Fruit fragrances that don't center on apple or citrus

absolutesauvage

Basenotes Member
Jul 17, 2016
I've enjoyed Penhaligon's Halfeti Leather lately, it's one of the best combinations of elegant and exotic that I own. One of the things that struck me was the plum note, strong enough to be easily detectable against the heavy hitting leather and smoke notes but not foody enough to be gourmand. It reminds me a little of the apricot in Daim Blond.

It got me thinking: Most of the times when a fruit note is present in a man's fragrance it's either citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon, etc,) or some form of "apple" that comes across like baked apple pie or apple scented shampoo. Dozens of other fruits out there but those get the most attention.

What are some good fruit fragrances for men that don't focus on citrus or apple?

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Christian Dior Dune - Fig
Kelsey Berwin Trudie Sport - Watermelon
J del Pozo Quasar - Banana
Paco Rabanne Black XS - Strawberry
Kenneth Cole Reaction - Melon
Lancome Tresor - Peach
Wolfgang Joop Joop! Homme - Cherry (ish)
Loris Azzaro Jetlag - Guava (green)
Ralph Lauren Polo Double Black - Mango (green)

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great recommendations already, also adding:

Lapdius, Aventus, several Zara options like (Man) Gold and Vibrant Leather, Joop Nightflight for the pineapple-also the non flanker initial Boss Bottled with an additional apple note, but minimal enough to not be an aplle dominated focus

Trussardi Jeans Men for a plummy-powdery hint

most of the Baldessarini range for a variations of fresh, airy, lighter fruit notes with little to no apple

for almond and/or nutty notes, Mandorlo di Sicilia from the Blu Mediterraneo range by ADP, as well as to a maybe lesser extent Givenchy Verry Irresistible, Cerruti 1881 Black and the more "praline gourmet" caramel gourmand scents by Guerlain like LIDGE and stronger variations of l'Homme Ideal also remain reliably worth (re) testing

Kenzo Jungle and/or Kelsey Berwin Zeus for the coconut note

Bogart pour Homme for cherry notes, partly mingled with some hints of cherry smelling pipe tobacco

Kistna by the Body Shop for almost lychee-dominated freshness combined by a slight but still quite acidic, zesty and astringent kiwi like moderate sweetness

Rhubarbe Pamplemousse from the Pierre Herme limited edition by l'Occitane as a very fresh Mediterannean take on some not exclusively citrus dominated unisex appropriate summer fruits

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
Creed Spice & Wood - apple is subtle centerpiece, but it is also not an apple scent due to all the wood notes, etc.
The Different Company - Banana and booze.
Bruckner - Aoud 1 - Apple and Plum... but blended with oud/sandalwood providing depth and versatility.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Ferragamo Pour Homme is a stellar fig fragrance. Similar fig note to Philosykos, but less vegetal, much more wearable. Excellent blending, insane value.

HdP Fidelis is one of of their several western oud scents, but it has a beautiful raspberry opening. Different and excellent.

jdnba

Basenotes Dependent
May 30, 2007
Malin and Goetz Strawberry. It’s a light unisex fragrance. It’s odd that I don’t think of strawberry when I think of scent…they usually smell muddy until washed, but this frag smells like strawberries taste. Not bad but not mind blowing either.

lfc1892

Dec 12, 2021
Mizensir For Your Love - raspberry
Vespero - pineapple
1969 Hdp -peach
Bat - banana
Wulong Chan- fig
Karagoz - grape

ionone

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 20, 2020
Seifenhexe Berlin - Tangerine Dream
Stephane Humbert Lucas - Soleil de Jeddah
Nobile 1942 - Rudis
Les Bains Guerbois - 1986 Eclectique
Boadicea - Rebellious

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
There's the figs - already mentioned: Diptyque, Ferragamo (SFPH) agree with Toxicon, great price. One more not mentioned Fico D'Amalfi by ADP

The first one that came to mind is another Penhaligon's - Belgravia Chypre. (It may not be real easy to find but is out there....) I kept wearing it and really liking an offset with the dark notes, which turns out to be Raspberry. It's a great case of the light/dark thing really working as the raspberry really stands out well.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
I'm just wearing Zoologist - Camel.

Sweaty camel balls dangling over a bowl of ambery-honeyed-candy dried fruits.
Your nose is near the balls, not close to the fruits.

Musky, indolic, urinous, smoky, goat skin like, suede/leather.
The texture is greasy-waxy, with a bit of fluff from musk.

The sweetness is moderate and balanced by the animalics. It slowly fades away until it dissapears after 2-3 hours.

Kind a love it.

375x500.47334.jpg

Rabidsenses

Basenotes Dependent
May 10, 2019
Bois 1920’s Classic 1920

While a slight spicy amber woods helps carry it through to the base the apricot (supported by the usual bergamot start and some juniper berries in the middle) is pretty apparent from the get-go and remains for a considerable duration of the wear.

Myself, I’m not a huge fruity fragrance guy but apricot itself is a really nice note - it can never be loud let alone shrill, but in the Bois 1920 I’m continuously impressed how this note just keeps humming along. This is based on bottle I’ve had in my collection for a while now and it always feels fresh, uplifting and substantial when I wear it. Sunshine without citrus. How about them non-apples?

ihxb01

Basenotes Member
Jan 26, 2020
Kirke, a fruity chypre with the peach, raspberry, pear and passionfruit notes.
Reveal Men CK, frankly IDK what is that exactly but it has melon and pear.

Last edited:

Latest News