Fragrance that smells like the inside of an acoustic guitar?

ScentMemory

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 26, 2013
DS & Durga Bowmakers, inspired by the making of violins:

"Amongst the transcendental woods of the 1800s, craftsmen from the Massachusetts Bay Colony built violins & bows in the tiny towns of the Pioneer Valley. The shops were riddled with old growth mahogany, burled maple shavings, amber pine rosin, aged walnut & their unique secret varnishes."

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
DS & Durga Bowmakers, inspired by the making of violins:

"Amongst the transcendental woods of the 1800s, craftsmen from the Massachusetts Bay Colony built violins & bows in the tiny towns of the Pioneer Valley. The shops were riddled with old growth mahogany, burled maple shavings, amber pine rosin, aged walnut & their unique secret varnishes."
That’s a great suggestion.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Depending on the guitar materials used you could maybe start with fragrances that list notes of spruce, maple, cedar, mahogany, sapele, koa or rosewood. There are many others that could also give an effect. And of course, dust.

Chanel Egoiste sometimes brings to mind a semblance of the sweet woody smell of an acoustic guitar scent.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Depending on the guitar materials used you could maybe start with fragrances that list notes of spruce, maple, cedar, mahogany, sapele, koa or rosewood. There are many others that could also give an effect. And of course, dust.

Chanel Egoiste sometimes brings to mind a semblance of the sweet woody smell of an acoustic guitar scent.
Came here to mention Egoiste. In the past I've described the central accord as the scent of a freshly oiled rosewood fingerboard. Also, the scent memory when you open a plush-lined case and catch the first whiff of a well-maintained vintage instrument. It smells like wood, some kind of hesperidic furniture polish, and a faint whiff of tobacco (the instrument has seen the inside of a few clubs in its day). Egoiste doesn't have a cedar accord per se, but I get mahogany and a prominent rosewood (alongside creamy sandalwood, warm spices, a light rose note and a bit of citrus sparkle in the opening). One of my favorites: modern is very good, vintage is unreal.

That said, I think a lot of dry, unadorned wood scents might get you in the general vicinity. Tam Dao for sure (sandalwood, cedar, cypress) or the similar but more overtly synthetic Wonderwood or Wonderoud. Also, some of the lighter woody incense scents might get you in the zone: things like CdG Kyoto or Hinoki, maybe even Azzaro Visit (glorious cheapie that dries down to a big dry cedar note).

L'Aventurier

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
Palisander by Comme des Garcons is based on Brazilian Rosewood, which I hear they make guitars with. I recall multiple members of BN confirming that it smells like a guitar (but can't confirm if it would resemble a cedar and mahogany one). Anyway, might be worth sampling for fun.

Rock72

Apr 30, 2019
Different types of spruce, mahogany, rosewood, maple…. All used deprnding on the guitar. I would be interested to know if anyone successfully has recreated the requested smell. Cool question by OP

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
What about something like Hermes Epice Marine? The notes (spices and rum) and name would have you think this is something sort of bay-rum-ish, but I mostly get the feeling of lacquered boards.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, any dry woods should get you close (perhaps try Santal 33). I just think you need that sort of “glue and lacquer” smell to really capture the essence of what you’re looking for.

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
electric-wood-eau-de-parfum.jpg

Room 1015's Electric Wood:
A woody fragrance straight out of a guitar case, with powerful notes of cedar and powdery Iris notes. I will always remember the day i got my first guitar. I was 12 years old, It was a Gibson. I was struck by its smell, like an unique mix of wood, lacquer and metal… I think the perfume ELECTRIC WOOD was born that day.” Dr. Mike

The guitar case opens with a shudder to reveal its composed clutter: the electric shock of lacquered wood and the metallic slap of tight strings. (AMBROXAN for the punch of wood and an overdose of CEDAR for a noble touch…). The sweat of overheated, mistreated wood (OAK WOOD and HYDROCARBORESIN for a sensual thrash). Late-night ash, a cloud of air, an injection of the past right into the veins (IRIS and NUTMEG for their dust-powder aspect).

Here is a fragrance actually specifically designed to smell like a guitar. The orris butter fits is quite nice and reminiscent of the orris butter in Bois d'Argent.

Last edited:

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
True, but it's hard to wade through all that aquatic/freshie nonsense that leads up to it.
Interesting - despite the color, I don’t pick up those notes. For me (sniffing a recent bottle of the pour homme), it’s mostly incense, nutmeg, pepper, and the big cedar dry down. There’s some sweetness and obvious synthetics, but it works for me.

Dec 9, 2021
Give CB I Hate Perfumes Cedarwood Tea a try. Most realistic cedar note that's close to an acoustic guitar, imo. As others have mentioned, I own DS Bowmaker's, and while it's pretty spot on violin varnish with dry woody notes, it suspect it probably isn't what you're looking for.

Mistertaz

Dec 15, 2010
Definitely try Diptyque Tam Dao EDT. I think that would fit your criteria.

Maybe also Penhaligons Opus 1870, CDG Wonderwood, and CDG Hinoki.

If you don’t mind some orange, Terre d’Hermes EDT might also give you that vibe in the dry down.

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
Yes to Bowmakers. I'm a bassist who played ballet and opera for years. I did the Luckyscent fragrance fitting, telling them I was looking for something that smelt like bass rosin, cedar pencil shavings, and wet cigar. Bowmakers was their top pick. I went for the full bottle. I retired decades ago, and it is so evocative.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
+1 for Bowmakers and Bois du Portugal - wouldn't have made the connection but sniffing my bottle now it does have a bit of that warm, dusty guitar smell.

Surprised no one has mentioned Oh, ooOoh... oh by Miller et Bertaux. It's actually supposed to smell like the inside of an acoustic guitar, and it really has that woody-sweet treated wood smell. It's been a while since I sampled it but I was pretty surprised how spot-on the accord was.

Melvournis

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 10, 2011
I had Miller and Berteaux on my mind the while reading this thread but could not remember the title. There is an exquisite dryness in the M&B DNA that suits the criteria.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
I'd be interested to find one too. The ones that I've tried from Comme de Garcons - several of which are mentioned in this thread - I find too sweet, dense and perhaps not "dusty"/"raw" enough to fit the bill. Same goes for Tam Dao EdT: it smells like a perfume (surprisingly! :D), not real wood and it's quite sweet.

Vitamin D

Jan 8, 2021
electric-wood-eau-de-parfum.jpg

Room 1015's Electric Wood:

Here is a fragrance actually specifically designed to smell like a guitar. The orris butter fits is quite nice and reminiscent of the orris butter in Bois d'Argent.

Ordered a sample of this and it’s very very close. I’m going to try the DS & Durga Bowmaker one still, but this is already close enough.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I'd be interested to find one too. The ones that I've tried from Comme de Garcons - several of which are mentioned in this thread - I find too sweet, dense and perhaps not "dusty"/"raw" enough to fit the bill. Same goes for Tam Dao EdT: it smells like a perfume (surprisingly! :D), not real wood and it's quite sweet.
Always fascinates me how differently we perceive these things, in particular what makes a scent "sweet". Tam Dao is bone dry to my nose; the sandalwood note is creamy and softened by some light musk, but I don't get any sweetness. (Unlike something like Egoiste, which strikes me as a warmer, semi-sweet take on sandalwood due to the synth amber in the base of the modern version and the ambrette seed in the vintage.). As I often say, noses are weird!

Might not be to your taste, but if you've only tried Tam Dao EDT, you might prefer the EDP, which is much sharper and stronger. I notice more cypress in the EDT and the soft musky vibe and faint hint of rose makes it feel more unisex; the EDP has more of the "raw" wood character you mentioned. Feels like a cedar 2x4 to the face if you spray heavily.

(Side note: excellent Aickman avatar. I love those Faber reissues!)

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
Ordered a sample of this and it’s very very close. I’m going to try the DS & Durga Bowmaker one still, but this is already close enough.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I would be curious if you could do a comparison between both as I'm also into this kind of thing.

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .