Fragrances that remind of Eau d'Hermes if only a little?

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Nothing is similar to Eau d'Hermes but so far I found some qualities in newer Bel Ami formulations, Eau Sauvage, Habit Rouge edt and Héritage that remind me just a little of Eau d'Hermes, even though they're not at all similar.

There's of course Déclaration but the connection is well known so no need to mention.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I don't really think Declaration and Eau d'Hermes are all that similar. Montale's Black Aoud & Terenzi's Gold Rose Oudh are similar -- the Hermes and the Cartier just utilize similar elements. Out of everything I've tried I'd have to repeat what you said and go with Eau Sauvage, but even then hardly it's just because it's Roudnitska. Eau d'Hermes is unique in a sea of copy cats, even 70 years after its release.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I realize nothing is really similar but I'll take even a very faint resemblance which I get from current Bel Ami and Habit Rouge's drydown.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
It has been said before, but Epice Marine really feels like Ellena's hommage to Eau d'Hermes. In fact, I'd argue much of the house style that Ellena established at Hermes is founded on Eau d''Hermes, if not in smell then at least in construction.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
It has been said before, but Epice Marine really feels like Ellena's hommage to Eau d'Hermes. In fact, I'd argue much of the house style that Ellena established at Hermes is founded on Eau d''Hermes, if not in smell then at least in construction.

I fall into this camp. I see a lot of references back to EdH, or parallel references to the "Hermes style" that I feel Roudnitska was capturing. Am I seeing too much? Maybe. Part of my enjoyment! :wink:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Nothing is similar to Eau d'Hermes but so far I found some qualities in newer Bel Ami formulations, Eau Sauvage, Habit Rouge edt and Héritage that remind me just a little of Eau d'Hermes, even though they're not at all similar.

There's of course Déclaration but the connection is well known so no need to mention.

I'm like you describe. I'm reminded of Eau d'Hermes by a lot of things - or actually the reverse. Once I smelled EdH, I began to see a lot of small connections to later fragrances. I don't really mind if those perceived connections are real, imaginary, conscious, subconscious, accidental, intended or unintended - they're just enjoyable to me.

Kind of funny - I just wrote a piece on this topic, testing the software on the new site. We are definitely in the spooky part of the Matrix now! :wink:

Matrix_Cat_With_Tie.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
One oddball connection that is nearly imaginary for me is the new Rochas Moustache Original 1949 EdT. Am I over-thinking the Roudnitska connection on a fragrance which is likely at least one perfumer away by now? I love that new EdT formulation - it has a very "modern retro" feel to me. While any old Roudnitska-era funkiness is clearly gone, there is just a little bit of skank there if you spray it big, which I do before taking a walk, which then really heats it up. Together with the "cologne vibe", there is something very vague that reminds me of EdH. I get a kind of "ghost of Roudnitska in the machine" experience which pleases me!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Considering how much I love Eau d'Hermes, it's shocking that I've still never sniffed Epice Marine. I really must correct that.

ELd'O Je suis un Homme by Antoine Lie

Yeah, there's definitely some family resemblance there. ^^

This is going to sound out of left field, but I think vintage Eau de Patou feels a bit like a cologne version of Eau d'Hermes. It has quite a lot of that "dirty/pretty" thing going on with the citrus, but without the spice element.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Question.....I've never smelled Eau d'Hermes, but I would like to, considering the glowing comments it receives from so many here.

However, I've noticed consistent statements that say Declaration is very similar to it.

If I really dislike Declaration (primarily the opening), should I even bother to sample Eau d'Hermes?

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Question.....I've never smelled Eau d'Hermes, but I would like to, considering the glowing comments it receives from so many here.

However, I've noticed consistent statements that say Declaration is very similar to it.

If I really dislike Declaration (primarily the opening), should I even bother to sample Eau d'Hermes?

At the very least, it's worth trying the copper-top vintage in your case. I think you might still like it. You will probably enjoy clear-cap and black-cap less. They're a bit more like Declaration.

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
Epice Marine and Declaration to a degree, yes. To me the dirty spicy citrus of Bigarade Concentree is also Ellena's homage to Eau d'Hermes. And as a scent I very much prefer it to Epice Marine.

I happen to think that vintage Eau d'Hermes is the best fragrance ever created and that deep down Ellena, too, knows this. :)

Oh, and very little known fragrance from Odori, called Gli Odori, reminded me of Eau d'Hermes. But that had vegetal dirtyness instead of animalic.

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
Redraider, copper cap (or older) version is very unique and the connection to Declaration is more intellectual than anything else. It's an amazing fragrance and I wouldn't worry about these comparisons. I never wear Declaration.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I'm like you describe. I'm reminded of Eau d'Hermes by a lot of things - or actually the reverse. Once I smelled EdH, I began to see a lot of small connections to later fragrances. I don't really mind if those perceived connections are real, imaginary, conscious, subconscious, accidental, intended or unintended - they're just enjoyable to me.

Kind of funny - I just wrote a piece on this topic, testing the software on the new site. We are definitely in the spooky part of the Matrix now! :wink:

View attachment 161846

Yes that's exactly what I mean! What scents have those little connections for you?

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016

This is interesting. Interest peaked lately with EDH. Cumin and animalics ( from hearsay :)) made me cautious.
Now this relationship with Declaration has me warmed up again!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Epice Marine and Declaration to a degree, yes. To me the dirty spicy citrus of Bigarade Concentree is also Ellena's homage to Eau d'Hermes. And as a scent I very much prefer it to Epice Marine.

I happen to think that vintage Eau d'Hermes is the best fragrance ever created and that deep down Ellena, too, knows this. :)

If we've learned anything in this thread, it's that Ellena paid a lot of tribute to Eau d'Hermes. :)

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013

I dislike Declaration and LOVE Eau d'Hermes, so don't worry about this at all. They are nothing alike.

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009

I was going to suggest Bigarade Concentrée too - wearable for me. Several of Ellena's pieces of work since Declaration lean too heavily in the cumin direction for me, I'm afraid - it's a note I just can't stand.

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
Personally I didn't find Bigarade Concentree to be very similar to Eau d'Hermes the one time that I tried it.

Grab a bottle then . . . doesn't hurt to spend a little time with something the perfumer (Ellena) and creative director (Malle) have laboured over before you throw out dismissive comments based on one try?

A drive by in a Malle boutique ?

What a joke.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I didn't want to make a laundry list as I'd be repeating myself but a whole lot of fragrances including Bigarade Concetree are similar to Eau d'Hermes. Obviously they all smell different, but they are all different interpretations and extensions of the same idea of citrus, spice (typically cumin and/or cardamom) and some leather or woods - same lineage that goes back to Eau d'Hermes.

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
I didn't want to make a laundry list as I'd be repeating myself but a whole lot of fragrances including Bigarade Concetree are similar to Eau d'Hermes. Obviously they all smell different, but they are all different interpretations and extensions of the same idea of citrus, spice (typically cumin and/or cardamom) and some leather or woods - same lineage that goes back to Eau d'Hermes.

Thank you :)

Clearly there are people here who have no idea of the history / legacy of the original or the many, many variations Ellena (who has chronicled his meeting with Roudnistka on occasions) has dipped into over the last few decades.

See my whatever it's called below for the guy who 'tried it once' and dissed Bigarrade Concentree as not being 'similar'. I drop back in here occasionally and still seem to see the same ignorance and lack of the ability to discuss anything beyond a half sentence from so many people . . . ignorance is bliss, I guess :)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Grab a bottle then . . . doesn't hurt to spend a little time with something the perfumer (Ellena) and creative director (Malle) have laboured over before you throw out dismissive comments based on one try?

A drive by in a Malle boutique ?

What a joke.

See my whatever it's called below for the guy who 'tried it once' and dissed Bigarrade Concentree as not being 'similar'. I drop back in here occasionally and still seem to see the same ignorance and lack of the ability to discuss anything beyond a half sentence from so many people . . . ignorance is bliss, I guess :)

What are you talking about? Why are you making the assumption that my comment was "dismissive" or a "diss" to the fragrance itself? I actually quite liked Bigarade Concentree and thought it was a joy to wear. All I said was I didn't find it very similar to Eau d'Hermes. With a name like yours, you should understand that an art form as subjective as perfumery is bound to have people interpreting scents in different ways. That you act like your opinion is objective truth, and how you are dismissive of dissent, is the real joke.

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
What are you talking about? Why are you making the assumption that my comment was "dismissive" or a "diss" to the fragrance itself? I actually quite liked Bigarade Concentree and thought it was a joy to wear. All I said was I didn't find it very similar to Eau d'Hermes. With a name like yours, you should understand that an art form as subjective as perfumery is bound to have people interpreting scents in different ways. That you act like your opinion is objective truth, and how you are dismissive of dissent, is the real joke.

Fair enough.

It's all subjective and the question was about 'similar'. Ellena has a whole string of citrus / cumin based things across several brands that owe a nod to the original and my comment on BC was simply that in that, IMO, he had hit a perfect balance (i.e. I would pay money for it, and have done).

Your initial comment struck me as dismissive - "tried it once" . . .

If you liked it, fine. But why not say so? It's (IMO) part of the Eau d'Hermes 'legacy' and worth consideration, discussion, whatever. I own Declaration from years ago, Epices Marine (not actually solely Ellena - he cooked that one up in discussion with a friend who I understand mentioned 'whisky' along with the coastal image) etc. etc.

I don't come here a lot but, being a boring old fart, I guess I value conversation more than 'one liners' - sorry if I misjudged you based on your initial comment. Onwards and upwards.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I think it could be the juxtaposition of citrus notes against those vintage style dry downs (even in modern formulations).

Etruscan Water, Grimoire - these two have a faint resemblance.

I don;t get citrus in EW. EW is mostly (in order of apperance) petitgrain, JASMINE, musk and moss. Eau d'Hermes is mostly citrus, SPICES, cardamom, leather. (in capital the main player for each)
Eau d'Hermes is my #1 scent, but I cannot spot any similarities with Etruscan Water. (the lemon-y facet of petitgrain vs citrus maybe? but that would make it similar with another 10,000 frags..)

Jicky EDT reminds me slightly of Eau d'Hermes.

I was going to suggest Bigarade Concentrée too - wearable for me. Several of Ellena's pieces of work since Declaration lean too heavily in the cumin direction for me, I'm afraid - it's a note I just can't stand.

ELd'O Je suis un Homme by Antoine Lie

It depends what limits one puts to the word 'similar'. If a vetiver note is enough to call a fragrance similar to, then there are 1,000 fragrances similar to Guerlain Vetiver. If we talk about the olfactory profile (citrus, nutmeg, tobacco, vetiver), well, only a few are somewhat similar.

Same for Eau d'Hermes. If a dirty citrus is enough to call it similar, then 1,000 fragrances are similar to it, including the 3/4 listed here. But if the olfactory profile (citrus, cumin/caraway, cardamom/leather) is taken into consideration to call it similar, then, imho, the list is very short:

Some similarities:

Diptyque - L'Autre
Houbigant - Cologne Intense
Hermes - Epice Marine
S.T.Dupont - Pour Homme

More remotely:
Cartier - Declaration
Lancetti - Monsieur

That's pretty much all what I would say share similarities, even if none of these are properly 'similar'.

I haven't found anything that reminds me of Eau d'Hermes.

Reminds me? Yes a few, for me, but only similarities. That give me as much pleasure as Eau d'Hermes? None.

Last edited:

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

Probably not. If it was only a like, I'd say yes, Eau d'Hermes might be a love. But if you 'really dislike' Declaration's opening (that is: citrus and cumin), well, I don't think EdH will work for you, because these are the two main players.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Nothing is similar to Eau d'Hermes but so far I found some qualities in newer Bel Ami formulations.

Just got a recent formulation of Bel Ami today and the spice notes that hit me reminded me of Eau d'Hermes.

Also agree that nothing is really overall akin to Eau d'Hermes. I think most people in the thread are noting particular components.

I think Eau d'Hermes is a masterpiece, but it sure ain't for everyone.

Latest posts

Latest News