Fate of Hermès scents since the EU ban on lyral and atranol?

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
A lot of Hermès scents have been pulled from shelves because of the EU ban on Lyral and Atranol (it's a sales ban as well). Equipage (+ the Géranium flanker), Bel Ami (+ Vétiver flanker), Rocabar and more seem to have been affected. Terre D'Hermes Eau Très Fraîche has supposedly been discontinued because of the ban. Eau d'Hermès was gone for half a year but is available again in Europe.

Does anyone know if they will all come back eventually? Are the less popular ones like Équipage Géranium bound to be discontinued? I just started to love that one and didn't get the chance to buy a back-up. It hurts to think that any leftover stock has probably been destroyed by now...

L'Aventurier

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
A lot of Hermès scents have been pulled from shelves because of the EU ban on Lyral and Atranol.
Vetiver Tonka also has Lyral Lilial in it, I wonder if that one is being discontinued as well, as Lilial is newly banned by the EU.
Does anyone know if they will all come back eventually? Are the less popular ones like Équipage Géranium bound to be discontinued? I just started to love that one and didn't get the chance to buy a back-up.

Sometimes it's better to discontinue something than ruin it by reformulation. I think Hermes (and Christine Nagel) made the right choice. If they're re-released at some point, they may have to change the character of each fragrance significantly. Another extremely talented perfumer, Christophe Laudamiel, also had to discontinue one of his own fragrances for The Zoo, because of the Lilial ban.

It hurts to think that any leftover stock has probably been destroyed by now...
I doubt any stock will be destroyed like contraband lol. It'll end up on the grey market / online discounters. Good time to stock up before they end up on Ebay.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Vetiver Tonka also has Lyral Lilial in it, I wonder if that one is being discontinued as well, as Lilial is newly banned by the EU.

Sometimes it's better to discontinue something than ruin it by reformulation. I think Hermes (and Christine Nagel) made the right choice. If they're re-released at some point, they may have to change the character of each fragrance significantly. Another extremely talented perfumer, Christophe Laudamiel, also had to discontinue one of his own fragrances for The Z

I doubt any stock will be destroyed like contraband lol. It'll end up on the grey market / online discounters. Good time to stock up before they end up on Ebay.

It's way too expensive to go buying back-ups of every Hermès I love. It would be nice to know which will be discontinued but I already realize that probably won't happen until it's too late.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019

Most of it already has ended up on the grey market, so anyone looking for deals might be out of luck soon. Vetiver Tonka in particular has been/was all over eBay the past 24 months. All the prestige brands had tons of stuff end up on eBay since the pandemic, which was around when this new ban was known as well. Even Chanel's Exclusifs testers have popped up there in large numbers.

saminlondon

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2011
A lot of Hermès scents have been pulled from shelves because of the EU ban on Lyral and Atranol (it's a sales ban as well). Equipage (+ the Géranium flanker), Bel Ami (+ Vétiver flanker), Rocabar and more seem to have been affected. Terre D'Hermes Eau Très Fraîche has supposedly been discontinued because of the ban. Eau d'Hermès was gone for half a year but is available again in Europe.

Does anyone know if they will all come back eventually? Are the less popular ones like Équipage Géranium bound to be discontinued? I just started to love that one and didn't get the chance to buy a back-up. It hurts to think that any leftover stock has probably been destroyed by now...

Why do you say they've been pulled? Apart from Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraiche and Équipage Géranium, these are all available on the Hermès French website - including Vetiver Tonka.

• Love
Reactions: rum

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Why do you say they've been pulled? Apart from Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraiche and Équipage Géranium, these are all available on the Hermès French website - including Vetiver Tonka.

Oh damn you're right. I was looking at the Belgian Hermès website and online retailers. I had been told by Hermès that they ship from France so it didn't occur to me to check the French site.

It's just hard to get any information on which fragrances are affected by the EU ban. They would no longer be allowed to be sold so any affected fragrance that's available now would already be a new reformulation.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
That's exactly what I thought. It must all be post-pandemic production issues, rather than discontinuation.

A popular department store near me has had stock of the classics on and off throughout 2022, so I would just look around or try to source from a little further afield (neighbouring countries, overseas, etc).

Andylalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 2, 2022
Well, I think it's just wonderful the EU care about my personal health. Very sweet really. I wish there was a way for me to reciprocate. Maybe ban something they want.

Well now we will live longer but smell a little worse :ROFLMAO:

But honestly, these restrictions must be really difficult on the brands. Having to find alternative ways to capture the same scent drives up reformulation costs in R&D alone.

Last edited:

Latest News