FragranceX, or FragranceNet - Which do you Prefer ?

Dudester!

Banned
Nov 14, 2008
I am getting mixed messages and uncertain reliability from these merchants..in your experience, have you ever shopped with any of them? Which online merchant will definitely sell genuine, authentic, 100% original designer fragrances and no knock/offs, imitations? FragranceX unabashedly makes the statement that their products are originals on its website, however we can't simply decide to just trust them. Anyone wanna make life easy for us and if you ordered can you tell us if it was the exact same original designer fragrance you'd find in department stores (and perhaps more than just one cologne to solidify the answer further)? Thank you !

dilney

Jul 6, 2011
I don't know about the site you posted saying that fragrancex was "verified" as a scam. They don't give any concrete evidence for this claim.

In my experience it's a regular discount store. They sell good products at good prices but the service is poor. Lots of people complain about the delivery times, but I had no problems with 2 large ($150+) orders so far. Both arrived in less than 2 weeks. Smaller orders that I made later are taking longer but they have been shipped with a cheaper/slower method.

I don't expect the best service when ordering a 20 dollar perfume from the US to be delivered for free in Spain.

Don't stress out too much. They are fine...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Norstrøm

Mar 25, 2011
Both stores sell genuine products, but Frangrancenet has the edge when it comes to prices and discounts, especially since our BASENOTES coupon code gives a 15% off discounts at their store, whereas it only gives 10% at FragranceX. I have been satisfied with my purchases from both stores and I buy from whichever store has the fragrance I am out to buy. Of course if you are in the market to buy Creeds, you should beware that you can not be certain which batch your bottle comes from. Example: I got a bottle of MI(2010 batch) from Fragrancenet which was almost devoid of the melony/fruity top notes I knew from an earlier batch.

thatmakesscents

Jul 23, 2011
I am a little bit confused. I went onto fragrance.net and saw that they offer a 6.8 ounce of vetiver guerlain for $78.19 but the box looks completely different than the other sizes offered. Then I go on overstock.com and see the same box with noticeable black markings on the 2.5 box only and no 6.8 ounce available. The only 6.8 ounce GV I've ever seen is from fragrance.net.

I've been using Vetiver Guerlain for a few years already and had no idea they offer a 6.8 ounce bottle. When did this happen? What do the different markings means and when will we only start seeing the new "old" bottles only?

PradaG

Jan 28, 2011
I've ordered from fragrancenet with no problems. Another great site to check out is beautyencounter.

Oslo-Fjord

Aug 27, 2008
I have bought from both without any problems. Disregard of that, I prefer www.escentual.com .Because they are located in Britain, I get superfast shippment, and the pack usually comes directly in my mail box. With other companies I generally have to pick up the pack at my local post office.

silentrich

May 27, 2009
I won't go near Fragrancenet after they sent me the wrong fragrance and then proceeded to tell me it was the right one. I ordered Silver Wind Wood and received the original He Wood. I actually had to argue with her and tell her to go on the website and look at the picture of Silver Wind Wood and compare it to He Wood. When she finally agreed they sent me the wrong one she told me they couldn't send out Silver Wind Wood because they didn't have it and had shipped out anyone that ordered it the original He Wood. Their customer service and overall knowledge of running a fragrance business is very poor. Never again.

Dudester!

Banned
Nov 14, 2008
Well basically I want to know which merchant is less likely to sell knockoffs/counterfeits is what I'm concerned about. At the end of the day THAT is what I'm interested in. Not caring for how long it takes to ship, since I'll get it anyway, and I am much willing to sacrifice that just so long as I receive the ORIGINAL designer fragrance. They have so many fragrances so I wonder how they can have genuine, authentic designers. Which ever one you think is less likely to sell knockoffs and more so stick with the originals is what I wanted to know, sorry if its redundant but yeah. Thanks.

silentrich

May 27, 2009
Fragrancenet, fragranceX, scentedmonkey, beautyencounter, D'dara, and fragrancexpress are all legit sites and do not sell knockoffs. D'dara has the best return policy as it's no questions asked so if you don't like it you can return it within I believe 15 or 30 days. It's also free shipping both ways everyday, but for the 5 or 10 you'll save on the other sites you have that piece of mind that you can return it.

Surfacing

Nov 6, 2002
I am a little bit confused. I went onto fragrance.net and saw that they offer a 6.8 ounce of vetiver guerlain for $78.19 but the box looks completely different than the other sizes offered. Then I go on overstock.com and see the same box with noticeable black markings on the 2.5 box only and no 6.8 ounce available. The only 6.8 ounce GV I've ever seen is from fragrance.net.

I've been using Vetiver Guerlain for a few years already and had no idea they offer a 6.8 ounce bottle. When did this happen? What do the different markings means and when will we only start seeing the new "old" bottles only?

Why would you be confused ? There are different packagings for the same fragrances in many instances.

Neil4Speed

Sep 14, 2006
If I lived the states, I would definitely be Scentedmonkey exclusively, the prices are insane good! I am contemplating a Vegas trip just to get some shipped to the hotel.

Fragrancenet sent me and charged me for two of both colognes I purchased, and refused to pay return postage. Fragrancenet is generally more expensive for Canadians as well with their high shipping prices. Fragrancex for me.

Blowe46

Aug 4, 2008
As a Canadian, I definitely prefer Fragrancex.com . Their free shipping makes everything fairly affordable. Furthermore, they offer a loyalty discount. A few friends of mine share an account, and after one thousand dollars in purchases, you got a loyalty discount of 10%. So the loyalty discount (10%) plus free shipping makes Fragrancex.com an obvious choice.

I have had no issues with fragrancenet.com but overall it's a tad more expensive. For Americans, there are many more choices as Free shipping is the norm.

KMF

Aug 25, 2007
Taken from this thread:
http://www.basenotes.net/threads/207117-The-BIG-list-of-online-stores-your-input-needed!

Discount Stores
These stores are listed in order of popularity based on a completely unscientific poll (http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=212585). While there may be a Big 5 (or 6), I think it is accurate to say that most can be used without worry.

Fragrancenet.com (also Scentberry.com)
They ship internationally
Some positives, no negatives. Seems to be popular.

Scentiments.com
Ships to US only.
Lots of basenoters seem to swear by this site - and their Creeds. Tons of positive comments; I haven’t found any negative ones. Perhaps the most popular site?

Beautyencounter.com (formerly Perfumebay.com) beautifulperfumes.com, perfumeshop.com, scentguru.com, classyperfumes.com have the same owner and physical address.
They ship internationally.
Lots of positive, a few negatives – though one negative liked their customer service.

Scentmonkey.com
Many happy customers. (I received some bad juice and their customer service was horrible – will never do business with them again. I appear to be the only one, though!)

ImaginationPerfumery.com
Ships only to US and Canada
Also rather popular. Again, no negative comments.

Bigdiscount.com
They do not ship internationally.
Lots of positive comments – they seem to be trusted and reliable.

Fragrancex.com (also Extremeperfumes.com - they have the same address and some of the same text).
They ship internationally – one person had trouble using their credit card and suggested international customers use paypal to speed things up.
Some positive comments – two said “never again.” A fair amount of people seem to use this site.

99perfume.com (aka: cologne-mens.com, cologne-no1.com, empireperfume.com, colognes.net, and perfumeinc.com. Phew! To their credit, most of those sites prominently display the 99Perfume.com logo.)
Will ship internationally.
Not many comments, but all are positive.

Perfume.com
They do not ship internationally.
Some positive comments – people who use this site seem to do return business with them.

Perfumeemporium.com
People seem to use this store, but the feedback is limited – a few positives and two “never agains.” They easily win the prize for most obnoxious website since they use pop-ups to try to stop you from leaving the site.

Strawberrynet.com
Positive comments. A few people think they are overpriced, though shipping seems to be free. Looks like most people are repeat customers and happy with the company.

Parfum1.com
Good comments, none negative.

Venablesdiscountsales.com
One positive comment – ships internationally

Directcosmetics.com
Based in England. Ships internationally.
One positive comment from a highly reliable source (see below).

Fragrancedirect.co.uk
Based in England. They ship internationally.

Smartbargins.com
Ships to US only.
One positive comment.

Fragranceshop.com (also MidtownPerfume.com)
Mixed. A few have had no problems, others say the customer service is lacking, and stocks are not updated.

perfumeoutlet.com
One negative, no other feedback.

Perfumeshome.com
One negative, no other feedback

Perfumecountry.com

1stperfume.com (and perfumenetwork.com, perfumedistributor.com, overstockperfume.com and perfumeloop.com, which are owned by the same person and have the same physical address).
I think it is fair to call this site notorious among basenoters. You shop here at your own risk.

Unlimitedperfumes.com
There are a few posts that warn against shopping at this site. Again, buyer beware.

windaz.com
Probably best to avoid.

Other sites to add to this list once comments are given:

www.suravionline.com
www.perfumebonita.com,
usaperfumes.com
perfumeguys.com
Cosmeticsolutions.biz

seldomseen

Mar 23, 2018
Fragrancenet is extremely mediocre with regards to their customer experience, shipping speed, and merchandise returns/refunds. I've also noticed, that Fragrancenet, will engage in bait and switch tactics with fragrances they advertise. In other words, they will advertise a specific cologne, and but mail you a flanker of the cologne instead of what advertised. Dealing with Fragrancenet, is really hit or miss. If they get your order right the first time, and every time you order from them, consider yourself lucky.

Definitely, be open to the many other online discounters that are available.

Overall Score: 4/10

RS2AM

Apr 2, 2014
I switched from fragrancenet to fragrancex for the last few years for various reasons.
Once I noticed Notino had a few bottles I couldn't find elsewhere AND better prices at times,
I thought they were going to be my next choice. However, their site is down and has been for a looong
time.

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
I prefer Fragrancex when I can find the same product for a more or less equal price. They ship a lot faster and have never screwed up an order of mine. Fragrancenet isn't bad though, and since they have a bigger variety, I tend to use them more often. I also like their website setup a little bit more.

I think most of us use Fragrancenet, Fragrancex, or a random eBay seller when it comes to finding designers and more mainstream niche on the cheap. Are there any other online discounters that are doing a really good job right now? Any new discounters we might not be aware of?

I recently tried a place called "Perfume-click.com" I didn't realize at the time that they're based in the UK. But I got my order fast enough and didn't have to pay anything other than regular shipping prices. They seemed decent.

I know Maxaroma is still out there, they're okay. And Parfum1 used to be really good but it seems they're no longer updating their products or getting in many new releases...sort of the same old stock for a couple years now. And there's always Beauty Encounter. They actually have a huge catalog and sometimes you can find a steal as far as their prices go, but their shipping time and quality is so-so.

Mr Envy

Nov 25, 2012
For me easily Fragrancex, for 2 simple reasons
1. Excellent customer service
2. No issues with stock

Every 6 months I give fragrancenet another chance and regret it, it’s my fault for trying to save a few dollars

The latest issue being 1 week after I paid for my order being told half the items weren’t in stock

Mind you they shipped half the order without checking if I stil wanted it or if I wanted to wait for the items to be back in stock

They also still show stock for that item which is purchased several bottles of

The difference in price of shipping wasn’t refunded, their Facebook customer service was useless, I had to sit from 11pm till 11:47pm to chat with their customer service that couldn’t understand that by charging me full postage but sending only half what I ordered the cost per bottle was then more expensive than other options I could have had if I’d known there was apparently no stock

I hate them with a passion, never again, they’ve screwed me at least 10 times now, I’ll gladly pay more to never have to deal with them again. My last order also came with so much promotional junk mail it filled half the box

RealBlast3

Apr 7, 2017
It just so happens that the FragranceX.com warehouse is like just 15 minutes from my house, so suffice it to say, when I order from them, I get it like the next day or so, it's insanely great shipping for me! I love them. It was fragrancenet, which I had used first, which always took longer shipping for me, in NY. The prices for both are overall basically the same, though. I never had problems with either.

And yes, I too, sometimes use an ebayer with a great rating too if the price is right. I also loved notino and maxaroma as well.

Emrys

Apr 29, 2018
FragranceX. Their customer service isn't great, and their prices are always slightly more expensive than FragranceNet, but at least they're reliable. FragranceNet just processes and ships way too slowly for me to use them often.

Last edited:

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
FragranceX

Fragrancenet wouldn't stop hounding me with emails for a while; I also now have a subscription to Golf Magazine (that I don't pay for).

That's annoying as s#!t isn't it. I have one to Money and when I called Money CS to cancel it, they said "No Can Do" have to call Fragrancenet.

Anyway, either one works for me, but I also keep an eye on MaxAroma for their Weekly Deals.

polarbird

Jul 2, 2015
That's annoying as s#!t isn't it. I have one to Money and when I called Money CS to cancel it, they said "No Can Do" have to call Fragrancenet.

Anyway, either one works for me, but I also keep an eye on MaxAroma for their Weekly Deals.

That explains the subscription to a business magazine that I never ordered. I use Paypal so they don't have my credit card info. Never been charged on a perfume order or Paypal or even bank account for it. I don't know who is paying for it, but it has renewed at least once.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
FragranceNet for price, FragranceX for quality.

What I mean by that is that FragranceX seems more likely to give you better presentation frags. For some reason, FragranceNet stuff might be unwrapped, or labeling crooked, etc. It's kind of like they got last pick from the fragrance pallets after other discounters got there first. Not all the time, but some of the time it's disappointing.

It's probably worth paying the extra few $$ at FragranceX. If you think about it, it's not much of a difference. What's $5 difference when you're gonna blow that on fast food, or a pack of chips, or something anyways? :)

conkhi

Apr 30, 2013
FragranceNet for price, FragranceX for quality.

What I mean by that is that FragranceX seems more likely to give you better presentation frags. For some reason, FragranceNet stuff might be unwrapped, or labeling crooked, etc. It's kind of like they got last pick from the fragrance pallets after other discounters got there first. Not all the time, but some of the time it's disappointing.

It's probably worth paying the extra few $$ at FragranceX. If you think about it, it's not much of a difference. What's $5 difference when you're gonna blow that on fast food, or a pack of chips, or something anyways? :)
true but for me who cooks 99.9% of the time $5 is alot to save on a fragrance for the same juice

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
true but for me who cooks 99.9% of the time $5 is alot to save on a fragrance for the same juice

Well, I'm one of those fragheads who keeps the presentation. So the aesthetic/structure of the presentation is important to me.

Aside from that, this also includes leaky bottles, which can affect the integrity and lifespan of the perfume itself.

feydakin9

Mar 24, 2011
I'd definitely go with Fragrancenet for the quality of their fragrances. When I first started buying cologne online I used all the big stores ScentedMonkey, Beauty Encounter, Fragrancenet, FragranceX, Notino, etc. and all of them were pretty much the same except that Fragrancenet was pretty straightforward and it's offerings were excellent.
Anyway, one day I decided I wanted to try out Terre d'Hermes and I saw a bottle of it ( tester ) for a steal of a price on FragranceNet so I said " what the heck " and I ordered it. When it came I was VERY disappointed cos although it indeed was a genuine bottle of Terre d'Hermes the bottle didn't say so, it just listed the ingredients and I believe they had actually decanted it into the bottle and that was pretty shoddy in my eyes. So I have only shopped at FragranceX since then and never looked back.
I have only had one issue with my credit card processing with them about 4 months ago and that was on my end. They took care of it right away and it was resolved within a day.
I have bought top of the line and cheap fragrances from them and they are all excellent. I echo the sentiments expressed by other Basenoters here about FragranceX! :)

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
I'd definitely go with Fragrancenet for the quality of their fragrances. When I first started buying cologne online I used all the big stores ScentedMonkey, Beauty Encounter, Fragrancenet, FragranceX, Notino, etc. and all of them were pretty much the same except that Fragrancenet was pretty straightforward and it's offerings were excellent.
Anyway, one day I decided I wanted to try out Terre d'Hermes and I saw a bottle of it ( tester ) for a steal of a price on FragranceNet so I said " what the heck " and I ordered it. When it came I was VERY disappointed cos although it indeed was a genuine bottle of Terre d'Hermes the bottle didn't say so, it just listed the ingredients and I believe they had actually decanted it into the bottle and that was pretty shoddy in my eyes. So I have only shopped at FragranceX since then and never looked back.
I have only had one issue with my credit card processing with them about 4 months ago and that was on my end. They took care of it right away and it was resolved within a day.
I have bought top of the line and cheap fragrances from them and they are all excellent. I echo the sentiments expressed by other Basenoters here about FragranceX! :)

Why would you go with FragranceNet if you basically just highlighted a bad experience and then recommended FragranceX?

Personally I know FragranceNet is generally cheaper, but to me it kind of seems like FragranceNet gets last choice or something in what stock they get - beat up boxes, used bottles, blah blah. Just the overall feeling is their grey market goods aren't the greatest compared FragranceX at least. FragranceX is a little bit more expensive, but really a lot of the time it's only like $5-10 more and the stock may be a higher quality grey market, if that makes sense.

CordonBeige

Oct 20, 2017
Fragrancenet is a gamble. I like a deal as much as the next man, but I don't really want to take any more chances with them. If I can vet a scent and get it really cheap ($60USD or less) then I might give them another shot, but for pricier scents I'd rather just get something else full price closer to whatever the Fragnet sale would've been. I haven't tried FragX... not sure I want to.

I really do miss Notino.

ellebe

Feb 9, 2019
K, it's now July 2020. Yet again, I received an unwrapped fragrance from Fragrancenet. I emailed them about it & got an auto reply, instructing me to call their phone number. I called & the voicemail said they couldn't take calls and to email info@ fragrancenet.com. It went around 5x like that. After the fifth go-round, I received a very snotty-toned email, stating that they sometimes got fragrances in bundles of 6 or 12 all shrink-wrapped together & that's why my fragrance box was unwrapped. I don't believe this & emailed back saying so & also telling them that I wanted to return my entire order (including a fragrance that was wrapped) because I was so pissed off at that point. I asked for a return shipping label & heard nothing. I emailed them again saying I was going to contact the Better Business Bureau & also email the Fragrancenet president, Dennis M. Apfel, whose business email & phone number I'd found online. Well, that got some action, dontchaknow. But there was a long list of questions I had to answer to do the return & include it in the box. Still haven't gotten my money back yet but it's only been a few days. Have to say that I've never had any of these issues with Fragrancex.com & even though they are generally $2-$4 more per fragrance, it's way, way worth that small amount of money to not ever deal with Fragrancenet again. Fragrancenet's customer service is no longer merely subpar, it's abysmal. Avoid!

feydakin9

Mar 24, 2011
I didn't know my post didn't make sense, if that is what indeed happened. What I mean to say is that I I wholeheartedly recommend FragranceX.com any day of the week and after that one and only experience with FragranceNet I never shopped there again. I have bought some fragrances from FragranceX.com lately that haven't really worked well on me and have been very weak but my go-tos always do well and I have yet to receive a fake or something sub-par from them. I also do believe they have " higher quality " grey market goods than FragranceNet.com and their prices are reasonable. Another website I like to use is Beauty Encounter but they don't always have a lot of their fragrances in stock. I can't really recommend any other online retailers, it's not even a hit or miss with them it's usually just a miss. :(

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I am having trouble getting a hold of FragranceX right now. I’ve tried calling multiple times but can’t get through to anyone. I ended up having to send an email but haven’t gotten a response. Not super impressed.

seldomseen

Mar 23, 2018
Maxaroma and FragranceX has much faster shipping than FragranceNet. FragranceNet generally has the lowest prices and largest inventory. But as of late, FragranceNet hasn't had the best inventory or prices based on the fragrances I sought to purchase.

Give FragranceX a few of days to respond to your email.

Latest News