Filtering Rose E.O after dilution

eri99

May 13, 2022
Hey everyone,

I need some help/advice on how to properly filter out the natural occurring petal waxes in rose EOs after diluting. I have recently gotten my hands on a small amount of rose EO and wanted to dilute it down so that it is A) less powerful and B) more economical. However after diluting to 10% with ethanol it became cloudy and there was "sediment" in the bottle (petal waxes), and I was just wondering if anyone here has any sort of advice to properly filter this out and if there's a specific method to use?

I appreciate any help you are able to give!

Thank you.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
These long chain fatty acids are what help give Rose oils good longevity.
If you want to get rid of them, you can simply rest the dilution bottle for a month undisturbed, and siphon out the top clear layer, then send me the sludge so that I can make good use of it if you don't want it!. :cool:

Stevenat

Mar 25, 2022
If you want to get rid of them, you can simply rest the dilution bottle for a month undisturbed, and siphon out the top clear layer, then send me the sludge so that I can make good use of it if you don't want it!. :cool:
These are present in rose essential oil & absent in absolute? I'm sensing a theme in your touting of rose e.o. over absolute... 😹 😹 😹

eri99

May 13, 2022
But since they're insoluble wouldn't it therefore make a finished fragrance look "bad" due to the waxy/fatty appearance? Would you filter it out using filter paper and a funnel?
I'm also assuming that the diluted mixture should be room temperature before filtering otherwise it would just be a solid?

ourmess

Apr 25, 2018
If it's long chain fatty acids that are causing the problem, then wouldn't something like ethyl myristate help integrate them into the solution? When it comes to chemistry I'm about as knowledge as the average potato so maybe I'm wildly off base, but that's my recollection anyway.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
If it's long chain fatty acids that are causing the problem, then wouldn't something like ethyl myristate help integrate them into the solution? When it comes to chemistry I'm about as knowledge as the average potato so maybe I'm wildly off base, but that's my recollection anyway.
Yes, if that is desired, but it wasn't the question, so I didn't suggest that. Great Thought Ourmess!

Agonhoun

Feb 20, 2021
Never did it ( filtration) with absolutes and eo. Rose absolute so expensive that spend it for filter 2 times ( before and after when compound is ready) Also, after my experiments i see dofference bettween dilution in alc and dpg. Alc more better ( scent very clean, without small soap-nuances like in dpg
Why do you want to filter? Other things can gives sediment after maturation too

Latest News