For The Vintage Collectors …

SFLizbeth

Jan 28, 2009
Sure, and actually, I have to correct myself: my Crab Apple Blossoms does have its label:

View attachment 297663 View attachment 297664

Initial smelling notes: "Crab-Apple Blossoms was introduced [c. 1882], and was advertised regularly until early 1912. … My vintage Crab-Apple Blossoms is a concentrated proto-chypre, a honeyed citrus drowning in so much civet and oakmoss it could give the entire IFRA a heart attack. How it survived all these years, I have no idea. I was prepared for vinegar, but it's better, if perhaps less complex, than I'd dared hope. No wonder this was the biggest hit in the house's existence."

I have another Crown of similar vintage that lacks a label:

View attachment 297665

Initial smelling notes:

"The final bottle in my Crown collection lost its label somewhere on its journey to the present. In the standard Crown bottle, it could be virtually any scent the company ever issued. There’s a fair chance it’s more Crab-Apple Blossoms, as that was easily the company’s biggest success apart from its smelling salts. I’ll know soon if it’s that. If it isn’t, chances are I’ll never know what it is… [Later] Hung jury: too many top notes gone to be certain. I think this was something else, but it’s all relatively fleeting base notes."
So full of oakmoss and civet it could give IFRA a heart attack made me spit out my tea. Thanks for that!

SFLizbeth

Jan 28, 2009
How old is your oldest intact (not spoiled in any way, and still beautifully fragrant) vintage fragrance, and how full is the bottle?

I ask, because I have a couple of discontinued and/or vintage bottles in my modest collection that I would love to have last as long as possible. The particular bottles I’m referring to are either half full, or less.

I know that although frags are perishable, that there are many collectors here that have fragrances that are very, very, very vintage. I am in no way a vintage collector, and have no experience with truly vintage frags other than the ones that were passed down to me. Is a half-full bottle a ticking time bomb, or can it last for years - if not decades?

I’m wondering if it’s worth using these bottles sparingly, or if so much “air space” in the bottle dictates that I should enjoy them while I can and use them up.

Thank you in advance!
I say, life is short, enjoy them! I have a few:
1990 Chanel Coco EDP 1/2 full
1992 Chanel No. 5 eau de cologne 3/4 full
1992 Chanel No. 19 extrait 1/2 full
1994 Chanel No. 22 eau de cologne 1/2 full
1988 Fendi extrait/perfume, 1/2 full
1980's L' Artisan Vanille (the original) 1/2 full
1986 Patou Eau de Patou 90% full
1992 Shiseido Murasaki 1/2 full
1992 Shiseido Feminite du Bois Extrait 3/4 full
1994 YSL Opium Extrait 1/2 full

badarun

Basenotes Institution
Jan 15, 2013
Barring Guerlain's that I own, as I've not checked on which is the oldest - I would think it's the Patou Lacoste Eau de Sport from mid-60's that's my oldest.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I say, life is short, enjoy them! I have a few:
1990 Chanel Coco EDP 1/2 full
1992 Chanel No. 5 eau de cologne 3/4 full
1992 Chanel No. 19 extrait 1/2 full
1994 Chanel No. 22 eau de cologne 1/2 full
1988 Fendi extrait/perfume, 1/2 full
1980's L' Artisan Vanille (the original) 1/2 full
1986 Patou Eau de Patou 90% full
1992 Shiseido Murasaki 1/2 full
1992 Shiseido Feminite du Bois Extrait 3/4 full
1994 YSL Opium Extrait 1/2 full
What a beautiful collection 🙂

Thank you so much for sharing them with me, along with their fill levels!

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
I don't have anything very vintage. I'd say the best-preserved are my two spray bottles of Diorella and Miss Dior, dating to 1989 and 1991. So not that old, but they are as fresh as if bought yesterday.

Got some oldies from the early part of the 20th century. These I use these every so often, these will likely last a very long time.
I've wondered about your Vol de Nuits! So impressive :D
I really want some vintage VdN extrait, but having read so many times that this perfume is particularly prone to going "off" I just haven't dared to invest significant money into a bottle. Did you buy yours sealed? Do you have any advice on how old one can go with VdN so as not to take huge risks... ?

Gilturko

Dec 30, 2006
How old is your oldest intact (not spoiled in any way, and still beautifully fragrant) vintage fragrance, and how full is the bottle?
Hello!
The oldest and in better shape perfume I have in my collection is an almost full atomiseur of Diorella from 1974, lemon top notes intact! :)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I don't have anything very vintage. I'd say the best-preserved are my two spray bottles of Diorella and Miss Dior, dating to 1989 and 1991. So not that old, but they are as fresh as if bought yesterday.

I've wondered about your Vol de Nuits! So impressive :D
I really want some vintage VdN extrait, but having read so many times that this perfume is particularly prone to going "off" I just haven't dared to invest significant money into a bottle. Did you buy yours sealed? Do you have any advice on how old one can go with VdN so as not to take huge risks... ?
That’s still impressive that you’ve been able to keep them so fresh!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...