearable fragrance. It just made me hungry.

Also tried a few Dyptiques (a lot of fun), ELDO (overrated), SL Fumerie Turque (smoky, very nice), Perfect Nectar (too edible, made me hungry again), CDG Rhubarb (liked it, but not for the size/price), and a couple of MPGs. Really liked Fraiche Passiflore, but wished it was deeper somehow.

Hmm, the search for a super-fruit continues! I wish they'd carried Byredo, it would save me the trouble of ordering a sample of Pulp...

Blog Comments

Aiona

Sep 2, 2006
I've wanted to go to the Scent Bar in L.A. also, but it seems everytime I'm there in the vicinity, I have other pressing matters to attend to. . . "you know, life." :D I guess it's just as well, cuz as you said, I'd probably spend myself into the afterlife.

eaudamy

Feb 19, 2009
Man, I love Hilde Soliani Fraaagola Saalaaata. It's pure salted strawberry on me fading to a soft strawberry all day, but I will never pay that much for a bottle! My sample is lasting for ages.

Add your Comments

Latest News