Favourite woody scent from the list below?

QpQ

Jun 14, 2022
I've tried out Bois Imperial, Hwyl, Tam Dao, and Santal Majuscule.

And was wondering what you guys personally prefer . I'm open to other suggestions though.

Oct 7, 2021
My favorites are: Dior Patchouli Imperial (fantastic dry woody patchouli, shame that it is discontinued), Terre D'Hermes, Chanel Sycomore, Frederic Malle Bois D'Orage

Owen Bawn

Basenotes Member
Oct 18, 2021
Nothing's come close to 1960s-80s kanon Cologne, long since discontinued. The cheap version sold today smells like vinegar, so don't bother. Fortunately I've hoarded millions of barrels of the old stuff. It's still out there at a good price if you're patient.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I've tried out Bois Imperial, Hwyl, Tam Dao, and Santal Majuscule.

And was wondering what you guys personally prefer . I'm open to other suggestions though.
I've tried all but Hwyl, but it might help to let us know what you liked or didn't like about each so we can help steer you. These are all "woody" in the abstract but smell quite different.

For me personally:
  • I prefer Tam Dao EDT of those you listed. It's what I think of as a pure woody scent, very minimilastic, almost like furniture varnish, but quite wearable if you like the vibe. The EDP is also great but I find the opening cedar much sharper, with the whole scent a bit louder and longer lasting. The EDT is a bit softer around the edges, has more noticeable cypress, and performance is just fine on me. (Others complain about performance occasionally, so if this is an issue, pick the EDP.)
  • Santal Majuscule is great but much different than the others - it has a strong rose note and a gourmand cocoa note in the base. Perfectly unisex, but probably more "feminine" than the others you listed if that's an issue. I wear my sample happily and hope to pick up a bottle at some point.
  • I'm one of the few who can't stand Bois Imperial, probably due to a note sensitivity. It opens extremely sharp and peppery, then quickly settles into a bug spray accord that lasts forever. Performance is very strong, it lasts forever on skin (have to wash it off), but a lot of people seem to go nose blind to it. But if you like it, go for it; the price is great and a lot of people really like it. People either seem to love this and immediately make it their signature scent, or they have a reaction like I did, where I immediately got a headache and couldn't stomach the smell.
  • Hwyl looks great, and I've been meaning to try it. It gets compared a lot of Comme des Garcons Kyoto, which is lovely but very light wearing. If you're looking for a lighter version, consider sampling Kyoto.
Otherwise, there are a million woody scents we could recommend. I'm partial to vetivers like Guerlain Vetiver, Encre Noire and Encre Noire a l'Extreme, Chanel Sycomore, among others. Comme des Garcons 2 Man (incense + snuffed candle accord) and Hinoki (camphoraceous cypress) are also very good. If you want something dark, resinous, extremely woody, and very affordable, take a look at Bentley for Men Absolute-- it smells like smoldering pencil shavings (cedar), pepper, ginger, frankincense, and a touch of fake oud; (it's a modern version of the discontinued 2003 Gucci Pour Homme, made by the same perfumer); sells for less than $40.

QpQ

Jun 14, 2022
I've tried all but Hwyl, but it might help to let us know what you liked or didn't like about each so we can help steer you. These are all "woody" in the abstract but smell quite different.

For me personally:
  • I prefer Tam Dao EDT of those you listed. It's what I think of as a pure woody scent, very minimilastic, almost like furniture varnish, but quite wearable if you like the vibe. The EDP is also great but I find the opening cedar much sharper, with the whole scent a bit louder and longer lasting. The EDT is a bit softer around the edges, has more noticeable cypress, and performance is just fine on me. (Others complain about performance occasionally, so if this is an issue, pick the EDP.)
  • Santal Majuscule is great but much different than the others - it has a strong rose note and a gourmand cocoa note in the base. Perfectly unisex, but probably more "feminine" than the others you listed if that's an issue. I wear my sample happily and hope to pick up a bottle at some point.
  • I'm one of the few who can't stand Bois Imperial, probably due to a note sensitivity. It opens extremely sharp and peppery, then quickly settles into a bug spray accord that lasts forever. Performance is very strong, it lasts forever on skin (have to wash it off), but a lot of people seem to go nose blind to it. But if you like it, go for it; the price is great and a lot of people really like it. People either seem to love this and immediately make it their signature scent, or they have a reaction like I did, where I immediately got a headache and couldn't stomach the smell.
  • Hwyl looks great, and I've been meaning to try it. It gets compared a lot of Comme des Garcons Kyoto, which is lovely but very light wearing. If you're looking for a lighter version, consider sampling Kyoto.
Otherwise, there are a million woody scents we could recommend. I'm partial to vetivers like Guerlain Vetiver, Encre Noire and Encre Noire a l'Extreme, Chanel Sycomore, among others. Comme des Garcons 2 Man (incense + snuffed candle accord) and Hinoki (camphoraceous cypress) are also very good. If you want something dark, resinous, extremely woody, and very affordable, take a look at Bentley for Men Absolute-- it smells like smoldering pencil shavings (cedar), pepper, ginger, frankincense, and a touch of fake oud; (it's a modern version of the discontinued 2003 Gucci Pour Homme, made by the same perfumer); sells for less than $40.
I actually found the performance of the EDP poor as well, lasting only around 5 hours but I might just be anosmic to it.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great recommendations already, also adding Kenzo Woody, most of the Dsquared fragrances, Azzaro Cedre Blanc and also Visit by the same house, Guerlain Homme Eau Boisee, Cartier Declaration Bois Bleu.
Both among personal favorites, but also among suggestions worth (re) testing.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...