Filthy Animalic Roses?

Duchess Potato

Basenotes Member
Oct 7, 2020
I've been really enjoying layering Juste FIlthy under AdP Rosa Nobile. The AdP RN's kinda dry, subdued rose and slightly citrusy/musky backend and ambergris sits really really nice over the civet cumin stank of the Juste FIlthy.

Is there a single frag that goes that way? Dry woody rose with a really vicious animalic bottom? But not sweet or jammy rose, and not a chypred-out oakmoss beast (Antaeus I'm looking at you, even if the current formula blows).

Dry woodsy animalic rose? Any help appreciated.

Thx!
D.P.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Schiaparelli Shocking was indeed rose and shockingly dirty. But it doesn't exist anymore (also, I have found that it often goes bad in vintage, so buying it there is risky).

Apart from the rose oud mentioned above, I'm thinking Parfums de Rosine Rose Twill: woody, dry, vegetal, and animalic (though not strongly so).

cacio

Duchess Potato

Basenotes Member
Oct 7, 2020
Vintage Oud Ispahan
Interesting, the current stuff is pretty damn good. Though I sorta fell in with Dip's Oud Palao for my rose oud, all that booze and tobacco. Though OI is hell of nice. It's just, I want stabby sharp dry rose. Maybe I'll poke around Dior again, I just hold a grudge with them for screwing up Diorella and/or everything Roudnitska did.

Duchess Potato

Basenotes Member
Oct 7, 2020
Schiaparelli Shocking was indeed rose and shockingly dirty. But it doesn't exist anymore (also, I have found that it often goes bad in vintage, so buying it there is risky).

Apart from the rose oud mentioned above, I'm thinking Parfums de Rosine Rose Twill: woody, dry, vegetal, and animalic (though not strongly so).

cacio
Dammit yes I've heard Shocking was something to behold. I'll put the de Rosine on the list. It's just such a peculiar combo of musky golden rose on top of that Dame skanky civet and cumin that just, my god is it something.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
There's Agent Provocateur, stinky stuff:
375x500.205.jpg

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great recommendations, also if considering to (re) test certain masculine options with great unisex potential:

the discontinued Ungaro II, Chanel Egoiste, Zino Davidoff, Bogart Furyo and Lancetti Uomo Concentree EDP seem to include the required notes quite well.
However far more with incense, leathery civet and/or almost thick, jammy but surprisingly not overly sweet, rather dark smoky rose notes.

ambergeese

Basenotes Member
Sep 7, 2022
Massive caveat because I haven't tried this one yet, but it's on my to-sample next list and I'm super excited about it: Saringkarn by PRIN is a rich, filthy animalics-oud-rose parfum.

Rose and oud is a pretty popular combination. You might be curious to try some Middle Eastern attars and perfume oils, though I don't have any in particular to point to. It sounds like you want actual animal animalics rather than simply oud, though.

Paloma Picasso by Paloma Picasso has a lot of other stuff going on, but there's a gorgeous vintage soapy rose-carnation that gradually gets eclipsed by filthy, musky, gorgeous civet.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Dixit&Zak Oud Rosa. It crosses all borders of appropriate and is more crude than Oud Infini. Seems like absolute match to your request.
If you wouldnt be able to find it online, let me know, i am considering of letting my bottle go.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
My first thought was Les Abstraits La Doleur Exquise. I wouldn't call it filthy, it is too smooth and refined for that, but it is a bit dirty. The castoreum and cumin give it a warm furry hum in the base.

Duchess Potato

Basenotes Member
Oct 7, 2020
Hey thanks y'all, I have a list of roses to sample, in the meantime because I just found a parcel-forwarding service who is reasonably priced and will take perfume from the states into Canada. I just picked up the JD Scatamalis Base because omg I can't believe it's that cheap and I can get it across the border.

So I will filth up the roses I have. I will filth them so much.

re: Rose Oud I have Oud Palao which admittedly brings rum and tobacco along but really does have the rose-barnyard power. The Frank Boclet looks fascinating because that's exactly what I want, a real pissy civet rose.

The Prin line was mentioned and I swear to god I'd sell my tits to get a hold of those. The whole house sounds rather fascinating.

Thanks peeps!

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Indeed filthy animalic Rose Oud,
PK Perfumes' Dirty Rose Oud Extreme.

Look for Youtube reviews. Daver's is hilarious.
It is only available by request, not listed for sale on the PK website.

heavy black heart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 20, 2022
wearing one dot of Cheval d’Arabie today & it’s amazing!!

Sultan Pasha’s description below:

For your attention, I present to you my most animalic of all my compositions. This is only for the brave and true connoisseurs of truly skanky, animalic raunchy earthiness ! Here I’ve tried to replicate the smell of an Arabian steed in all its glory and magnificence. From the very start it’s extremely horsey and wildly animalic only to slowly tame over time revealing his true poetic noble nature translated by wet dewy tart roses on a bed of citric olibanum, Elemi and Hindi oud all reinforced by the most pungent noble animalics found in perfumery. Let Cheval d’Arabie take you on a wild olfactive ride which will reward you from start to end.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...