Floris London Opinions

tiberije

Sep 11, 2011
I just blind purchased Elite by Floris and if that proves to be winner I am willing to explore rest of the male line up.

I really like houses with real history not “invented one”.

What’s your opinion of this house?
And what do you recommend trying?

No.87 is no brainer since it’s James Bond cologne of choice and I was thinking about Santal as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
I really enjoy Floris and have several of their fragrances. As a house, their fragrances tend to be kind of like Creed, as they are friendly and generally liked by the masses. But unlike Creed, you can usually find them at prices that are not overly expensive. Most are classy, pleasing and inoffensive. The only drawback is I find they usually have only average to slightly below average longevity/projection. But I personally have no problem working through that.

The one you really need to watch out for is one that has been discontinued....Floris Vetiver. It is excellent but is pretty hard to find. But if you do, I'd scoop it up.

Others I have include....

Santal
Mahon Leather (also hard to find now)
JF
Jermyn Street (another one of my very favorites from the house)
1962 (another favorite)
71/72
Victorious

Two more I like but don't have (yet) are:

Honey Oud (this one gets particularly good reviews)
Leather Oud

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016
I like a few of the offerings. I feel the same way with Penhaligon's - there are some gems among the duds. Often hard to get samples outside the UK.

scentsableguy

Dec 30, 2008
I have been a long time user and fan of Floris and have many of their frags. 127,Honey Oud, Jermyn Street, 71/72 Turnbull and Asser, Islay, Malmaison, Spencer Hart Palm Springs, Limes and of course No.89. Although I have to say, as a Bond fan, Bond never actually wore No.89. In “ From Russia With Love” ( the novel) when asked why Englishmen don’t wear scent, he replies “ we bathe.” However, he did use Floris bath products and as for the fragrance, Fleming wore it himself.

PaTomas

May 10, 2018
I have some very nice fragrances, Aventus and Viking, Dior Homme Intense, others. But Creed and Dior houses are always hit and miss. For two years now I have narrowed down reliable first class affordable houses to two: Lalique and Floris (Clive Christian and Roja, House of Matriarch, yes, many quality very expensive exclusive ones aside). The list of famous personages that relies on Floris goes on and on. Santal is the signature for the singer Placido Domingo. President Kennedy famously wore Floris Vetiver, and Churchill Special#127... The only reason I don't wear Floris 1962 every day is because receiving the compliments that I do every time I wear it does get a bit old :) This classy house would never be caught dead producing a mass pleaser Dior Savauge or something like YSL Y. There's nothing like a disappointing fragrance in the house. Some of the citrus based scents have sillage issues. Name a citrus scent that doesn't. This and Lalique for houses that can still offer fragrances below 200$ usd. Elegance and class. Period. I was getting a little paranoid for lack of compliments so I wore my 1962 today. That's not the most "selling" name, but my friends know what it is by now!

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
I want to like the house but I'm not a big fan of their scents. Briefly, this is how I feel about the fragrances:

Nice, worthy of wearing:
Santal
Cefiro (not too often though)
Honey Oud

Hmm, OK:
JF
Mahon Leather

Just hard to wear and rather dated:
Elite (it's OK when I'm alone)
No 89
Special No. 127
Limes

Victorious (not dated but weird)

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
I own vintage bottles of many from the line, and No 89, for example, is exceptional smelling in its original formula. I haven’t sniffed current IFRA neutered versions of No 89 or Elite, but as the original formulas were both loaded with oakmoss, I fear for what the current versions must smell like now in neutered form.

Compositions like Eau de Santal based on the ingredients I would expect to have held up well under IFRA, and it smells wonderful.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Light-wearing mostly with few notable exceptions but generally updated to more modern sensibilities. If you appreciate quieter yet elegant scents this could be a house worth checking. I love a couple, like a few, enjoy some more than others yet somehow have accumulated quite a number of Floris fragrances in my wardrobe:

1962 *
No.89
Vert Fougere *
Neroli Voyage
Jermyn Street *
71/72
Bergamotto di Positano
Edwardian Bouquet
A Rose For..,
Leather Oud
Honey Oud

love it

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
I'm unfamiliar with Floris for the most part, the three that I have tried were all very good:

Honey Oud
Santal

These are the three that I've tried and I thought they were all very good. 1962 is excellent.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I have also liked the brand in the past - original Elite is one I owned and I also tried JF and No 89 in their original forms. I didn’t own those though.

Although I have to say, as a Bond fan, Bond never actually wore No.89. In “ From Russia With Love” ( the novel) when asked why Englishmen don’t wear scent, he replies “ we bathe.” However, he did use Floris bath products and as for the fragrance, Fleming wore it himself.

On the topic of the Bond novels, I agree with the above as it marries-up with what I’ve read. No 89 was Fleming’s scent.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
I just blind purchased Elite by Floris and if that proves to be winner I am willing to explore rest of the male line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This probably is not the best starting point. I hope you enjoy it, but it's my least favorite. There's a note in it that doesn't work for me (and for some reason, I SWEAR it was Tuberose from having had it back in the early 2000s, but it doesn't appear listed on its notes any longer via a few sites - it does here on Basenotes, though. Strange.)

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Does anyone know where in the US I could order a sample of Jermyn Street? This one seems hard to find.

Go to: https://www.florislondon.com/en_usd/jermyn-street-sample

Just make sure the currency is on U.S. Dollars. I really like this one and have been checking on prices occasionally. I don't know what they charge for shipping; it used to be you could select five samples and just pay a flat fee ($5, I believe) for shipping, but they no longer do that.

evogel

Jan 23, 2003
The Bark,

Definitely Tuberose! I have a bottle from some years ago and the tuberose is way potent and gets me every time.
My bottle remains at 98% full. :) Definitely a tough Floris to start out with and nothing like any of the others from the house that I have tried.

I have no clue what the current version is like. Perhaps they no long include tuberose?

This probably is not the best starting point. I hope you enjoy it, but it's my least favorite. There's a note in it that doesn't work for me (and for some reason, I SWEAR it was Tuberose from having had it back in the early 2000s, but it doesn't appear listed on its notes any longer via a few sites - it does here on Basenotes, though. Strange.)

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
The Bark,

Definitely Tuberose! I have a bottle from some years ago and the tuberose is way potent and gets me every time.
My bottle remains at 98% full. :) Definitely a tough Floris to start out with and nothing like any of the others from the house that I have tried.

I have no clue what the current version is like. Perhaps they no long include tuberose?

I've read some of the more recent reviews and it doesn't sound like the same fragrance. Floris scents from 2000 on, at least in terms of packaging, have changed a number of times. If it hasn't changed and still has the heady Tuberose, they probably changed the marketing of the notes so as to not scare potential buyers away. It can be done well in a men's fragrance, but it's really too much in this (at least with those bottles from the early 2000s!).

Comtedelafere

Apr 1, 2020
I've been wearing Floris for a good 10 years now, Santal is easily my favourite but as others have said Jermyn Street seems good as does one of the other new ones (Bergamotto Positano or Neroli Voyage?), Palm Springs was a very nice fragrance in small quantities but I couldn't justify owning a bottle. Special 127 is also nice and clean though there is something almost liquorice like in there which I'm not so keen on. Also have a bottle of Malmaison that I'm using sparingly.

Unfortunately the much lauded No89 smells exactly like Demeter Funeral Parlour to me, it's one of the floral notes (Lily perhaps?), very powdery and very much of the 50's. I had a sample of Elite and it really didn't do it for me, there was something reminiscant of toilet cleaner but everyone's nose is different.

On the whole I'd say a great house, they haven't yet diluted their brand or started massively over charging, both of which Penhaligons has done. The Soap is excellent and was my introduction to them.

Price-wise they're more expensive than high street brands but then much better quality and value for money than say Acqua di Parma, Penhaligons or Diptyque who I'd argue lack the quality of Floris and yet charge much more for their products.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Price-wise they're more expensive than high street brands but then much better quality and value for money than say Acqua di Parma, Penhaligons or Diptyque who I'd argue lack the quality of Floris and yet charge much more for their products.
giphy.gif

I'm a big fan of Floris.

I don't get the complaints that they don't have a universally successful lineup. What brand, reputable or no, has ever batted 1000?

Floris explores a very specific, British style of perfumery that most would think of as "barbershop," and I think they excel at it, and generally offer higher quality than the likes of the houses you mention above.

In part, it's underrated because of limited distribution (see also Santa Maria Novella), but the Floris been catalog, Santal aside, is more sturdy than great. It's the old-meets-new stuff of the past few decades that has my affection.

I'm a very big fan of Santal, 1962, and Leather Oud, and would happily own bottles of all three (right now I only have Floris Leather Oud, which flirts with being my all-time favorite scent). Honorable mentions are deserved for 71/72 and Honey Oud. I like the current version of Elite, as well (I've heard the newer stuff is essentially a completely different fragrance from the original release).

dysect

Oct 4, 2013
Tried Leather Oud from Floris recently, liked it. Reminds me of something a la AdP Oud. I'd want to try 1962 next.

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
Eau de Santal is good though there is no sandalwood in the composition. More like someones fantasy take on the note. I also like Mahon Leather as it's a safe easy to wear scent. Floris 1962 is the one that takes the crown from the ones I've tried over the years. Now that's good, really good!

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Eau de Santal is good though there is no sandalwood in the composition. More like someones fantasy take on the note. I also like Mahon Leather as it's a safe easy to wear scent. Floris 1962 is the one that takes the crown from the ones I've tried over the years. Now that's good, really good!

+1 100%

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016

The Bark,

This is a great thread as now I know why Elite bugs me too. I agree with Bark, if I had got that one first I would have stopped. Fortunately had others and like them and picked up a blind buy vintage Elite mainly as it was cheap. It's a very challenging wear and my bottle is pretty full too.... probably on the sell list when get around to clearing some.

On the more positive ones I like Limes although it is more the one-note type. JF is good too. I have a few samples haven't got around to, need to do that. But the highlight always come back to is just "Floris Original Gentleman's Cologne". All of them have been vintage. It's a very classic scent, and it has pretty good performance. Even though it gets to skin scent it is a strong skin scent..... Hard to go wrong with it.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Because it was discontinued, when I saw Floris 1976 for a good price, I snagged it.

1976 makes me laugh (in a good way). It's the Floris remake of Aventus, which they packaged up as a pink-colored unisex fragrance. Somebody at Floris has a sense of humor.

Now I'm not enamored with the Aventus DNA, but if something like Montblanc Explorer pushes it into the more showergel territory of Sauvage, this pushed it towards the barbershoppy land of something like Penhaligon's Juniper Sling. It's still essentially a fruity-smoky thing, just more classicized in that Floris/Penhaligon's way.

1976 is a bit more floral and fresh and zesty. There's some lavender making this a bit fougere-like and some clear emphasis on juniper. The fruity citrus (bergamot/lemon) still evokes pineapple, but being that this is taking a more classical approach, it feels more like tart, unripe pineapple rather than the sugary ripe kind.

There's a lovely smoky birch that serves as the backbone, and with the less weighty, dense, aromatic structure of 1976, it's very distinct and clear in its presentation. Altogether with the juniper and juicy citrus it feels a bit like a smoked gin cocktail with some fresh fruit juice incorporated.

In its posture, it strikes me as a bit more stereotypically Creed-like than Aventus actually does, more in line with Green Irish Tweed and Millisime Imperiale and Royal Oud.

Only shame about it is that, much like Aventus proper, it's seems that it's easy to go anosmic to it. I thought it had mostly faded until I walked into a room and my wife, sitting eight or so feet away, complimented me on it.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
1976 makes me laugh (in a good way). It's the Floris remake of Aventus, which they packaged up as a pink-colored unisex fragrance. Somebody at Floris has a sense of humor.
1976 is a bit more floral and fresh and zesty. There's some lavender making this a bit fougere-like and some clear emphasis on juniper. The fruity citrus (bergamot/lemon) still evokes pineapple, but being that this is taking a more classical approach, it feels more like tart, unripe pineapple rather than the sugary ripe kind.
I've never thought of 1976 as having any similarity to Aventus. I smell no pineapple in it at all. I've never seen it as a listed note, including on Fragrantica. I looked on the Floris website to see what notes they list for it and they apparently no longer sell it, as I didn't see it on the site.

It's mainly a great juniper fragrance, to me. That's what caught my attention the first time I smelled it, and that's the reason I bought it.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I have also liked the brand in the past - original Elite is one I owned and I also tried JF and No 89 in their original forms. I didn’t own those though.

On the topic of the Bond novels, I agree with the above as it marries-up with what I’ve read. No 89 was Fleming’s scent.
Yes, as a long time and semi anal Basenoter, I have seen the "what scent did James Bond wear" thread countless times.

Folks far more rigorous in their research than me have pretty much revealed that it was Bond Creator Ian Fleming liked Floris No. 89. Via that story bouncing around the internet, it has morphed into "James Bond wore Floris No. 89...I saw it on the internet." There is no good consensus on any scent that the character wore. Some say Trumpers Eucris because it may have been spotted in the background of room he was given in one film. BUT, to be clear, it was already in the room...it's not like he unpacked it or slapped some on. Personally, I think if you want to smell like James Bond, just make up in your head what he would wear. (On a side note, I had a friend who was a bit of an ass. He had a suit custom made so he "could look like James Bond." I told him of the internet rumors about Floris No. 89 and he promptly bought a bottle. Someone less James Bond like, you will not find).

I will say I like No 89 a LOT. It is fairly floral, sneakily potent and kind of cologne-ish even though it's not a cologne per se.
I'm already mature and don't give a hoot, but it is to many a kind of "mature" scent. I can see that. It's a bit soapy, rosy, and feels light even though it's a kind of heavy scent (weird to say that way, but kind of true to me).

I tried Floris JF and it struck me as their attempt to enter the freshie dihydromyrcenol game along with Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water in the 90s.
It's okay...I sold it because it wore too lightly for my tastes.

1962 gets a lot of love but I think is discontinued but still obtainable. Didn't work for me. Nothing negative about it. It just didn't click for me.

I haven't tried any of their more modern offerings.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Only shame about it is that, much like Aventus proper, it's seems that it's easy to go anosmic to it. I thought it had mostly faded until I walked into a room and my wife, sitting eight or so feet away, complimented me on it.
In spite of the fact we all more or less know this about scents and olfactory fatigue, it's still always a surprise to us.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
1962 gets a lot of love but I think is discontinued but still obtainable. Didn't work for me. Nothing negative about it. It just didn't click for me.

I haven't tried any of their more modern offerings.
1962 is one of their more modern offerings! (I personally love it. Depending on your perspective it's either a greener take on Z-14 or a less dark take on Polo, but I find it preferable to both, even when vintage formulations are taken into account.)

It's a resolutely old-fashioned house (which I enjoy). Even their newer stuff riffing on contemporary DNA tends to feel like a throwback to older styles.

I'm eager to try the Spiced Bergamot scent they released recently. It looks fairly conventional in structure, but Floris typically relies on nice materials to fill out their compositions.

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
1962 is one of their more modern offerings! (I personally love it. Depending on your perspective it's either a greener take on Z-14 or a less dark take on Polo, but I find it preferable to both, even when vintage formulations are taken into account.)

It's a resolutely old-fashioned house (which I enjoy). Even their newer stuff riffing on contemporary DNA tends to feel like a throwback to older styles.

I'm eager to try the Spiced Bergamot scent they released recently. It looks fairly conventional in structure, but Floris typically relies on nice materials to fill out their compositions.
I confess to being baffled by the love for 1962.
I had an official sample of this direct from Floris of this and it was a literal scrubber...on several occasions as I really tried to like it but it was just awful.
Bitter and dark...and skanky....just like Polo Green, as I find them both equally disgusting.
How anyone can get compliments, especially from females wearing this is a mystery. Perhaps from men who like this profile but surely not ladies?
Just goes to show how different our noses and tastes are I suppose.
I'm not knocking anyone elses personal taste but it does demonstrate how little we should lean on the opinions of others doesn't it?

JF on the other hand is lovely and a great option for a slightly sweeter and less sharp (albeit poorer performing) alternative to Creeds GIT or the other GIT 'clones',

Elite, is also very nice, smooth and rich, but not harsh or skanky, like Polo Green to which it is often (bizzarly) compared, but my wife is not a fan of old school stuff so I'd not get to wear it enough to make it FB worthy.

Last edited:

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
A shop near me recently started carrying Floris. I have sampled a few - JF was OK. As a big neroli fan, I really liked Neroli Voyage, though I already own several that are similar. Still deciding on whether another neroli is worth buying. *insert meme of guy checking out girl while girlfriend gives him a dirty look*

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
A shop near me recently started carrying Floris. I have sampled a few - JF was OK. As a big neroli fan, I really liked Neroli Voyage, though I already own several that are similar. Still deciding on whether another neroli is worth buying. *insert meme of guy checking out girl while girlfriend gives him a dirty look*
Yeah, JF is fine but there are a lot of Green Irish Tweed-like things out there, so it doesn't distinguish itself.

Neroli Voyage is a really nice, modern neroli. Less sweet than many nerolis go, with a nice fennel note.

Latest News