Feminine scent that doesn't have Balsam of Peru as an ingredient?

Inverted

Sep 5, 2022
As the title says. My wife has an allergy to Balsam of Peru which is used in fragrances quite a bit. It's so hard to find ingredients in the actual fragrance of perfumes so I am having trouble.

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
Givenchy Amarige

3274878122561_P812256_AMARIGE_EDT_SPRAY_100ML_a_0.png

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
As far as I can tell, Chanel No. 19 edp doesn't:

List of Ingredients​

ALCOHOL | AQUA (WATER) | PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) | BENZYL ALCOHOL | BENZYL BENZOATE | BENZYL SALICYLATE | CINNAMYL ALCOHOL | CITRAL | CITRONELLOL | COUMARIN | EUGENOL | FARNESOL | GERANIOL | HEXYL CINNAMAL | HYDROXYCITRONELLAL | ISOEUGENOL | LIMONENE | LINALOOL | ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE | EVERNIA PRUNASTRI (OAK MOSS) EXTRACT | CI 19140 (YELLOW 5) | CI 14700 (RED 4) | CI 42090 (BLUE 1)

I think balsams are mostly used in what used to be called "Oriental" fragrances. If you stick with greens, fruits, leathers, or gourmands your odds might be better.

Inverted

Sep 5, 2022
Problem is, it is used as a vanilla scent so it’s probably in the fragrance but isn’t listed individually. That's the problem I am coming across with fragrances is that the individual components of the scent aren’t listed.

Inverted

Sep 5, 2022
Several perfume company sites contain an ingredient list with each fragrance. I was just looking on the Diptyque site, which does, and have seen them on other sites. If you check the sites of some houses your wife likes it might be one if them...

Problem is, Balsam of Peru is usually within the "fragrance" portion of the ingredient list.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Problem is, Balsam of Peru is usually within the "fragrance" portion of the ingredient list.

That complicates it. Well, another way that might be possible with some reputable companies could be to make up a form letter for yourself explaining the need to know of the presence of Balsam of Peru due to allergies and explain that your wife loves the perfume and needs to know if (name of perfume she would like to wear) contains Balsam of Peru. Also included could be a request for names of other of their fragrances that do not contain it, for possible future purchases. Don’t know if this would get results but for serious perfumistas it’s worth a try.

Some companies might require a letter from a doctor to give this information. How cooperative is your doctor? Good luck in finding a solution!on!

ambergeese

Basenotes Member
Sep 7, 2022
Well, another way that might be possible with some reputable companies could be to make up a form letter for yourself explaining the need to know of the presence of Balsam of Peru due to allergies and explain that your wife loves the perfume and needs to know if (name of perfume she would like to wear) contains Balsam of Peru. Also included could be a request for names of other of their fragrances that do not contain it, for possible future purchases.
Seconding this; great idea and some should be happy to help.

The allergy aside, do you know anything about what sorts of scents your wife likes?

I have a good nose for Balsam of Peru and pick it up all the time in compositions where it isn't listed in the note pyramid or ingredients. Avoid any fragrance in the general families of gourmand, warm spicy, vanillic, resinous, smoky, incense-y, or very sweet until you know for sure via a method like contacting the manufacturer to ask.

If she likes any of these sorts of smells, I'd explore options in the world of fresh, fruity, floral, green, woody, aldehydic, vegetal, or even animalic scents. It's easier to work backwards from a list of options you've found online that you know she thinks are appealing than to cast around aimlessly through the entire world of perfume.

I'd start by getting an idea of what she likes in those areas, then finding a list of worthy candidates that look good, then contacting the companies for all those scents, then ordering samples from whoever responds to confirm there's no Balsam of Peru. That system should ideally give you at least a few good options to choose from before your wife settles on one she really likes.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
You might consider perfumes from independent, artisanal houses who are usually more transparent about their ingredients and would also probably respond to an inquiry.

Take a look at Sonoma Scent Studios (one of my favorite indies). The ingredient lists appear to be complete (no “Fragrance” or “Parfum”). Here’s the description for Nostalgie for example, a gorgeous vintage inspired floral:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...