Fragrance Shipping - Uk To Abroad ??? | Basenotes

Fragrance Shipping - Uk To Abroad ???

david

Jun 7, 2005
I had given up dealing with UK sellers on ebay because of the draconian UK/ Royal Mail rules. However I now see that most sellers will ship overseas from the UK. Not just professional shops, but also private individual sellers.
Have the UK restrictions regarding sending perfumes changed recently ?
When I visited the UK about 4 years ago I was cross-questioned for every parcel I sent...gestapo style.

I'm puzzled that suddenly sellers can ship from the UK. I asked one UK seller to double check that it was allowed and they sent me a link to Royal Mail, but I am still not convinced...and with UK being outside the EU there will be more controls than ever due to customs duty on goods from UK abroad.

Thanks for any updates on the situation.

...and what is my situation if I pay with paypal and the parcel gets confiscated ???

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Yes, there weren't big problems sending fragrance to the EU up until January of this year. I did it a few times with bottles I sold.

It's now much trickier posting overseas and I'm surprised that people are offering overseas postage NOW. I don't quite know why.

Maestro27

Jan 24, 2021
This is also a concern of mine. I want to purchase from Selfridges due to the amount of savings compared to the U.S. I am wondering if I will run into issues if I order during this time more so than before?

Blizzard

Jul 5, 2017
In 2020, I ordered 5 different packages from Selfridges (4 during the pandemic) that were delivered to me in the US without incident. My last order of 2020 was placed on December 24, and it was delivered to me on January 13 (not too bad considering international shipping, the holidays, and the pandemic).

Maestro27

Jan 24, 2021
I just placed my order for TF FF in 250 ML from Selfridges. Projected delivery date here in AZ is Feb 7th. #Newbie

Trebor

Apr 8, 2006
It's still possible to ship to and from the UK, but it's more expensive and a bigger headache.

Personally, I've decided to sit on the sidelines and see how things develop this year.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Personally, I've decided to sit on the sidelines and see how things develop this year.

Exactly my approach. The pandemic and Brexit means we're in a world of who knows what. Better to let others be the test dummies when it comes to finding out issues with posting abroad. I have a guitar I want to sell but my last experience with posting to France was an absolute nightmare, the courier didn't deliver the package for 3 months and then eventually a further 2 months later it ended up back with me having been battered around. The buyer says he never even received a knock on the door from the courier and this was at the height of the pandemic when we were all at home.

With the pound as weak as it is, too, it's a buyer''s market in the UK.

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
Try living in Norther Ireland. We are still part of.the UK but.also inthe.EU under good et . Many companies will not.ship.to us as.forms.must.be completed and one full stop.wrong not coming. John Lewis and other stores will.not ship.to.us eBay sellers no longer shipping Amazon many items a no.

I am going.to.order from Killan UK mid week and.they still have shipping to N.I onthere site so hope I can get.my bottle.og Angel's Share?

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I had given up dealing with UK sellers on ebay because of the draconian UK/ Royal Mail rules. However I now see that most sellers will ship overseas from the UK. Not just professional shops, but also private individual sellers.
Have the UK restrictions regarding sending perfumes changed recently ?
When I visited the UK about 4 years ago I was cross-questioned for every parcel I sent...gestapo style.

I'm puzzled that suddenly sellers can ship from the UK. I asked one UK seller to double check that it was allowed and they sent me a link to Royal Mail, but I am still not convinced...and with UK being outside the EU there will be more controls than ever due to customs duty on goods from UK abroad.

I think the responses above mine have confused things slightly. So, I'm going to try to help out here.

1. Those ordering from the larger department stores like Selfridges have like always been able to ship from the UK and may even continue to do so. They clearly have contracts with the larger couriers that can ship "hazardous" goods like fragrances (I don't agree with this categorisation, but for the sake of simplicity, that's the term I'm using).

2. In terms ordering from an eBay seller based in the UK, which is what you are asking, I am not aware that the rules have necessarily changed regarding posting. In my experience, an eBay seller can use eBay's own Global Shipping Programme. The seller posts the sold item to a UK address which then eBay is responsible for forwarding (somehow) to the international destination. I am not aware of what method eBay use to do this but it has worked in the past. Not for fragrances though. It is possible to ship fragrances using a relatively inexpensive courier from the UK, at least it was possible in 2020. Couriers like these (mostly Hermes & DPD) officially state that they do not ship perfumes or alcohol products, but in practice they have allowed them through. Royal Mail as far as I am aware is a no-go in terms of posting out from the UK, but receiving from abroad has never been a problem.

I hope this helps!

stuartb

Oct 12, 2019
FWIW... E.B Global shipping programme works very well for accepted items.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I’m considering using a forwarding service such as Forward2Me or SkyPax to purchase a fragrance from eBay UK to the US. Anyone have any experience with this?

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
FWIW... E.B Global shipping programme works very well for accepted items.

I have to agree. Only used it a few times but it was a positive experience each time. Shame they don't accept fragrances though...

I’m considering using a forwarding service such as Forward2Me or SkyPax to purchase a fragrance from eBay UK to the US. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd be interested in hearing more about such services as well.

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
I've purchased from UK/Roja in the past , and had no issues .
As it stands , it would seem they still ship to the US .
coped&pasted
Delivery locations
If your country is not shown, due to import restrictions we may not be able to deliver to your country at present.
If your country is not shown and you would like a quote for delivery please contact us here.
Applicable delivery costs are shown with 2 prices: the first for an order with a total volume of fragrance of up to and including 30ml; the second for orders greater than that.
All orders with a value of £190 ($245) or greater are delivered free of charge.
Shipping cost to the US is $20 .
Here's Roja's shipping link ;
https://rojaparfums.com/shipping
I used to be part of Roja's Elite Club.
Not sure if that exists anymore.
Got free stuff from Roja . Mainly 7.5's , and that was with no orders.
It was awesome.
I just got on their mailing list again.
They will offer very nice discounts every so often.

I've bought from Amouage in the past from the UK.
It looks like they still offer shipping to the US.

I am going to get on Selfridges mailing list.
I am on Jovay's .I get email updates often.
MMMM, just got an email from Jovay .
Checked a couple things out , one interesting thing.
Shipping info
DELIVERY TO THE UK IS AVAILABLE TILL DECEMBER 28TH. AFTER THAT DATE WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHIP ANYMORE. PLEASE SHOP ON JOVOYPARIS.UK

I know that some of the smaller independent UK boutiques etc,
won't let you ship certain sizes of perfume , but will allow other beauty products to be shipped.

I know that Australia won't let you ship certain sizes , but you can get 30 mls of TNRP ,,
along with their samples etc.

Not sure if any of this info added anything to this thread , but if it did, cool.

Last edited:

saminlondon

Aug 25, 2011
I am on Jovay's .I get email updates often.
MMMM, just got an email from Jovay .
Checked a couple things out , one interesting thing.
Shipping info
DELIVERY TO THE UK IS AVAILABLE TILL DECEMBER 28TH. AFTER THAT DATE WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHIP ANYMORE. PLEASE SHOP ON JOVOYPARIS.UK

That's because they have a branch in the UK they're encouraging people based in the UK to use. It's unlikely to affect shipments to the US.

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Quite right. They even explain this on a banner on their homepage if you access the French website from the UK.

Oh, ok.
Didn't see the banner.
I thought maybe it was something, because of the stores in close proximity in the Emirates.
Thank you.

jal123

Apr 9, 2020
i ordered some samples from uk samples back in December. They were dispatched on 5th Jan,heading for Spain where i live.I was notified i had to pay duty for them ,which i did with paypal.They are still waiting clearance!!!!!!!!!!.Ithink this is with dpd.
Bought from this supplier before with no problems.

saminlondon

Aug 25, 2011
i ordered some samples from uk samples back in December. They were dispatched on 5th Jan,heading for Spain where i live.I was notified i had to pay duty for them ,which i did with paypal.They are still waiting clearance!!!!!!!!!!.Ithink this is with dpd.

This is not the supplier's fault, but one of the many effects of Brexit. People are still getting their head around the full implications, but it seems clear that anyone in the EU ordering goods from the UK will have to pay VAT (and possibly duty) plus associated handling costs - and vice versa.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011

This is not the supplier's fault, but one of the many effects of Brexit. People are still getting their head around the full implications, but it seems clear that anyone in the EU ordering goods from the UK will have to pay VAT (and possibly duty) plus associated handling costs - and vice versa.

Yes I agree. I'm not blaming the supplier.

Gents, not sure if you've seen this thread regarding perfume shipping and Brexit. I started it with the intention of gathering a list of non-UK stores that have either changed or varied their shipping prices/policies, return policies and tax collection policies.

Happy to have your contributions in there if you have an experience to share, etc. All that we ask is to keep the politics out of it, in line with the Basenotes' rules.

david

Jun 7, 2005
Regarding UK to abroad, (for ebay and private sellers) rum is right...circumstances have not changed. Perfumes are a no-no due to alcohol > flammable contents on aircraft. It may be to do with weird insurance rules in UK, (the same applies to private car sharing). In the rest of the world it is allowed - in GB it's not, due to insurance cover.

This was confirmed by UK ebay sellers who all initially ensured me that it would fine for them to ship to France...then all of them ended up cancelling the sales. It seems that many UK ebay sellers are still not aware of this rule.

Regarding the general shipping/covid experience, I had bad experiences during the first lockdown. I feel now everyone has their act together and the parcel delivery service has returned to normal, (especially as covid has induced more online sales and deliveries)....and am assuming they have employed and trained more employee's to deal with the parcel delivery explosion.

Latest posts

Latest News