Fragrances that smell like men's shaving/shower products (& vice versa)

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
I've been using a variety of shaving creams and gels, Proraso and now Barbasol "Sensitive Skin." The Barbosol, with the orange cap smells amazing, and I wonder if there's a men's EDT fragrance that similar. I find that the most refreshing scents for men are more often in the form of after shave, shaving cream, shaving gels and body washes. When I try to get EDTs that smell like shaving cream or that barbershop vibe, more often they're too sweet, ex TF Bea Du Jour or Brut. When I seek out "shower gel"-type of scents like K by Dolce & Gabbana or Dylan Blue, they have that opening of dark blue freshness, but they always get spicy and kind of heavy in the dry down.

Some really pleasant smelling shaving products and body washes that I've come across are Nivea's Shaving Gel for Sensitive Skin and their After Shave Balm. If these scents were in an EDT form, I'd be completely happy. Dove for Men Cool Fresh, as a deodorant stick and bodywash is exceptional, and again, something that should be in EDT form.

Anyone have any recommendations for an EDT that smells like Barbosol Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream?/

Here's my list:

Polo Sport / Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Lacoste Original / Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave and Antiperspirant
Azzaro Pour Homme / In the direction of traditional shaving cream but better.
Drakkar Essence / Opening and middle are very close to some of the better "blue" bodywashes, but a boring drydown.
'Lectric Shave Pre-Shave Splash / Drakkar Noir Fraiche if that was a thing.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Rive Gauche is the go-to "Barbasol" recommendation, but it does sweeten up a bit in the ambery drydown.

Try Pascal Morabito Or Black. It's not Barbasol-like, exactly - it smells more like a higher-end shaving cream with echoes of Barbasol.

On a parallel track, try L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe.

tinkfist

Basenotes Member
Dec 6, 2021
Gray Flannel is a dead ringer for Gillette sensitive skin.

16400080539417055181363257739091.jpg

Edit: Just realized I did not help/answer the OP at all. Sorry Hugh V.

Last edited:

clamnole

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 26, 2015
Tabac Original - and it's only @ $12.

26121551.jpg

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Prada Amber Pour Homme. The shaving cream smell lasts all day and won't go away which is why I actually dislike it.

Reactions: Zgb

d r e

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 24, 2018
Cremo Bourbon Vanilla Shave Cream: Invictus Victory, Eau Duelle EdP. The Body Wash and Shampoo don't smell as similar as the Shave Cream IMO.

Cremo Coconut Tea Tree: Maison Tahité Sel Vanille.

Cremo Silver Water Birch: Creed Silver Mountain Water.

Cremo Sage Citrus: Versace pour Homme.

Supposedly Cremo has some more also.

Nivea Men Maximum Hydration Body Wash: Bleu de Chanel. Smells most like the opening of the Parfum. Not as Grapefruity as the EdP. Basically smells like the general idea of BdC without the nuances.

Axe Dark Temptation: Invictus Victory. Almost like a blend of this and Bourbon Vanilla.

Maui Moisture Vanilla Bean: Indult Tihota, CSP Vanille Extreme. Something in between those. Not as dry as Tihota or as creamy as the CSP.

I haven't tried anything too similar to Barbasol Sensitive or Gillette Foamy that I remember, but I remember one of the Nivea Shaving Creams smelling in the MFK Masculin Pluriel, Sauvage Elixir area.

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
What are your feelings on fragrances in the vicinity of Mont Blanc Legend? I ask because Perry Ellis by Perry Ellis (2017) is kind of in that wheelhouse, but less sweet, smoother, and a bit more “barbershop-ish”. I remember Redneck Perfumisto even likening it to a Bleu de Chanel grooming product in another thread, which seems in line with what you’re looking for. It’s cheap too, so there’s that.

H_West

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 14, 2015
I think I'v been where you are so I totally get it. Great thread. Unfortunately I've not tried Barbasol so I can't really answer your question. CIpresso ti Toscana from ADP gave me a nice shaving foam vibe so hopefully that could be interesting to try.

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
I second the Tabac recommendation—and they make a great shave soap and shower gel as well. I think Azzaro PH is also fabulous and barbershop-y, if you don’t mind the anise top notes. You might also try Jaipur, though it may be a tad too sweet for your tastes. And I used to get a Barbasol aftershave splash that was very good. A lot like Skin Bracer and it didn’t break the bank.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great names already mentioned.

Also adding quite surprisingly perhaps the sea kelp scented shower gel/body wash/both bar and liquid soap range by Imperial Lather being matched in most green/aquatic designer male fragrances from the 90s and 2000s.

Even more surprisingly perhaps, the 8X4 male deodorant spray and body care series is in many ways comparable to initial Boss Bottled, vintage Van Cleef & Arpels PH is quite similar to (sadly mostly discontinued as well) powerhouse scented male shower gels from the 80s and 90s like Caribic and even the Men Expert male body care range by l'Oreal having a scent somehow comparable to the Dior Homme line and especially the regular Dior Homme in terms of soapy powdery iris hints.

Zgb

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 20, 2009
Rive Gauche Pour Homme was awesome and such a shame it's discontinued. Obviously it wasn't selling well. Azzaro Pour Homme is a great classic, even reformulated. Prada Amber Pour Homme might/could be discontinued and it generally goes more into a "soap" direction, but can pass as a "shaving" product. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is very sharp, herbal and feels the most "dated" of all mentioned, but besides that, I think it's great.

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be looking into ordering samples for these EDTs, and maybe blind buy some of the cheaper ones.

Some things that stuck out to me:

Gillette Foam for Sensitive Skin: I just bought this and yes, it smells just like Gray Flannel! I've been wanting a shaving cream to go with that scent, and now I have it. Thanks.

I had Red for Men. I never got a shaving cream/shower gel from it at all. It's like a much spicier version of Preferred Stock. The drydown is much different though, and it's been a while, so maybe I'd have a different opinion now if I tried it.

Rive Gauche I have, but it's just too sweet and heavy for me. "Ambery" dry down makes sense, as I couldn't put my finger on why it didn't click with me. I can understand both, why it was discontinued and why it's missed. It's a niche scent trying to make it in a designer market.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme I have as well. I agree, it's very dated/outdated, but it's one of the cleanest "dirty" old school fragrances I've tried. Great fragrance.

Owen Bawn

Basenotes Member
Oct 18, 2021
If you like those powdery, amber Mediterranean after shaves like Floid or Vitos 'Aftershaving' or a few of the Myrsol offerings you might like Guerlain Heritage in either the EDT or the EDP. Not the same scent, but complementary.

Sloth

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 11, 2019
How about Acqua Di Parma Essenza?
It starts out very fresh and sharp but goes mega soapy for most of it’s very reasonably long life?

Also Creed Original Vetiver although they are both mega soapy, I’m not sure if either is shaving foam soapy. I think however that is very subjective as we all perceive and interpret fragrances differently.

Jul 31, 2014
Hey ! I've been looking for a modern and lighter Drakkar Noir for the past week, something that smells like menthol shaving cream and not dated. I've been lucky to find it on the first try, Dyptique Eau de Minthé. No spice, no excessive lavender.

Last edited:

MisterGrain

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 17, 2017
Nivea Men Rock Salts body wash: Dior Fahrenheit

Suave Men 2 in 1 Hair & Body Wash: Drakkar Noir

Once you get into artisan shaving products, the possibilities are endless. A couple of mass produced ones I know:

Taylor of Old Bond St. Mr. Taylor aftershave: YSL Jazz
Taylor of Old Bond St. Saint Jermyn: Hugo Boss Bottled

Regarding Rive Gauche Pour Homme: get a decant, but if you like it don't chase a bottle. Just get Dua River Fougere; I've got both vintage Rive Gauche Pour Homme (can) and River Fougere, and there is no difference.

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
The new Dior Homme EDT 2020 reminds me of Nivea shaving foam for sensitive skin (the white one).
It was literally the first which popped up in my mind when I tried it when it was released.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Recently stumbled across Barbasol aftershave while shopping online. Exceedingly affordable, like around $5, and of course it has a barbershop vibe. The usual drawback with aftershaves: negligible longevity. Still, a fun addition to any barbershop-oriented collection.

MisterGrain

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 17, 2017
Nivea Men Deep

The scent is officially described as "vanilla & bourbon," but I find its closest to Maison Martin Margiella Replica: Jazz Club.

Any non-green or -blue vanilla dominant scent comes close, really. Even Boss Bottled original is close.

I have yet to delve deep into this scent profile to be absolutely certain. For all I know, there is an exact vanilla-bourbon fragrance it's duping.

d r e

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 24, 2018
Nivea Men Sensitive BW: Versace pour Homme
Arm & Hammer Juniper Berry Deo: Paris Hilton for Men
Herbal Essences Hemp Potent Aloe: Versace Eros
18.21 Spiced Vanilla: Spicebomb
Dove Clean Comfort: Le Male
Myro Chill Wave Deo: IZOD pour Homme

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .