Favorite fragrance that fell into your lap?

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
I really like this story, this is a great example of that chance scenario that has led to a favorite fragrance. It has been almost 30 years since that gifting -- I wonder if wearing it today brings back memories of those times! Thanks for sharing your story!

Thank you! It does bring back memories, sometimes.

But Egoiste was my gateway fragrance. It taught my nose that there is more to perfumery than just "smell nice." And it is ME. I'm wearing it today to work, and I'm in jeans and a hoodie, yet I feel so dressed up. It's like my scent armor. Nothing can get to me when I'm wearing it. I'm ready.

TrboDieselPwrd

Basenotes Member
Apr 27, 2020
Perhaps Bvlgari Lilaia. I swapped an old and unopened back up bottle of Hermes Eau des Merveilles for it, without having ever even smelled the Bvlgari. I just liked the notes and the name. (I can be a massive romantic idiot. When they pick obscure literary names and stuff, I’m exactly the type of silly who pays attention to that.) and green is my favourite colour, so I swapped blind. It turned out to be one of my favourite summer perfumes. Surprisingly tenacious in heat, never cloying, green-ish. Just perfect. Totally different experience from most reviews that say it’s a short lived skin scent.
Sometimes you just have a "feeling" that it's gonna be a hit. Perhaps a love at first sight scenario, followed shortly by love at first sniff!
I won a bottle of Habit Rouge EDC at a perfume raffle, I didn't really want it but the organiser persuaded me it was a good one so I took it. I didn't like it at first but knew I would at some point, perfume intuition. That EDC sat in my cupboard for three years before it finally clicked and now the EDT is a main player in my collection.
Amazing how Habit Rouge does that -- something special for sure. Thanks for sharing!
I bought a J'Adore for a graduation gift for someone way back when and received two samples: Shiseido Feminité du Bois and Le Feu d'Issey. The FdB wasn't a direct hit, but the Feu d'Issey swept me off my feet. At that time though, buying perfume for myself was a nonstarter, so I babied the red sample vial until it was empty and saved it for years until I couldn't catch anything from the dried-out sprayer. By then I'd begun to look for it in shops, but only encountered the Light version, which was nothing alike. I never did manage to buy the original.

Hearing that Etro Etra was an almost dead ringer for FdI, one Interrail trip, student me stomped into KaDeWe, held my breath, and paid 100e for it. It's very good, but it's not the grotesque explosion that the original is.

Years later, at my partner's sister, I noticed the red Feu ball on her bathroom shelf. I asked her meekly if I could have a sniff, but instead she gave me the entire bottle! I'm sure my reaction to her kindness was slightly more than she expected.

In the meantime, I'd returned to the Feminité du Bois sample and fell madly in love with it, still knowing nothing about the origin. Again, too late, again.

Little did I know... But at least I've had the joy of experiencing both in their original forms.

Still holding out a flicker of hope that whoever owns the Issey brand now wants to cash in and make a special edition of the red ball...
I hope you come across the Issey again! Your story is familiar and strikes a chord; a student me would never consider buying, but now as someone who can afford these old favorites, I'm having a hard time finding them as they're discontinued. Obviously these two fragrances hold a special place in your heart and scent memory!

TrboDieselPwrd

Basenotes Member
Apr 27, 2020
I wasn't worried about it, but was a bit surprised I've never stumbled onto anything. Especially since I've made a ton of Lucky Scent purchases wherein they send me samples of stuff I didn't request.
Sure, perhaps also it might be more difficult to find something randomly in niche vs. designer? As an example, if you had received a bunch of TdH, BdC, [insert more mass appealing scent here] (and somehow had never smelled them before) you might be more likely to find something?

SmellSharpe

Dec 29, 2021
JPG Le Male Le Parfum.

I was hesitant to even take a free sample vial when I purchased a fragrance at a local store as I don’t like many of the Le Male flankers. Le Parfum is really nice on my skin and I ended up buying a 200ml bottle.

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
I was once in a department store trying out fragrances, and was lamenting to the sales associate that original Dior Homme had been discontinued, and when I purchased a Tom Ford bottle, he told me he'd throw one of their old Dior Homme testers in my bag. When I got to the car and opened it up, it was instead Dior Homme Eau. I was initially bummed, but it turned out to be a wonderful fragrance.

ScentsSibyl

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 1, 2015
Last July I ordered an exclusive release of Ormonde Jayne's Gold Elixir. What arrived was a Travel Set (five 10ml sprays), which was also an exclusive, both available only at Selfridges. I offered to return the set, but was told to keep it, and a bottle of Gold Elixir was immediately dispatched. VERY generous! Contained within the Travel Set is a perfume called Persica. It was not yet released at the time, and then only as a limited full-bottle release in August, and I immediately purchased two. So this is how Persica "fell into my lap", dropped me to my knees (figuratively) and is the first perfume in my entire 20+ years of exploration that I have ever, ever considered a "Signature" fragrance for myself.

Jul 14, 2017
A very special Aunt gifted me a bottle of Chanel No. 19 EDT on my 19th birthday. Had never laid nostrils on it before, and I was immediately smitten; I adore it to this day. I always smile and scratch my head when people describe it as a cold, mature scent—it always reminds me of those heady days and nights of newfound adulthood, independence and f-u-n.

Oct 21, 2021
That would be Christian Dior's Poison in Esprit de Parfum. I found it at the vintage store for something like 30 USD. I haven't seen it since 90s, and wasn't even aware of how much I love it. As soon as I opened the stopper, I knew we were meant for each other :love:

Andyjreid

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2008
Knize Ten and Tauer LDDM

Way back at the start of my niche fragrance journey I found Les Senteurs in the UK and back then, although they had a website (or I might have even ordered their paper catalogue), certain products could only be sold in person or over the phone. The fragrances in question were 3 Creed Samples. Like many my age, Creed was my introduction to niche fragrance. If I recall correctly this would have been around 2-3 years after Himalaya had been released so Creed were still quite exclusive (and MUCH cheaper, but still expensive) back then.

Anyway, I spoke to the SA on the phone, ordered my samples and we had a chat about my interest in fragrances and I explained I was only just branching into niche. The SA said that they'd put a few more samples in for me for free.

What turned up was a padded envelope packed with samples, like, at least 20.

2 that stood out for me were Knize Ten and LDDM.

I have some other anecdotes too but they are related to purchases, not just something falling in my lap.

TrboDieselPwrd

Basenotes Member
Apr 27, 2020
Last July I ordered an exclusive release of Ormonde Jayne's Gold Elixir. What arrived was a Travel Set (five 10ml sprays), which was also an exclusive, both available only at Selfridges. I offered to return the set, but was told to keep it, and a bottle of Gold Elixir was immediately dispatched. VERY generous! Contained within the Travel Set is a perfume called Persica. It was not yet released at the time, and then only as a limited full-bottle release in August, and I immediately purchased two. So this is how Persica "fell into my lap", dropped me to my knees (figuratively) and is the first perfume in my entire 20+ years of exploration that I have ever, ever considered a "Signature" fragrance for myself.
This is what dreams are made of! Yes! Thank you for sharing!
THIS BOTTLE was given to me as a gift a few years...uhhh...ahem 🙄😬 decades ago. I love the stuff even more today!
Tiffany FM really is great stuff, I remember it too from those "few" years ago, haha!
A very special Aunt gifted me a bottle of Chanel No. 19 EDT on my 19th birthday. Had never laid nostrils on it before, and I was immediately smitten; I adore it to this day. I always smile and scratch my head when people describe it as a cold, mature scent—it always reminds me of those heady days and nights of newfound adulthood, independence and f-u-n.
Thank you for sharing this, what a lovely story -- and meaningful/clever gift as well!
That would be Christian Dior's Poison in Esprit de Parfum. I found it at the vintage store for something like 30 USD. I haven't seen it since 90s, and wasn't even aware of how much I love it. As soon as I opened the stopper, I knew we were meant for each other :love:
What a great find!

TrboDieselPwrd

Basenotes Member
Apr 27, 2020
Knize Ten and Tauer LDDM

Way back at the start of my niche fragrance journey I found Les Senteurs in the UK and back then, although they had a website (or I might have even ordered their paper catalogue), certain products could only be sold in person or over the phone. The fragrances in question were 3 Creed Samples. Like many my age, Creed was my introduction to niche fragrance. If I recall correctly this would have been around 2-3 years after Himalaya had been released so Creed were still quite exclusive (and MUCH cheaper, but still expensive) back then.

Anyway, I spoke to the SA on the phone, ordered my samples and we had a chat about my interest in fragrances and I explained I was only just branching into niche. The SA said that they'd put a few more samples in for me for free.

What turned up was a padded envelope packed with samples, like, at least 20.

2 that stood out for me were Knize Ten and LDDM.

I have some other anecdotes too but they are related to purchases, not just something falling in my lap.
LADDM is a good one and a game changer for me. Haven't tried the Knize Ten yet. Generous samples is one of things in this hobby that I like best and I think benefits everyone -- you're more likely to find something you like and then support the seller or house that has offered to you.

I think related to purchases is okay too. Thanks for sharing!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...