Fragrances only you like

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Although BN wardrobes and contributors are so diverse that even the most obscure fragrances will eventually show up and even be passionately discussed as well as enjoyed, still trying to think about some that get less likes and/or are more obscure.
Among the ones do like that might qualify for this category, mentioning especially Revlon Fire & Ice, Lancetti Uomo including its Concentree flanker, several Marberts, Azzaro Visit, John Player's Soecial Classic Green, among others.

seekritdude

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 17, 2012
Some that come to mind that maybe aren't disliked per se but don't seem to be popular. From By Kilian I always liked Light My Fire way more than Back to Black. I also like Noir Aphrodisiac. Hell I even thought Amber oud smelled good in its own way. On that note are all 3 of those even discontinued now?

From Xerjoff, don't really care about Naxos myself and always thought Commandante smelled better.

Anyway those 3 err 4 stick out to me, as fragrances that I don't see "normal" people really talk about as liking or fragrance people.

FOXHOUND

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 14, 2022
I think the most divisive fragrance I have that I like is Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir Intense.

I can understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone though, as It's a challenging one for sure.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
The one that comes to mind first for me is Memo Italian Leather. I know I'm not the ONLY one that likes it, but it does seem there aren't many.

The house of Memo itself doesn't seem to have many fans here, save for me and hednic.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Although it comes up once in awhile, I feel like I'm one of the few to wear and enjoy the Comme des Garcons "Eau de Parfum" (it is unnamed making it even harder to discuss).
375x500.14023.jpg

I also sometimes feel like I'm the only fraghead fan of Le Labo Neroli 36, although I think it has its fans among the commoners. It smells very unnatural but it is an essential summer happy scent for me.

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
I don't remember anyone ever recommending Hugo Boss Soul - but I own and like it... And the wife loves it on me.

Tom Ford - Cafe Rose is another than seems to have been widely ignored that I really like

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
From By Kilian I always liked Light My Fire way more than Back to Black.

I thought about mentioning Light My Fire here. Agree 100%. It almost seems like a completely forgotten Kilian fragrance.
I always thought Light My Fire was interesting, but, as with the rest of the Kilians, I never got around to getting a bottle.

growly

Apr 23, 2018
I'm sure people like it, but Serge Lutens' Veilleur de Nuit isn't exactly raved about (probably because of the price and it having been discontinued)

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Chic For Men by Carolina Herrera

Hardly ever gets spoken about on here. A distinctive Oriental Spicy Woody with an aquatic watermelon top, throw in some tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, amber and cardamom and you start to get an idea of its personality. Quite a playful one and a precursor to fragrances like D&G The One and YSL La Nuit but with a little suttin’ suttin’ that neither of these have.
A victim of reformulation but reachworthy and enjoyable even now.

RCavs

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 13, 2004
People usually don't like most of my vintage/classic stuff, but there's always a good samaritan that appreciate at least one of them, so It's hard to say there's one nobody likes.

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
So both Just for Me, and Paris Hilton for Men are pretty good?? I saw both at the discounters but passed. I might have to blind buy them if the price is right.

Grey Flannel has the worst reputation in the YouTube "fragcom" but I honestly can't see how. It's just a really pleasant scent that smells clean, green, and cool. It's my own sleeper hit, because while I don't wear it often or even think about it much, every time I wear it, it puts me in a good mood. Even in reformulation--outside the harsher opening--the dry down is pretty much the same as older formulations.

JV Artisan Acqua
For some reason this is one of the least talked about JV fragrances, and yet, it's a masterpiece in capturing the style of classic men's perfumery from the 70s and 80s, but making it more wearable for modern times.

Mr. Fine's American Blend
I guess at one point I was a little ashamed to admit that I actually like the flat, simple scent profile of the top and middle of this fragrance. It's very green, and I've likened it in the past to the smell of a men's hair product. Yet, I just like the smell. Kind of like when you're a kid, and you shouldn't like the smell of gasoline but you still do for some reason. Rive Gauche is a far more elegant and sophisticated scent, but I miss my bottle of AB much more.

seekritdude

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 17, 2012
Heres some more from me, some using the topic title a little more loosely than others to distinguish the idea of maybe "normal" people to fragrance junkies in some cases...

Close up from Olfactive Studio. Ive always been a cherry tobacco kinda dude more so than a honey. I definitely feel like this is one I woulda bought myself had it come out earlier in my fragrance journey but by the time I finally smelled it I already had spent so much money on fragrances and was so far along that its hard to justify. But admitedly its just the kinda stuff I like. Dont see it talked about often if almost any at all..

A couple of insane compliment getters for normal people ive sung their praises many times but I dont think they ever truly caught on fragcom wise is Guess Seductive, and CK Reveal. Both not something I wear anymore as admittedly they just arent super me, but man, day day to tons of compliments from normal if you will people. For what its worth I actually think CK Reveal smells pretty unique all things considered.

And a like perhaps but forgotten, I almost NEVER EVER here anyone talk about Dulcis in Fundo anymore. And on that note Montales Sweet Vanilla since they are very similar. HUGE HUGE compliment getters for me as well. Maybe to boring for fragcom so people forgot about them, but I love sweet scents, and even girls who tell me they hate super sweet fragrances on guys, have complimented me on these telling me how much they love how I smell. Examples very rarely I have met some girls who dont like By KIlians love because its to sweet, but dulcis in fundo/montale sweet vanilla is a love on a guy.

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Gucci Guilty EDP. I blew through a bottle and need another. My family loves it and it’s the one rose scent I find beautiful.

Latest News