Favorite musky fragrances?

tjg8399

Nov 26, 2020
Hi all, looking to explore some more musky fragrances and was curious about your recommendations. I'm less interested in the animalic musks i.e. MKK from Serge Lutens, Carnicure from Marlou, etc., or the laundry-fresh, floral musks. I'd love to find some warm, sensual, creamy musks that just sort of cocoon you like a blanket. I love ambers, patchoulis, and woods, so all the better if those are involved too, but really open to anything. Thanks!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Hi all, looking to explore some more musky fragrances and was curious about your recommendations. I'm less interested in the animalic musks i.e. MKK from Serge Lutens, Carnicure from Marlou, etc., or the laundry-fresh, floral musks. I'd love to find some warm, sensual, creamy musks that just sort of cocoon you like a blanket. I love ambers, patchoulis, and woods, so all the better if those are involved too, but really open to anything. Thanks!

Chopard - Musk Malaki (leathery musk, very unique)
Goutal - Musc Nomade (weird and also unique, ethereal, complex..read reviews! many 15ml bottles on ebay for cheap)
Montale - Aoud Musk
Zegna - Peruvian Ambrette (beautiful)
Lorenzo Villoresi - Musk (probably the most beautiful fragrance here, but loving rose is required to appreciate that one... that said, it's unisex/masculine, imo, not feminine)

chypre

Oct 10, 2006
Kiehl's Musk is a warm, earthy musk that's neither very animalic or clean.
Bruno Acampora Musc is similarly warm and earthy.
Goutal Musc Nomade - sheer but warm. The recent reformulation is creamier but has a hint of fruitiness.
Mugler Over the Musk - also sheer but warm; like clean skin.

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
I'd still give Luten's MKK a go, purely because it seems to evoke different feelings in different people. Some say it's extremely animalic, others that it's really not so. To me, it's somewhere in the middle ground.

Pretty much the whole Narciso Rodriguez line is worth trying if you want a high-quality, easily accessible musk fragrance. If you want a cosy cocoon of musk that makes you think of a cashmere sweater, Narciso in the white cube bottle is the one to go for, however, it does lean very femme. Also, if you like the DNA of the feminine fragrances, Rose Barbare by Guerlain is also in the same vein.

I also agree that Bruno Acampora's Musc and Musc Gold are worth having a look at if you like 'White Musk' style fragrances. Others in the family would be The Body Shop's White Musk, and Serge Lutens Clair de Musc. Narciso Rodriguez' Pure Musc is also a great take on the genre by retaining the brand's signature softness and dialling down on the soapiness.

Another good one is Hugo Boss Wool Musk, which is a formal approach to the note. It's still clean, but grounded by woody notes that give it a bit of an edge, but still very wearable.

For something slightly more sensual, but not animalic, Le Labo's Labdanum 18 would be the one to get. I'm not a fan of Malle's Musc Ravageur (or it's close relative Meharees by L'Erbolario) because they smell a bit stale to me. Labdanum 18 is similar to those, but without that musty feel.

Nom de Guerre

Jan 2, 2020
Didn't see 1957 by Chanel mentioned here – in my top 3 most worn this summer. Others in my collection that I enjoy are Musc Ravageur, L'eau d'Hiver, Helmut Lang EDP (and the cologne), Dans Tes Bras, Labdanum 18, Over the Musk.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
For the real stuff few satisfies me more than the OG from Areej Le Doré: Siberian Musk.

On the designer-ish side I have a soft spot for Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Him and Ramon Monegal Agar Musk.

Vit

Jan 11, 2013
Hey man! You should try Orto Parisi - Bergamask!
My all time favorite MUSK.
The name says BRGAMOTE AND MUSKS.
You really has a real chance to taste most of beautiful and payfull musk on this earth.

Go taste! ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Latest News