First Kurkdjian Dior and the future

What will be Kurkdjian's first masculine designer fragrance for Dior

• Flanker in Eau Sauvage line

• Flanker in Fahrenheit line

• Flanker in Homme line

• Flanker in Sauvage line

• Reformulation of another Dior classic (e.g. Jules)

• Brand new pillar fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Sauvage's success is bound to temper at some point; I see it as the Fahrenheit of the 2030s although it will never be a Fahrenheit in my book.
That said, I think FK will want to release something totally new, to be the flagship mass appeal scent.
What direction? I don't know, my guess will be something syrupy sweet that blurs the gender line.
Unless 'they' get together to make decide what 'we' will love re: Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel, etc.
Wishing for a re-launch of Jules even if limited.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Sauvage's success is bound to temper at some point; I see it as the Fahrenheit of the 2030s although it will never be a Fahrenheit in my book.
That said, I think FK will want to release something totally new, to be the flagship mass appeal scent.
What direction? I don't know, my guess will be something syrupy sweet that blurs the gender line.
Unless 'they' get together to make decide what 'we' will love re: Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel, etc.
Wishing for a re-launch of Jules even if limited.
Huh? Jules was re-launched in 2016 by Demachy. Own a bottle, good stuff. Was that one discontinued already by accountants from LVMH who checked it's niche-like, hard to wear and doesn't make profit? Not cool.

I used to repeat Demachy is killing Dior. But now I'm 100% sure it's not that way. It's LVMH with its policy that are actually killing Dior :(

Last edited:

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Huh? Jules was re-launched in 2016 by Demachy. Own a bottle, good stuff. Was that one discontinued already by accountants from LVMH who checked it's niche-like, hard to wear and doesn't make profit? Not cool.

I used to repeat Demachy is killing Dior. But now I'm 100% sure it's not that way. It's LVMH with its policy that are actually killing Dior :(
Oh no, I meant a re-launch of the re-launch: FK's take on Jules!! :)
I don't doubt that LVMH is prolly making decisions that lean towards profit over fanbase, but at the end of the day, you need profit to run a business :)

Demachy is artistic, and I like his work.

Vinrambo09

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2010
With Dior Sauvage sales surging hand and fist due to Johnny Deep as its brand ambassador, it is going to be exceedingly difficult for Kurkdjian to come up with a more lucrative pillar fragrance.

Mistertaz

Dec 15, 2010
I think that Dior is doing so well with Sauvage that they will not mess with its success. I suspect that FK will primarily work on a new blockbuster for women instead.

However, now that Dior Homme has been destroyed, I really hope they come out with a re-launch of Fahrenheit. I miss Fahrenheit Absolute personally.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
I think that Dior is doing so well with Sauvage that they will not mess with its success. I suspect that FK will primarily work on a new blockbuster for women instead.

However, now that Dior Homme has been destroyed, I really hope they come out with a re-launch of Fahrenheit. I miss Fahrenheit Absolute personally.
So...you want them to potentially destroy Fahrenheit, as well?

Scentologist

Basenotes Institution
Apr 17, 2007
I don't feel DH 2020 needs an EDP as it is perfect just as is. I voted that he will launch something new but I could be wrong and it might be a flanker. Time will tell. However, whatever he decides will be a purchase. Dior, Chanel, and YSL are prob my 3 top houses.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
I owned and loved APOM Homme, it was my signature for years. Apart from that, I simply can't find a creation by him I'd love, or even like. I can just hope that his new territory will be more spectacular - for me at least.

Vinrambo09

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2010

That is doubtful its very much Iconic , he will likely make a flanker or a new pillar fragrance, personally I wish he would bring back APLS in the Privee collection.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
So I have tested all three, so far on pieces of paper (stripes).

Bois d’Argent suffered the least. Seems to be almost unchanged but the projection is much weaker, longevity is also slightly poorer in tweaked version.

Cologne Blanche smell the same, but simply like it was diluted.

And now… Eau Noire is a shadow of its inner self. This smells like a room filler with an aroma of Eau Noire. Very weak projection and dissapears also quite fast from the skin.

If you liked that sharp combination of licorice, lavender and coffee, I’d recommend you getting a bottle of green Eau Noire on second market before the price is elevated beyond the level of absurd….

Last edited:

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
No, but there are two versions. The current one is a 2017 reformulation by Demachy of the 2012 release. Both are good, the 2012 is heavier on myrrh.
I know, I thought that LVMH already discontinued something AGAIN. Oficially there is one version, Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017. 2012 is so called "vintage" and is not in production anymore (I own this version).

2012 was also created by Francous Demachy.

speckmann0706

Basenotes Institution
Mar 8, 2017
Uhm... Is Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum already discontinued? I thought it is still in production.... I'm confused to say the least.
The 2017 version while nice is not as nice as the 2012 version the dark Myrrh and blending of the 2012 version is phenomenal. I think its discontinuation was a huge mistake and should be rereleased in closest form even if tweaked a bit.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
The 2017 version while nice is not as nice as the 2012 version the dark Myrrh and blending of the 2012 version is phenomenal. I think its discontinuation was a huge mistake and should be rereleased in closest form even if tweaked a bit.
I'd agree to disagree. I own OG bought somewhere in 2013 or 2014, I regret I bought only 50 ml. When 2017 reformulation occured I almost started panicking, but decided to keep calm and just kept testing 2017. It's as good to me, all the important aspects of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum are there, it's just slightly more uplifting in the opening, brighter, more zesty bergamot (and possibly other citruses). I'm (or I was way back then) surprised, but's an example of reformulation done right, to me.

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
I'd agree to disagree. I own OG bought somewhere in 2013 or 2014, I regret I bought only 50 ml. When 2017 reformulation occured I almost started panicking, but decided to keep calm and just kept testing 2017. It's as good to me, all the important aspects of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum are there, it's just slightly more uplifting in the opening, brighter, more zesty bergamot (and possibly other citruses). I'm (or I was way back then) surprised, but's an example of reformulation done right, to me.

I agree. To my nose both versions are superb.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Then stay away from the 2012 formulation :D
I'd never bothered to check my batch code until now, it's 2N03 which checkfresh says is 2022. I definitely didn't just buy it so it must be a 10 year recurring code so 2012. Never knew I had the myrrh heavy batch! I sometimes find the sweet honey aspect a little overwhelming, I wouldn't mind a slightly lighter iteration of this.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I'd never bothered to check my batch code until now, it's 2N03 which checkfresh says is 2022. I definitely didn't just buy it so it must be a 10 year recurring code so 2012. Never knew I had the myrrh heavy batch! I sometimes find the sweet honey aspect a little overwhelming, I wouldn't mind a slightly lighter iteration of this.
What you perceive as a sweet honey is a myrrh :)

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020

If your bottle has an all-black label then it’s the 2012. If the middle part is silver then it’s the 2017. For me it’s a once-in-a-while fragrance, but it’s so good on those occasions. Make sure to sniff the “new” one, it should be pretty accessible.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
If your bottle has an all-black label then it’s the 2012. If the middle part is silver then it’s the 2017. For me it’s a once-in-a-while fragrance, but it’s so good on those occasions. Make sure to sniff the “new” one, it should be pretty accessible.
Yea must be 2012, I remember I bought it shortly after the bottles changes to the fixed sprayer. I used to wear it a lot and hadn't realized I put such a dent in it, my 125ml is about 2/3rds empty.

Inspired by this thread I sprayed on my OG bottle of Eau Noire which is usually a once yearly wear for me, haha. So spicy! It really smells like holidays to me, spicy mulled cider. I'm liking it more than I remember, maybe this will be the winter of Eau Noire for me!

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I know only the 2017 version, but to my senses the myrrh is simply overwhelming, ruining the whole.
In 2017, they (supposedly) swapped the myrrh for elemi. But at the end of the day, in one or the other, it's a resinous/vanillic thing that is hard to really define.
i agree that it crushes the vetiver, and the citrus (supposedly yuzu) doesn't manage to counterbalance the blend like a bergamot could have, for example. As such, I recently decided to list my 2017 bottle for sale.

Jan 20, 2019

Hit the nail right on the head there

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Huh? 125ml? No atomizer? Are you talking about Eau Sauvage or Eau Noire?
Nonon, I mean mine has the fixed atomizer but if I remember correctly I bought it shortly after the change from the original "insert it yourself" screw on atomizer to the current fixed one. But I don't really know, I wasn't that into perfume at the time and I just remember thinking "huh that's weird the bottle is different" when I went to buy Bois d'Argent. But at the time I wasn't paying attention to perfumers and reformulations etc, I just knew that Hedi had left as creative director of Dior.

Time is funny, in my mind it wasn't long after the initial release of the 3 that I bought this, but it looks like it came out in 2007 and if this is 2012 then 5 years had passed! Does anyone remember, how long did those original thin glass, screw on atomizer bottles last? Did they change with Demachy or before that?

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
Nonon, I mean mine has the fixed atomizer but if I remember correctly I bought it shortly after the change from the original "insert it yourself" screw on atomizer to the current fixed one. But I don't really know, I wasn't that into perfume at the time and I just remember thinking "huh that's weird the bottle is different" when I went to buy Bois d'Argent. But at the time I wasn't paying attention to perfumers and reformulations etc, I just knew that Hedi had left as creative director of Dior.

Time is funny, in my mind it wasn't long after the initial release of the 3 that I bought this, but it looks like it came out in 2007 and if this is 2012 then 5 years had passed! Does anyone remember, how long did those original thin glass, screw on atomizer bottles last? Did they change with Demachy or before that?

But, but, but — we’re all talking about Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012 vs 2017) 😂

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
But, but, but — we’re all talking about Eau Sauvage 😂
OMG I'm an idiot! I saw discussion of Myrhh and filled in the blank that we are talking about Bois d'Argent. I don't own and have never owend Eau Sauvage. Sorry carry on! 😂

Edit: now it makes sense why Martin_ was trying to convince me it's myrhh and not honey, I was thinking isn't it well known Bois d'Argent has a prominent honey note?? lol

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...