Fendi Theorema - rara avis no longer?

Jardanel

Jul 3, 2008
To my observation, Fendi Theorema was an obsession in much the same way of Biagiotti's Venezia for a while. Discontinued, coveted, very few bottles circulating.

Now there seem to be bottles of FT available fairly readily among the usual (reputable) discounters. Are these a re-issue, an uncovered cache from some years back, or what?

They don't seem very costly or difficult to obtain. I'm just afraid to order one and find that it's a situation similar to, say, certain Roberto Capucci scents where the license was sold. Those came out in packaging almost identical to the real thing, but with telling detractors in the details (printing on the boxes totally flat, no embossing, cheap cap and cheaper spraying mechanisms).

So - time to satisfy my curiosity on this one or not?

Thanks!

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
The ones on Beauty Encounter are likely a legit cache that somebody sat on. That price is what my 3.4 oz went for years ago while discontinued.

It's worthy. The top notes will be a tad flat, but the opening accord and heart are so brilliant, it doesn't matter. It's a subtle and almost androgynous fragrance. Easy for the guys.

Nick Tesla here loved this and Mitsouko, and there is a connecting genius between the two fragrances. I say go for it, buy a BE bottle, keep the box, and sell at 99% with no loss if you don't like it.

Jardanel

Jul 3, 2008
Thanks, Redneck P.
Your thoughts on the provenance were much like what I was thinking. For years I could only stand the eau d'ete version of Theorema, but I might be ready to graduate now. Especially now that it's winter!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks, Redneck P.
Your thoughts on the provenance were much like what I was thinking. For years I could only stand the eau d'ete version of Theorema, but I might be ready to graduate now. Especially now that it's winter!

You're welcome!

I thought I had reviewed this, but I have not. I merely mentioned it in another review!

My wife thinks it smells feminine, but she thinks Derby smells feminine! I'd say it's very "Hermès unisex" and partly "Ellena" in style. No worries wearing this out and about.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Where can this masterpiece be found for cheap? I gotta jump on it.

The rotten fruit top is addictive...

cacio

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Where can this masterpiece be found for cheap? I gotta jump on it.

The rotten fruit top is addictive...

cacio

I can totally deal with the fruit notes in Theorema. The ones that throw me are the ones in Mauboussin. Those are rough - just shy of stomach-turning for me. Theorema is just perfection for me - especially in winter.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks for the information, because I have wanted more Theorema for some time (but not enough to pay a crazy price).

I do have a cautionary tale, which I will share since others may be able to add more information. A few years ago, a similar resurgence of another Fendi rara avis occurred...Fendi by Fendi. I (and others) purchased these and concluded that they are not from a vintage cache and the perfume inside is definitely not the same as the original Fendi.

I hope these Theorema bottles prove to be good, but I am beginning to wonder what is going on with Fendi...

Last edited:

Jardanel

Jul 3, 2008
I can totally deal with the fruit notes in Theorema. The ones that throw me are the ones in Mauboussin. Those are rough - just shy of stomach-turning for me. Theorema is just perfection for me - especially in winter.

You are probably referring to the classic Mauboussin - with the prism-infused pyramid bottle, yes? Right, the plummy note is pretty strong. But have you ever tried the Histoire d'Eau by same company? Like Dundee marmalade spilled on a suede jacket. Love that bitter orange simmered with spice and honey. It's as if Eau d'Hermes were playing the James Fox character (Chas) in "Performance" - you know, that shot where he's wearing a wig and a silk kimono bathrobe.

Last edited:

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
You are probably referring to the classic Mauboussin - with the prism-infused pyramid bottle, yes? Right, the plummy note is pretty strong. But have you ever tried the Histoire d'Eau by same company? Like Dundee marmalade spilled on a suede jacket. Love that bitter orange simmered with spice and honey. It's as if Eau d'Hermes were playing the James Fox character (Chas) in "Performance" - you know, that shot where he's wearing a wig and a silk kimono bathrobe.

+1,000

Mauboussin's Histoire d'Eau is one of the reasons that I can live with my tiny mini of vintage of Theorema...it's wonderful stuff.

Jardanel

Jul 3, 2008
Especially if from a trusted retailer, would second the opinions in favor of and thus recommend going for it if and when the possibility arises and is also remains within a reasonable fragrance budget (even though the actual budget limits may vary)

Thanks, Ken. Budget limits tend to get a little elastic added!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008

Yes, exactly! The little pyramid where Queen Fruitopia was buried 4000 years ago and just ripened! :wink:

And no, have not sniffed this other, but it sounds awesome, and I must investigate!

+1,000

Mauboussin's Histoire d'Eau is one of the reasons that I can live with my tiny mini of vintage of Theorema...it's wonderful stuff.

Excellent! I saw this years ago and punted on it - clearly a mistake.

Latest News