For More Powerfull Basenote: Ambergris and Musk, Which one and How?

mkturker

May 11, 2014
I am trying to formulate my own scent. I just wrote again in sub-forums as a questions or reply about my criosities but there was no answer. And decided to post it in an new thread about my specific(maybe common) problem.

The top note in my formula is very powerfull and it's not problem. It can last even more than needed(Nearly 30 minutes) at %20 concantrate. But for the base note, it is lasting nearly 5-6 hours but from begginning to end it is very weak about diffusion and perceptability(IMO).

I used for base note

Sylvamber 7 ml,
Timbersilk 7 ml,
Cetalox 9 gr,
Helvetolide 3 ml
Romandolide 7 ml
Ambrettolide 3 ml
Hedione 20 ml
Hedione HC 2,5 ml
Habanolide 3 ml
Grisalva 2 ml
Cashmeran 2 ml
Oakmoss Absolute 1 ml
Methyl Atratate 1 gr
Pathouli 1,5 ml

I used for top note

bergamot,petitgrain,neroli,rose(Turkey),DHM,orange ,sweet basil,fir needle oil,Coranol,linalool,ally heptanoate,manzanate and triplal.
Total compound is nearly 90 ml and these composition was diluted with ethanol at %20.

I will reduce top note to %60 from full strength because of unneeded power of top note. But still I have doubt about basenote.

Probable your comments and answers:
- My retailers are trusthworthy
-If I am anosmic at basenote, my other friends who tested and smelled my formula is same.It is weak.

I read on this forum that Ambrox DL is more powerfull than Cetalox and Cetalox is than Ambroxan. I have a little sample about Ambrox Super, Ambrox DL, Ambroxan and Cetalox. Additionally I have musks mentioned above and Exaltone and Muscone.

I wil try Iso e Super more in my other iteration but I wonder what will happen. But when I tried close basenotes with nearly same ingredients, the result is same.(I have no opportunity fur obtain other materials).

If anyone can advice me anything about more powerfull musk or ambergris, please write it. Which one(ones) can help about being more diffusive for musks and ambergris?

I will be in here :smiley:

mkturker

May 11, 2014
(1) Bonkers amount of musks.

(2) Almost all of those basenotes, while perhaps "powerful", do not have intense scents.

Thank you for your answer again mnitabach I think there isn't anyone in this forum just now :embarassed: , because I asked this question three times but your answer is first.

Of course, it is important for what I meant for POWERFULL?

I mean that, about perceptability after 4-5 hours by other people.

1-What is your advice for musks? Lesser or others(Maybe tonalide etc. or others-I never smelled but read)?
2- Which ones are intense about perceptability?

Or must I enhance concantration ratio from % 20 to % 30?

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
Increasing the concentration of your concentrate in EtOH from 20% to 30% isn't going to achieve anything related to what you seek. The most diffusive intense base material you have there is patchouli. As an experiment, make your formula omitting all of your base materials except the patchouli & see how that performs. Then you can start adding back others to achieve more effects.

ETA: To be very clear, it is impossible to add anything to that existing poorly performing blend that is going to make it perform how you want. You need to redesign the structure.

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
My observations(I am a beginner)
You can have 1 or 2 materials that amplify each other , but adding others can change that effect.
Each material is what they they are- so if you can’t perceive it , it won’t be perceived- you will have to add materials that do what you want.
I hear getting the top is the hard part, so if you have that solved- perhaps follow Mike’s suggestion and create the base in tandem?

mkturker

May 11, 2014
Increasing the concentration of your concentrate in EtOH from 20% to 30% isn't going to achieve anything related to what you seek. The most diffusive intense base material you have there is patchouli. As an experiment, make your formula omitting all of your base materials except the patchouli & see how that performs. Then you can start adding back others to achieve more effects.

ETA: To be very clear, it is impossible to add anything to that existing poorly performing blend that is going to make it perform how you want. You need to redesign the structure.

Thanks for your recommendations. I will try. I use patchouli mostly for top note and middle note because it is patchouli light. It has mostly woody and earthy aspect but not warm comparison with regular patchouli's that warm effect. Before this patchouli, I used clearwood but I found it very weak and only earthy but the thing I look for is not that. I want from patchouli its woody aspect at top and maybe earthy in base.

But I must ask, should I change my ingredients with others(what you advice) or combine with patchouli with order? Have you got an advice for other musks compatible with IFRA Standarts and more powerfull than which I used like above?

mkturker

May 11, 2014
My observations(I am a beginner)
You can have 1 or 2 materials that amplify each other , but adding others can change that effect.
Each material is what they they are- so if you can’t perceive it , it won’t be perceived- you will have to add materials that do what you want.
I hear getting the top is the hard part, so if you have that solved- perhaps follow Mike’s suggestion and create the base in tandem?

Actually both the base and top was problematic and last week I had the last materials for my work. I got angry and added something at top note largely than before :smiley: But this was HUGE! After blending it with alcohol and waited a day, it was amazing! :smiley: Now I tested it with my co-workers in office and they love it. Me too. But (Maybe it isn't a problem but I obsessed to it :smiley:) the base note is not enough for me about perceptability. Just now, while I am writing this reply, my friend came in to my room in office and said that, the scent I sprayed yesterday is still staying at his whrist.I didn't detected maybe because of anosmia.

Latest News