Fragrances that "WOW" you recently in 2021?

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
Lubin Korrigan.

I have bottles of Korrigan and Upper 10 and they both strike me the same way in that they are wonderful examples of highly synthetic fragrances that are done REALLY well. It's hard to identify the notes (at least for me) in these but overall they smell damn good. The only downside is that for me they're both super linear and don't pose much of a challenge. That's okay though-- not every fragrance needs to be challenging :laugh:

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
Akro - Haze.
the others from the brand aren't as good, but this one is very very good,
"new smell" type of fragrance (the best one IMO) and very unique

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
The "Dirty" series from Heretic Parfum. They hit upon this idea to make various key notes "dirty" by adding some contrasting or compromising dirtiness to these formulas and they qualify for "wow" of this thread. My favorites are: Dirty Ginger, Dirty Vanilla, Dirty Hinoki, Dirty Lavender, Dirty Grass. These all get a big recommendation!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Byredo Pulp... indirectly. So, I've always found Pulp interesting, but it still felt a bit abstract - that whole fruity aspect. People talking about it smelling like fruit that's almost turned or some such.

Well, not really 'turning' fruit, but they nailed it I think. I put some frozen fruit in the sink earlier and it sat for a while (exercised, etc., left and came back home - don't want to chop up frozen fruit!) and the smell from the sink damn near smelled exactly like Pulp without the green aspect in the opening! I think the fruit is blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, and blueberry. I was quite surprised.

So good job on the perfumer(s) that created Pulp!

(for what it's worth, Pulp's drydown is where the magic is for me :))

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
For $23 USD, I love this stuff.
distiller_cologne_1.jpg

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Diptyque Kyoto - The listed notes are pretty accurate, but the sum is greater than the parts IMO. I get vetiver, rose, and incense. The vetiver reminds me of Bois D'Orage a bit - earthy. The rose is there but doesn't dominate. The incense reminds me of cinnamon-based Japanese incense that's less known abroad. It's not smoky or pine-y like CdG Kyoto, it's fragrant and spicy, like sniffing a box of unburnt incense.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Invictus Intense

Took a while for me to like this, but I'm really enjoying it now. It's almost like Bubble Gum soaked in Salt Water & Whiskey.

Might get a bottle since it may be DCed. I'd say it's my 2nd favorite Invictus, behind the OG. Still need to give Victory a full wear though.

Carl57

Jan 27, 2015
Jovoy Remember Me- I don’t care how expensive this is- I just want to wear this by myself in my
Bed when it’s cold outside.

Dior Ambre Nuit: surprisingly hadn’t smelled this one before. I was considering buying MFKs Grand Soir but always pulled back last second because was I really going to that much for amounts a straightforward vanilla amber. When I sniffed Ambre Nuit I knew instantly that every occasion I had imagined wearing the MFK would be better served by this masterpiece. Almost got the ridiculously big bottle but it’s be a waste.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Dior Ambre Nuit: surprisingly hadn’t smelled this one before. I was considering buying MFKs Grand Soir but always pulled back last second because was I really going to that much for amounts a straightforward vanilla amber. When I sniffed Ambre Nuit I knew instantly that every occasion I had imagined wearing the MFK would be better served by this masterpiece. Almost got the ridiculously big bottle but it’s be a waste.

I like Ambre Nuit over Grand Soir as well but both are good.

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
Re: Fragrances that "WOW" you recently in 2021?

Yup, that's exactly what the Cremo website says, but I was hoping for more details.
Some comments compare it to TdH, but I'm not sure with these notes.
Oh sure. I'd say it starts with a warm alcoholic note similar to the smell of being in a distillery/tasting room where liquor is being poured. The vetiver then mingles with that for a bit of earthy freshness, not too much and not a pungent vetiver. Then you've got your oaky woody drydown that hangs around for quite awhile. Quick transitions, fairly linear, smells quality.

I wouldn't compare it to TdH but maybe the lighter Eau Tres Fraiche, however, it's been a long time since I sampled that one.

Last edited:

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
Oh sure. I'd say it starts with a warm alcoholic note similar to the smell of being in a distillery/tasting room where liquor is being poured. The vetiver then mingles with that for a bit of earthy freshness, not too much not a pungent vetiver. Then you've got your oaky woody drydown that hangs around for quite awhile. Quick transitions, fairly linear, smells quality.

I wouldn't compare it to TdH but maybe the lighter Eau Tres Fraiche, however, it's been a long time since I sampled that one.

Nice, thanks! :thumbup:
Maybe one day I'll come across a tester or sample, could be worth a try.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
Hypnotizing Fire by The Harmonist was a pleasant surprise at my local Neiman Marcus. I went there to sample Synthetic Jungle (and enjoyed that plenty too), but the really high quality warm patchouli found in Hypnotizing Fire, a perfume I had never even heard of (nor the house) was the *real* find of the day. If only it wasn’t so darned expensive.

Minotauro

Jul 12, 2021
Grimoire by Anatole Lebreton.

Wonderful name, simple packing (well done!) and great fragrance, with a cumin note to die for.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Several from Vero Profumo that I just tried for the first time (Kiki, Naja, and Mito). I was previously a fan of Onda, but never ventured further into the house until now.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
The Carine Roitfeld range of 7 that have only been available via net-a-porter for 2 years but are now at Harrods.

I just had a feeling about them. I have two but may spring for all eventually. I think they are amazing.

Latest News