Folkwinds by Jono Bornstein

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Just got to the info about Folkwinds.

First of all - many congrats and kudos to you @Jono@Folkwinds. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the Folkwinds project.

Two questions:

1. Is there a possibility to ship some samples overseas?
2. Are you planning to sign a contract with an European retailer? Hm... Lulua maybe? They're not the only ones here, if you only wanted to do it with one of the few we have here in Poland (all are great from what I've experienced), just let me know please, I can help you with that. Totally non-profit of course.

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019
Just got to the info about Folkwinds.

First of all - many congrats and kudos to you @Jono@Folkwinds. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the Folkwinds project.

Two questions:

1. Is there a possibility to ship some samples overseas?
2. Are you planning to sign a contract with an European retailer? Hm... Lulua maybe? They're not the only ones here, if you only wanted to do it with one of the few we have here in Poland (all are great from what I've experienced), just let me know please, I can help you with that. Totally non-profit of course.
Thanks for the help! Because I’m so small, I don’t have any retailer plans at the moment; but for international samples Pm me and we can work something out.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
Good story. I'll try the line out. SA and AP sound quite rare and american... I studied my last year of school in Fargo and those ingredients kind of remind me the North Dakota landscape.

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019
Good story. I'll try the line out. SA and AP sound quite rare and american... I studied my last year of school in Fargo and those ingredients kind of remind me the North Dakota landscape.
Thanks! Cloud Illusions is probably most similar terrain wise to Fargo. It was inspired by my time in Montana; specifically Glacier National Park.

chad34

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 3, 2022
Cloud Illusions is excellent, very difficult to describe or even wrap my head around but nonetheless excellent. Sweet juicy blueberries with some mint in the opening, I think I can smell the bubblegum accord in there giving it some extra sweetness. Excellent dry down here, overall I'm very impressed with this house.

***side note, I wore Santi Ana yesterday during some heavy rain that we've been experiencing here in the Northeast, and this beautiful hay note totally enveloped me for several hours, it was pure olfactory bliss. It seems like the more you wear these the more and more you'll start to pick up on the different nuances. Happy camper here!

Thedad

Aug 30, 2020
Hi everyone here are my thoughts on Jono's three fragrances in three posts.

Cloud Illusions opens with a sweetened blueberry note mixed with some cypress. I also detect a slightly waxy iris here as well. The blueberry for me is hit and miss. I like the smell initially though it is a little sweet for my taste but then something mixes in with the blueberry that I don't like. It could be something in the accord, probably the bubble gum, that smells a little artifical for my taste. I think many people will enjoy this opening, my daughter loved it, it just is too sweet for me. I did smell a wonderful nutty scent in the air at the top that goes away rather quickly. After about 30 minutes the blueberry dies down on me and the the cypress takes over. The orris butter also comes into play more by making the scent creamier and smoothing things out. The orris used here is spectacular and really enhances the fragrance. About an hour and a half in and the fragrance hits the sweet spot for me and now smells very very good. There is some musk coming in the base swirling around the orris and sandlewood. The musk here and/or maybe some of its components smell like the same type of musk used in Gather's Soft Animal which I believe was muskrat. The dry down is my favorite part of this fragrance with the musky sandlewood combo that really works well on me.

What I really enjoy about this one is it makes me think of the mountains or forests of North America when. The musk in the dry down really brings the image of a chilly forest with mountains in the background. Wonderfully different scent!

Thedad

Aug 30, 2020
American Pharoah is a cherry tobacco in a leauge of its own. The cherry note here is amazingly realistic without any artifical issues on my skin. There is also big tobacco in here along with woods (cedar) and musk. The musk here is also wonderfully realized with muskrat, deer, and ambrette that all add different facets to the fragrance. There is listed rose here as well but I really only get that note very slightly buried behind all the other good things going on here. After an hour or so it gets slighter sweeter and the tobacco comes out slightly more. The scent stays in this sweet tobacco phase for quite some time. In the dry down I get the wonderful coabsolute of ambergris and sandlewood being more prominent and it really enhances the vanilla now coming out and mixing with the musk. Though a quick word of warning to try this first because it was pretty musky on me which I enjoy but everyone may not.

This lasts all day and we'll into the evening and projects extremely well all day on my skin. This is expertly made and one of my favorite fragrances I have tried this year. This is so good that I can't believe this is coming from a new perfumer and with one of the first releases from his new brand. Slumberhouse's 2022 Jeke is sitting in a corner crying and wishing it was this good and unique.

Thedad

Aug 30, 2020
Santi Ana is a very earthy green fragrance. At the top I get almost sour greeness. I don't know what it is on skin but it might be the honeysuckle and the hay mixing together. In the air I get a wonderful apple cider mixing with some greens and rose. I don't yet get the rose on skin though. On skin this goes almost directly to a chypre on me with the mossy base really coming through and I think the apple cider/ambergris absolutes, though the hay note stays for quite a while. The apple cider in the base is very well done here with a hint of sweetness but I really get the apple with nothing artifical smelling about it. After about 2 hours the scent settles into more of a melange of spices with some of the apple still present. Here the scent reminds me of a fall market where you walk along and smell the spices, sweet treats, and mulled cider all wafting through the air. The fragrance sits in this sweet spot for a few more hours. The far dry down is more woody with the sandlewood and ambergris being most prominent on me.

The more I wear this the more I like it. I actually think it might be the most unique of the three fragrances, though American Pharoah is still my favorite. This was the one that I thought would be my least favorite based solely on the notes, but it ended up being my second favorite of the line.

I have found that all three fragrances from Jono are extremely well thought out and constructed. The fragrances really all have a definite sense of place, style, and showcase an emerging talent that is definetly one to watch. Can't wait for what the future holds.

Jul 4, 2014
This is only after one wearing but I’m confident in saying that Santi Ana is absolutely fantastic. I’m not sure exactly why but I found myself getting emotional while wearing it which hasn’t happened to me in a long time, something in here is triggering a deep nostalgia response.

It changes so dramatically and subtly over the wear that it’s hard to break down the notes but I was smitten by how balanced every stage is while still being dramatically different, especially with regard to tempering the sweeter facets. The hay and propolis heart warming into the sandalwood/apple skin/ambergris (maybe?) base is absolutely stunning, the description of leaves turning is super apt and I can’t think of a better fall scent. All day my nose was glued to my arm, huffing it or trying to pinpoint what subtle facet had changed since the previous huff moments prior. Fantastic performance as well, I was sad that I had to shower last night because it was still just humming along after >10 hours.

I thought for sure American Pharoah would be my favorite but I think I like SA even more. Testing CI today. Any attempt at a pre-Christmas no-buy has been thoroughly thwarted 😂

Last edited:

chad34

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 3, 2022
I think American Pharoah resonates so much with me because my dad used to smoke a pipe, I think it was called Borkum Riff, it was a lovely sweet almost cherry type of smoky scent, and AP just makes me think of him. It's amazing that something like scent can bring on the most of powerful emotions to sweep over you, to remind you of the best times, the fondest of memories. Scents like American Pharaoh hold a special place in my heart, thank you Jono!

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019
Chad, I hate to be the contrarian, but I don't think I've come close to some of the masterpieces other artisan houses have put out. That's not to say I don't appreciate the compliment, I do, (and thank you!), but I also want to offer complete transparency in that I know I have a long way to go in honing in my skillsets.

These first three perfumes were developed over the course of almost a year, and I firmly believe that the compositions, materials, and presentation offer a competitive value to what is in the marketplace. When I first started this project, I told myself I wouldn't release anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable buying myself, and I'm proud that they stand-up to that litmus test. But I also recognize that I'm standing on the shoulders of giants in regards to artistry. I'd be nowhere if I'd never smelled the perfumes of Russian Adam, Josh Lobb, Sultan Pasha, etc...

chad34

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 3, 2022
Chad, I hate to be the contrarian, but I don't think I've come close to some of the masterpieces other artisan houses have put out. That's not to say I don't appreciate the compliment, I do, (and thank you!), but I also want to offer complete transparency in that I know I have a long way to go in honing in my skillsets.

These first three perfumes were developed over the course of almost a year, and I firmly believe that the compositions, materials, and presentation offer a competitive value to what is in the marketplace. When I first started this project, I told myself I wouldn't release anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable buying myself, and I'm proud that they stand-up to that litmus test. But I also recognize that I'm standing on the shoulders of giants in regards to artistry. I'd be nowhere if I'd never smelled the perfumes of Russian Adam, Josh Lobb, Sultan Pasha, etc...
I appreciate your honesty and candor Jono, and I understand what you mean and where you're coming from, I decided I didn't want to ruffle any feathers so I deleted that last post. All I can is that with absolute certainty is that your first three perfumes are outstanding!

FullCollapse

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2012
I'm curious to know, others who've tried these, what's your favorite?
It's a very strong tie between American Pharaoh and Santi Ana right now. Cloud Illusions is excellent as well but I need a few more wearings of this one.

Will be purchasing a full bottle of Santi Ana soon, as well as a sprayable decant of Cloud Illusions so I can properly test it out.
Will post my thoughts here and in the directory soon.

@Jono@Folkwinds I am really looking forward to your future work! You're off to an excellent start!

chad34

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 3, 2022
It's a very strong tie between American Pharaoh and Santi Ana right now. Cloud Illusions is excellent as well but I need a few more wearings of this one.

Will be purchasing a full bottle of Santi Ana soon, as well as a sprayable decant of Cloud Illusions so I can properly test it out.
Will post my thoughts here and in the directory soon.

@Jono@Folkwinds I am really looking forward to your future work! You're off to an excellent start!
You really can't go wrong with any of them, Cloud Illusions is very unique and I agree that it'll take multiple wearings to wrap your head around it. I also want to get some more wearing in on these and hopefully write some more in depth reviews as well.

Jul 4, 2014
Cloud Illusions is very nice but I think it’s simply an instance of not being to my taste. I love the iris and the deep drydown has this great greenish bitter musky sandal vibe that was really beautifully balanced, but up top I just felt like the blueberry/bubblegum accord was a touch too nondescriptly sweet to me. It very accurately creates an ethereal naturalistic atmosphere and captures the spirit of the Joni Mitchell song perfectly, just not my favorite note selection. However this is a very rough first impression after a single wearing so I’m sure my opinion will develop over time.

Santi Ana and American Pharoah are both top top top notch. Like, some of the best stuff I’ve tried all year and there have been some major hits. If I had no budget I would buy both in a heart beat but I think of the two I prefer Santi Ana for it’s slightly more complex development and the dry down which gave me a “childhood flashing before my eyes” emotional flashback like the critic in Ratatouille.

FullCollapse

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2012
Cloud Illusions is very nice but I think it’s simply an instance of not being to my taste. I love the iris and the deep drydown has this great greenish bitter musky sandal vibe that was really beautifully balanced, but up top I just felt like the blueberry/bubblegum accord was a touch too nondescriptly sweet to me. It very accurately creates an ethereal naturalistic atmosphere and captures the spirit of the Joni Mitchell song perfectly, just not my favorite note selection. However this is a very rough first impression after a single wearing so I’m sure my opinion will develop over time.

Santi Ana and American Pharoah are both top top top notch. Like, some of the best stuff I’ve tried all year and there have been some major hits. If I had no budget I would buy both in a heart beat but I think of the two I prefer Santi Ana for it’s slightly more complex development and the dry down which gave me a “childhood flashing before my eyes” emotional flashback like the critic in Ratatouille.
I felt the same and Cloud Illusions my first try as well. I have it on my wrist again today but I am wearing long sleeves this time around. This is making a huge difference, which is why I am getting a sprayable sample. I typically do 2-4 sprays to the chest under my shirt so the fragrance diffuses through clothing and the top and mid notes stick around longer. Smelling my wrist through my sleeve, the tartness of the blueberry is still present and it's keeping the Iris in check. The sandalwood and bubblegum are also much more discernable and the whole thing really comes together this way. The entire list of notes consists of ingredients that I usually avoid but this is winning me over more and more with each sniff.

FullCollapse

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2012
You really can't go wrong with any of them, Cloud Illusions is very unique and I agree that it'll take multiple wearings to wrap your head around it. I also want to get some more wearing in on these and hopefully write some more in depth reviews as well.
Yeah you're right, you really can't go wrong with any of them. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that once you try one you will end up with at least a decant of the others. I also can't speak highly enough about the presentation. Not only is it unique and classy, it's all functional as well. A branded bandana instead of a box. Brilliant! I will be ripping these patches off the bottle once it's empty and sewing them on my travel backpack as well.

@Jono@Folkwinds Did you intend for the cap to be used as a wax seal stamp? I'm going to start sending people fancy letters just so I can use it that way.

chad34

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 3, 2022
Yeah you're right, you really can't go wrong with any of them. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that once you try one you will end up with at least a decant of the others. I also can't speak highly enough about the presentation. Not only is it unique and classy, it's all functional as well. A branded bandana instead of a box. Brilliant! I will be ripping these patches off the bottle once it's empty and sewing them on my travel backpack as well.

@Jono@Folkwinds Did you intend for the cap to be used as a wax seal stamp? I'm going to start sending people fancy letters just so I can use it that way.
I really liked the message that all of the parts (bandana, patch, heavy ass CNC cap) was made to outlast the perfume inside the bottle, a chance to repurpose the items, how cool of a concept!!!

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019

Thank you all for the wonderful impressions.

To answer your question, no, I didn’t, but I love the idea! They’re actually a slight nod to my time in the wine industry, where we’d use tri-clover stainless steel fittings to connect hoses, seal tanks, fill barrels, etc…. I always loved the way their logo was embedded into steel, and I set out to accomplish something similar.

Of the entire presentation, the caps were the hardest feat to pull off. The amount of times I was told “no” to using stainless steel should have kept me from pursuing them, but, I’m happy I was insistent. E6B01110-5387-4F45-A152-0B22D57BDB3D.jpeg

Hans hans

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 23, 2021
Cloud illusions is my new favorite. Its lots of snow and winter in Stockholm. Somehow Cloud Illusion fits this weather perfectly. I notice I reach for this one all the time. I would have figured CI to be a summer Fragrance but winter lifted it to whole new level.

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019
Hey Everyone! I just wanted to pop in here and announce a bit of a Basenotes Black Friday Special: Buy any bottle and I'll toss in travel spray samples of the other two for free, along with free shipping within the Continental United States, and $25 Shipping for the rest of the globe (via private sale only). Just shoot me a PM to order.

I also wanted to announce a Basenotes Giveaway: I'll be giving away a set of 3 9ML travel sprayers to one winner on Basenotes who posts, or HAS posted a review in between October 31, and November 30th. Multiple reviews will incite multiple entries. Thank you so much for your early support!

chad34

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 3, 2022
So I wore American Pharoah yesterday for Thanksgiving, and man was it good. It's also important to note that I find it pretty astonishing that a mostly natural perfume (90%) as it claims lasts for over 12 hrs on my skin. Quite impressive. My wife said she picked up some floral notes in there also at the beginning, none of which I could personally pick up.

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Sampled all 3 recently.

The perfumes as new concepts are absolutely phenomenal.

American Pharoah was the best of the lot for me and FBW. It gives me some Slumberhouse vibes (but so did FandM Late Harvest). The other 2 are also just fine, they're simply not my style.

AP, Great cherry note (a note that is seldom done correctly), beautiful boozy tobacco musk base, good scent development, good sillage and good longevity for a largely natural fragrance. Easy reach for what I feel is a real cosy fragrance.

Great work by Jono and looking forward to future releases.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I’m running down the Folkwinds trio this week in What Did You Try Today? Started with American Pharaoh because alphabetical. Great cherry tobacco, easy on the cherry so it never cloys. And, yes, longevity is impressive. Looking forward to the next two days/samples.

Mick B

Oct 12, 2021
I just ordered American Pharoah. Very excited about this!
I think @Jono@Folkwinds has a very special relationship with UPS and have VIP access, because I just got the package already!

The presentation is lovely, the bandana, the cap. Really nicely put together! The glass travel sprays are a nice touch too, they feel much better than the plastic ones.

As for the scent, I'm going to save that up for the weekend ❤️

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...