Feminite du Bois relaunched as a Serge Lutens!

MFfan310

Jun 19, 2004
Well, here's a pleasant New Year's surprise from Shiseido/Serge Lutens via NowSmellThis: Feminite du Bois is being re-launched as a Parfums Serge Lutens scent, and in the export range! :thumbsup:

As for the bottle, it's now the standard Serge Lutens rectangular bottle (if you liked the look of the old bottle, better start hoarding). The Perfume Shoppe in Canada has it now, and expect fresh stock of Feminite du Bois to hit perfume counters at Neiman Marcus, Barneys, and other stores in the US that carry Serge Lutens any day now.

Heartwood

Jan 15, 2007
Thanks for the word, MFfan! I'll wait to hear what Asha says about the hopefully unchanged new juice. Her nose knows the SL Boizzies inside out!
:wave: <-- at Asha :)

Last edited:

Asha

Jan 15, 2008
LOL :)

And I just bought a small bottle of the original juice from Tang!!

Last edited:

Nukapai

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2008
OOOH! Thank you for this news-snippet! I just had to rush to my FDB bottle for a celebratory spray! Kindest Wordbird acquired it for me some months ago and I was worried about it disappearing entirely, which has led to some restricted usage.

This AND DK Chaos being re-issued has been such a victory for good scents persisting through the axe. :)

I just wish someone at Estee Lauder had the sense to re-issue the old Aveda Purefume Chakras in their old formulas (they've issued new ones which aren't anywhere near as nice). Then I'd be really happy.

Lian

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 10, 2006
You can still buy the Shisheido version in holland, I'm eager to know if there is a difference between the scents :)

I love Cedre by SL so Im considering buying FDB blind while Im in Holland :) Can anyone say whther that would be a somewhat safe buy or not? I havent smelled any other the bois series from sl

Last edited:

Asha

Jan 15, 2008
You can still buy the Shisheido version in holland, I'm eager to know if there is a difference between the scents :)

I love Cedre by SL so Im considering buying FDB blind while Im in Holland :) Can anyone say whther that would be a somewhat safe buy or not? I havent smelled any other the bois series from sl

I was in Holland over Thanksgiving break, and although I did not scour the place, I did not find FdB there. However, they DID have Shiseido Energizing Fragrance which I now happily own again :)

Morgaine

Sep 23, 2007
I was in Holland over Thanksgiving break, and although I did not scour the place, I did not find FdB there.
It's only stocked in some obscure shops, not mainstream perfumeries. There is one smack dab in the middle of the red light district that still has large quantities of it.
I don't even like FdB that much and even I'm feeling all nostalgic about the old dropper bottles - marvellous design. Feel tempted to buy one just for the sake of the bottle. Will resist.

Wordbird

May 30, 2006
I definitely know it's still on sale in the shops in Switzerland in the original formula and bottle because I just bought some for a couple of FdB lovers who were delighted to find it still in existence.

I'd heard Serge was going to add it to his line, but with all the fuss over Iso E Super, I hope there won't be any changes to the formula. Still, even if it does get tweaked a bit, it's very good news for fragrance lovers everywhere.
Hoorah!

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
I also hope the juice isn't changed at all, although I suspect this may well
be the case. I still have a few drops of the original left and will certainly
hang on to the bottle. I think the Shiseido version is still available in France
in most Marionnaud outlets.

dimples

Jan 9, 2007
The original curvy plum bottles are still available in Canada. I saw them last week at our department store, the Bay (at the bigger stores), at the Shiseido counter. They are under the counter so you have to ask for them.

Lian

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 10, 2006
Lian: a totally safe, wonderful blind buy! FDB is a very likable fragrance.

Bugger :( Now I have to get it, but I'll see first if they have it at any of the duty free stores before ordering it from the webstore. It was fairly pricey tbh. 70 euros for the normal refillable bottle and 60 for refills. Does anyone know what the refills look like?

Last edited:

Night

Nov 11, 2007
The funny thing is that in Belgium, the curvy plum bottle is available absolutely everywhere at a reasonable price.

From now on, Féminité du Bois will be difficult to find out and the price will certainly be higher ... :(

Alexandrie

Dec 7, 2008
I have just read on the Perfume Shrine (along with additional info on Chergui!!) that reformulation on Feminite du Bois might be implicated in this or some broken/revised business agreement with Shiseido. Has anyone been lucky to compare the old to the new? You Belgium-residing guys? :confused:

Haunani

Apr 25, 2008
...it seems all the ladies who share my perfume taste like FDB a lot.

Me, too, Lian, but I wasn't crazy about this fragrance when I sampled it several months ago. My notes say, "The cedarwood doesn't smell natural and it overpowers everything else, to my nose."

I'm going to try it again, but it is basically the same experience I had with Bois de Violette. The wood is harsh for me in that one, too.

Do any of you have any insight here? I love many other fragrances with cedar, and woods in general, and this one seems so universally loved?!!

Morgaine

Sep 23, 2007
Do any of you have any insight here? I love many other fragrances with cedar, and woods in general, and this one seems so universally loved?!!
Not much insight, but I do have sympathy. :p
My initial notes on FdB say: "Shrill, tinny, thin cedar". It's like an unsupported solo violin vs a quartet. The same "tinny" (have no other word for it) cedary note I find in Bois de Violette, Secret Obsession and YSL Elle, and an extreme case: Light Blue by D&G. I loathe Light Blue, and perhaps it is that association which keeps me from fully embracing the others. Out of the bunch I like Secret Obsession best, I think: it's the fruitiest and "roundest" of them.

Haunani

Apr 25, 2008
Not much insight, but I do have sympathy. :p
My initial notes on FdB say: "Shrill, tinny, thin cedar". It's like an unsupported solo violin vs a quartet. The same "tinny" (have no other word for it) cedary note I find in Bois de Violette, Secret Obsession and YSL Elle, and an extreme case: Light Blue by D&G. I loathe Light Blue, and perhaps it is that association which keeps me from fully embracing the others. Out of the bunch I like Secret Obsession best, I think: it's the fruitiest and "roundest" of them.

Thanks, VA. It feels good to have some company, anyway. Hey, maybe they'll reformulate this fragrance more to OUR taste! :D

damselfly1213

Jan 1, 2008
Not sure what's up with this. I ordered a bottle a week ago from The Perfume Shoppe in Canada, and my order is still "pending." Their email is full, and they haven't returned my call, and FdB no longer appears on their website (they haven't charged my cc yet, either). They must have run out fast (or jumped the gun announcing it.)

purplebird7

Jul 9, 2006
I just tried Feminite du Bois for the first time, and it resulted in a case of instant love. It's one of the best presentations of all time of cedar in fragrance. That plummy note saves it from the "pencil shavings" and "cedar box" associations. It is transparent, strong but soft, fruity and spicy.
I cannot believe that it was discontinued and hope that the Serge Lutens re-issue is the same fragrance. Oh, my. How lovely.
I like it more than SL Cedre, whose heavy fruit and spice notes didn't make enough room for the clear, aromatic quality of the cedar.

Lian

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 10, 2006
I got a sample from MUA so I'm excited to try it tomorrow :) I'll let people know if I'm loving it or not that much :)

I allow myself to buy one maybe 2 bottles of perfume this month, I was thinking of Le Maroc Pour Elle and something else (aside from the just ordered aoud rose petals) and was planning to go to a brick and mortar shop in holland and decide there to get the real ' store experience' for once. But if FdB is fantastic then I might make up my mind already.

It's so silly but Im really excited to try the sample

zingss

Sep 27, 2007
Not sure what's up with this. I ordered a bottle a week ago from The Perfume Shoppe in Canada, and my order is still "pending." Their email is full, and they haven't returned my call, and FdB no longer appears on their website (they haven't charged my cc yet, either). They must have run out fast (or jumped the gun announcing it.)

I ordered a back-up of FdB from The Perfume Shoppe over the phone. Naz was delightful, but let me know that it was the original (bottle and juice) that I was ordering. I got it today, about a week after ordering.

I hope all is well with Naz, the Shoppe is usually very responsive.

May you receive that perfume soon!

Asha

Jan 15, 2008
purplebird--agree 100%--the fruit seems to make the wood more creamy and soft. What is not to like? :)

Lian

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 10, 2006
Opening is very harsh and sharp to me, almost incensey even. It fades quickly and then it becomes a very woody fragrance, I can definitly see the resemblance to Cedre but Cedre is much sweeter and this is dryer. There is some sweetness going on ( the plum perhaps) but it's there to offer some balance and doesn't take the lead I'd say.

Sadly I don't smell it on myself after 10 minutes, I'm sure its there I just don't detect it. I might have to se more sprays to meet my normal wear amount and see if it's still there.

If I didn't have cedre I would be in love and already ordering it, if i can make it more smellable on me I will probably get it because its cheaper than cedre and I might actually use it more often :)

Nukapai

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2008
Bad news: the new FDB has been messed around with - not sure how much - but it's definitely not as intense and something else may have changed. It's still lovely, very lovely - but side-by-side comparison has revealed a difference. The Serge Lutens SA also said that she thinks it's "weaker".

potiron

Oct 18, 2008
Bad news: the new FDB has been messed around with - not sure how much - but it's definitely not as intense and something else may have changed. It's still lovely, very lovely - but side-by-side comparison has revealed a difference. The Serge Lutens SA also said that she thinks it's "weaker".

Oh noes, that's bad new indeed. I bought FdB as a Christmas present for my mother and she absolutely loves it (so do I; It's wonderful on her). Might have to check the local perfumeries to check if they still have some of the old bottles in stock. If they don't then my hope is that - even if the juice is not as potent anymore - it is indeed still lovely. very lovely.

Thanks for the info!:)

Nukapai

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2008
If you do see the old style FDB anywhere, snap it up! I'm very lucky to have a bottle!

bbBD

Banned
May 21, 2008
That's a bummer the SL release messed with the original. What's a good price to pay for an original? There are a few on eBay BIN $70, but there are unbid auctions at $50 (and parfum for a lot, $35/4ml or $130/15ml). Is $70 too much?

Wordbird

May 30, 2006
Potiron - try Marrionaud, Manor and Import Parfumerie; in Winterthur there is always at least one of them with a bottle or two of the original FdB on the shelves.

I've seen the new Lutens FdB on the shelf in my favourite perfume shop in Schaffhausen last week. The SA said it wasn't any different in smell. But 50mls of edp with a Lutens label on costs 124CHF, while I can get a 50ml bottle of the original Shiseido edp for under 100CHF. So buy the old stuff now, while it's cheaper!

arwen_elf

Dec 12, 2007
That's a bummer the SL release messed with the original. What's a good price to pay for an original? There are a few on eBay BIN $70, but there are unbid auctions at $50 (and parfum for a lot, $35/4ml or $130/15ml). Is $70 too much?

I paid about $65 last year for 1.7 oz. Check out fragrancenet.

kumquat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 31, 2006
:evil::cry:
:shocked::angry::cry:

STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!! Is one 3oz bottle enough to last me? No way. Now I have to find another.:(

exquisitely me

Jan 29, 2009
I was so excited when I first read this post, and now I'm crushed. :( Asha, that sample you sent me was a treasure. :) It was too much for me to handle for the first testing, but after the second I was loving it, and by the third.... there's no two ways about it, I've got have it! :D

Bad economy be damned!! I've got to find an original formulation!! Is it better to buy online or in brick and mortar stores? Is one more likely to carry the original? :confused:

Please help!!!

Nukapai

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2008
BTW, when I get some decanting supplies (hoping to shortly), I will happily post samples of the original formula to those who are desperate to check the original vs. new. (Within reason: don't want to give away all of my juice of course :p ).

Heartwood

Jan 15, 2007
Well, I've been on the fence about getting this for ages and this was just the push I needed. It's a blind buy for me, but I figure it's a safe one because: 1) it sounds exactly like something I'll love and 2) if the impossible happens and I don't love it, it'll be an easy sale/swap.

I ordered from fragrancetnet, exquisitely me. They have a good reputation here on BN.

Thanks for the heads-up Nukapai!

Latest News