Fragrances that remind of Eau d'Hermes if only a little?

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
RE: Bigarade Concentree comparison, it's a fragrance I'm very familiar with and I've been wearing my new bottle of Eau d'Hermes the past few days. The two wouldn't be mistaken for one another, but I can see a clear lineage. If "dirty citrus" is a family, they are certainly relatives.

Bigarade is more streamlined and focused on the orange with a low hum of spice adding interest and warmth. Eau d'Hermes uses the freshness of citrus more as a foil to play against the animalic spicy underbelly of the perfume. The citrus feels more vague than specific and leans toward bergamot more than orange. And the spices go animalic/bodily whereas I don't think anything in Bigarade could be considered animalic.

I'm sticking to my original assessment that Epice Marine is the closest thing I've smelled to Eau d'Hermes, but for sure there are echoes of EdH to be found throughout Ellena's "middle period" work. His more recent work moves away from this, dropping the spices in favor of bold brush strokes and hyper realism. Super interesting to follow his development!

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Although not identical and in fact only marginally similar at best, also adding (at least among the sampling and/or the retesting options) Voyage d'Hermes.
Both in its EDT and its Parfum versions.

I think this is awesome, precisely because I have not been able to see that marginal similarity, but I have both EdT and parfum, so I will definitely look for the relationships. It is my belief that the Hermes perfumers constantly reference EdH, and I trust your nose, Ken, so I will look for it! Thank you, Ken!

Just got a brand new bottle of Eau d'Hermes today and it's fantastic! That opening is soooo good.

What year is your bottle from? The new one I bought last week was apparently made in 2016.

According to checkfresh.com it's 2020, the code is: 01151

I got it from Selfridges.

I am also on the verge of buying a new bottle, so this is wonderful news. :happy:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
RE: Bigarade Concentree comparison, it's a fragrance I'm very familiar with and I've been wearing my new bottle of Eau d'Hermes the past few days. The two wouldn't be mistaken for one another, but I can see a clear lineage. If "dirty citrus" is a family, they are certainly relatives.

Bigarade is more streamlined and focused on the orange with a low hum of spice adding interest and warmth. Eau d'Hermes uses the freshness of citrus more as a foil to play against the animalic spicy underbelly of the perfume. The citrus feels more vague than specific and leans toward bergamot more than orange. And the spices go animalic/bodily whereas I don't think anything in Bigarade could be considered animalic.

I'm sticking to my original assessment that Epice Marine is the closest thing I've smelled to Eau d'Hermes, but for sure there are echoes of EdH to be found throughout Ellena's "middle period" work. His more recent work moves away from this, dropping the spices in favor of bold brush strokes and hyper realism. Super interesting to follow his development!

Thanks for this! I'm not sure if I gave Epice Marine a sniff or not, but if I did, it was without much thought, and certainly without looking for things like lineage, so I'm definitely going to revisit that one. Thanks!

I do have Bigarde Concentree, so that one gets a revisit, too! :coolold:

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Just got a brand new bottle of Eau d'Hermes today and it's fantastic! That opening is soooo good.

According to checkfresh.com it's 2020, the code is: 01151

I got it from Selfridges.

Congrats! Current Eau d'Hermes is stunning. Only a trained nose used to the various verions might notice some minimal differences by sticking the nose on the skin when doing a side-by-side comparison. In other words: no worth spending big money on for who has to make choices.

On top of that, citruses are an important player in Eau d'Hermes, and the fading of such notes with time are not worth the risk imo. (citrus fading is probably why people say that vintage Eau d'Hermes is 'rounder, better', but that's not Eau d'Hermes, that's a decaying Eau d'Hermes). Better buy a current bottle, or at least not older than 10 years.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Congrats! Current Eau d'Hermes is stunning. Only a trained nose used to the various verions might notice some minimal differences by sticking the nose on the skin when doing a side-by-side comparison. In other words: no worth spending big money on for who has to make choices.

On top of that, citruses are an important player in Eau d'Hermes, and the fading of such notes with time are not worth the risk imo. (citrus fading is probably why people say that vintage Eau d'Hermes is 'rounder, better', but that's not Eau d'Hermes, that's a decaying Eau d'Hermes). Better buy a current bottle, or at least not older than 10 years.

Excellent point about fresh citruses!

Latest News