Fragrances that "WOW" you recently in 2021?

Andyjreid

Oct 27, 2008
Two stand outs for me over the last year are

Follow by Kerosene. Was out of stock when I looked for it in the UK last year and became available recently. Hands down the best coffee fragrance I have ever worn.

The other, and at the other end of the price scale, would be Club de Nuit Milestone by Armaf. With Creed prices being what they are now I was looking for a more affordable alternative. I was amazed at how close this is to the original bottle of Millésime Imperial I bought many many years ago. I have had a few bottles of MI over the years and have finally found a cheaper alternative that actually ticks all the boxes in regard to similarity.

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
Two stand outs for me over the last year are

Follow by Kerosene. Was out of stock when I looked for it in the UK last year and became available recently. Hands down the best coffee fragrance I have ever worn.

The other, and at the other end of the price scale, would be Club de Nuit Milestone by Armaf. With Creed prices being what they are now I was looking for a more affordable alternative. I was amazed at how close this is to the original bottle of Millésime Imperial I bought many many years ago. I have had a few bottles of MI over the years and have finally found a cheaper alternative that actually ticks all the boxes in regard to similarity.

I purchased Milestone and I agree it's a great replacement for Millesime Imperial at a affordable price.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Euphorium Brooklyn - WALD (pine, forest, light touch of low-sweetness maple and chimney smoke)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Clown Fruit (burnt sugar, woods, tobacco, absinthe, only available seasonally in the Fall-'now')
Armaf - Sillage (slightly better Silver Mountain Water with more longevity/sillage)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - La Tierra Mojada (petrichor-smell of earth after rain, metallic rust, some kind of tart/sour effect that goes with the metallic rust, very niche, very unusual, and very good, only available seasonally in the Spring)

I have to say that Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements keeps surprising me. They make so many scents, so some are hit and miss, but the 'hits' run the gamut of old school style aftershaves to freshies to odd clones/resurrected discontined clones to woods to resin-based to even modern gourmand and now weird ones. They have produced well over 80 scents in their history. I haven't even smelled them all and some are gone forever/discontinued. A few here and there around 5 years ago seemed more like 'experiments' than finished products. I think their talent at fragrance has grown as great as any small artisan I could imagine. The fact that they like to take chances on production runs of whimsical creations should be rewarded. I highly recommend people keep an eye out for their seasonal scents and order samples to smell them. There are gems in there that have no business being 'seasonal' and should be year-round.

I've smelled nearly everything in the stores over the years. Now I've been trying to gather samples and give a try to various other businesses. I have to get my nose on the more recent Frederic Malle scents. I haven't smelled 'Synthetic Jungle' yet and that sounds intriguing.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Bvlgari Falkar is the BEAST of all the modern releases I've smelled. Two sprays is plenty, and it holds ALL DAY. Then, after showering the next day, I could still smell it! It must have a crazy oil concentration, and it should for what it costs. But...money well spent!

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
Amouage Journey Man
the DD and the opening are totally different, which I like. This is one of the few scents I've smelled that change that much.
they're two totally different smells
opening is very punchy, typical Amouage opening, and the DD is like green smoky opulent goodness.
excellent

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
Dryad by Papillion - I've just got this today and I have been wearing it for the past hour and it is a gorgeous green Chypre fragrance. Also one of the most complex scents I've worn for a good while, there is so much going on.

On the opening I'm getting green hay, galbanum, oakmoss and then these floral parma violets take over. If you remember those parma violet candies as a kid well it smells like that but it's really beautiful. Lot's of earthy forestry smells with floral elements. It's very mossy just how I like my Chypre fragrance's. It really keeps your nose on it's toes so to speak.lol........ Big wow for me with this one, the quality just shines through. Did not think they made them like this anymore but here we are.

Three hours later............ Well I have been totally enthralled for three hours constantly smelling myself as this perfume takes you on one hell of a journey through a enchanted forest. I've been getting further notes of tobacco, iris, furry musk, vetiver and the oakmoss is to die for if you love the accord. Such a mossy warmth infused with the spirit of the forest. lol....... don't mean to get poetic there but if you smell this scent you will know what I mean. It's glorious!

Seven hours now I have had this on my skin and we are well into the basenotes. What is interesting is that on my chest where I sprayed I'm getting mossy iris with something fresh smelling. But the spray on my wrist smells like smoky green vetiver. Amazing, so multi-faceted.

375x500.45963.jpg

Last edited:

bigelly

Oct 16, 2021
Yeah, they are all performance monsters. Which could be good or bad depending on the scent.
No such thing as a bad scent. That’s a matter of personal opinion. We all love the smell of our own farts! Bad example but hopefully you know what I’m getting at! But imo montale are bang on it. Soooooo different to all the other houses. I’d pretty much blind buy any of their fragrances. Montale rocks!!!!!!

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
Current Eau d'Hermes. It becomes a skin scent after an hour but then it blends so perfectly with my own body's scent that it becomes a part of me. I smell great yet you can't tell I'm wearing perfume.
I don't believe it becomes a skin scent so soon. I've gone blind to it, and then had people comment on the smell way after I couldn't detect it anymore.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Straight to Heaven. Returning to this one after quite some time and it's easily one of my top 5 scents. Just wish the performance was stronger.

Latest News