Fragrance that smells like the inside of an acoustic guitar?

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I'd be interested to find one too. The ones that I've tried from Comme de Garcons - several of which are mentioned in this thread - I find too sweet, dense and perhaps not "dusty"/"raw" enough to fit the bill. Same goes for Tam Dao EdT: it smells like a perfume (surprisingly! :D), not real wood and it's quite sweet.
Curious which CDG you've tried, I can't say I've ever smelled something sweet in a CDG fragrance and I tend to think of them as quite dry and transparent. They often have quite punchy openings, but the dry down is never dense or heavy. But like Toxicon said, I know this is all quite subjective so not calling your experience wrong.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Cosigning on Bowmakers and CDG Palisander as really good recommendations.

I'd add Hinoki to your CDG to try list which includes a turpentine note which could be reminiscent of the varnish smell you get with a guitar. I remember my parents had a very old acoustic guitar kept down in the basement, and I get a similar musty woody smell from Chanel Bois des Isles, but there's also a lot of other things going on in this fragrance. Along the same lines I like the Egoiste recommendation from Sheik as well.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
Curious which CDG you've tried, I can't say I've ever smelled something sweet in a CDG fragrance and I tend to think of them as quite dry and transparent. They often have quite punchy openings, but the dry down is never dense or heavy. But like Toxicon said, I know this is all quite subjective so not calling your experience wrong.
Kyoto and Hinoki were mentioned and I distinctly remember thinking both were on the sweet side. Whereas Zagorsk (which I own) and Artek spring to mind as non-sweet woody CdG's. Mind you, the number CdG's I've smelled must be less than ten in total.

Anyway, the sweetness comment was in reference to the acoustic guitar smell. It's not like sweet = bad. Actually, I came close to buying both Kyoto and Hinoki and I currently own CdG Black, which to me smells quite sweet also (although in a different way).

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
Always fascinates me how differently we perceive these things, in particular what makes a scent "sweet". Tam Dao is bone dry to my nose; the sandalwood note is creamy and softened by some light musk, but I don't get any sweetness. (Unlike something like Egoiste, which strikes me as a warmer, semi-sweet take on sandalwood due to the synth amber in the base of the modern version and the ambrette seed in the vintage.). As I often say, noses are weird!

Might not be to your taste, but if you've only tried Tam Dao EDT, you might prefer the EDP, which is much sharper and stronger. I notice more cypress in the EDT and the soft musky vibe and faint hint of rose makes it feel more unisex; the EDP has more of the "raw" wood character you mentioned. Feels like a cedar 2x4 to the face if you spray heavily.

(Side note: excellent Aickman avatar. I love those Faber reissues!)

Hey, a fellow Aickman fan, that's awesome! 🥳

I've sampled Tam Dao EdP too and didn't really get along with it, whereas the EdT I enjoyed enough to buy a bottle. The "problem" is, I can only spray it once (which I usually do anyway these days) and far away from the nose, beneath chest level. Otherwise it tends to get cloying. Amouage Memoir Man is another I have to approach with similar caution. It may very well be the dustiness instead of sweetness, or perhaps a bit of both?

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Ordered a sample of this and it’s very very close. I’m going to try the DS & Durga Bowmaker one still, but this is already close enough.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Curious what you’ll think of Bowmakers. To me it smells more like Jenga blocks than anything else. Not a bad thing, I loved playing with those as a kid just for the wood smell. But it’s sharper than what I associate with a guitar.

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .